Mwahahaha, I killed it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
02-11-09_1505.jpg

It occured to me that I've never posted a pic of my truck, so here's a picture of my sweet, sweet ride....

02-11-09_1506.jpg

Like that? That's my fancy new $5K 9 zillion megapixel digital camera at work. Crystal clear, I know. Only thing that looks better is the LC itself.

No, it's in good shape. Just dirty from sitting, and looking ****py on the jack.

Hey, I was hoping someone could answer this question I had. On, the transfer case, right here...
02-11-09_1507.jpg

...it seems like it's a mount, like it should mount to something on the frame or somewhere. But on my truck, it just sits there, not attached to anything. There's nowhere for it to mount to. Is that normal, or am I missing a piece off the truck? If so, what's it do, out of curiosity?

Thanks for any help.

Jon

P.S. - Wow, cr @ p is a bad word here? Haha!

It is a vibration dampener and is sitting just like it should.

Buck

:confused:

I'll just guess that it's about 310-325lbs. The transfer case alone weighs about 125lbs. That's childs play though. Pulling all 3 still mated together is not.

I am able to lift the tranny assy off of a 97 with no issues.

The xfer case is reasonably heavy, but I was able to lift that from my tailgate and bring it into my house into my living room with no issues as well.

:lol:

Re: weight

Well, it's no joke, that's for sure. I had a tranny jack to help me, but the whole thing was back heavy with the transfer case swinging, and started to slide off the side. I was struggling to catch it. I just eased it down onto the ground.

If the transfer weighs 125 pounds, then yeah, 325 is probably a good estimate. I had the new tranny (sans Xfer) shipped to me, and the shipping company said it was 250 pounds, but that's with a pallet and stuff. 300-350 if I had to bet.

With a good tranny jack, it's totally doable. The hard part is the bolts on top and unplugging hard-to-reach crusted wiring harnesses. To me anyway.

I bet two people would have made it really easy.

The xfer case is reasonably heavy, but I was able to lift that from my tailgate and bring it into my house into my living room with no issues as well.

Anyone who keeps an 80 series transfer case in their living room has issues.... Drivetrain parts belong in the kitchen; living rooms are for extra wheels and forgotten third row seats. :lol::lol:

Yeah Beno thats a little perverse. Next thing you know you will be using the dishwasher to clean parts (works great by the way).

Karl

Maybe I missed it, but why are you pulling the tranny/xfer case assy?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/249976-help-ive-messed-up-my-transmission.html

I never could figure out exactly what I screwed up. I swear everything in the valve body was just as it should have been.

Anyway.... Here I am now.

Jon

So what's your plan for the transmission? Are you replacing it with a rebuilt? Did you ever contact Rodney as was suggested in the earlier thread? If the truck worked before you did the PM on the tranny, then the problem must be related to you removing the valve body. (The different types of ATF you tried would not have prevented the truck from moving at all.)

Well, like I said, I have another tranny sitting here waiting to go in. It's a junkyard tranny, one of the newer '97 ones. So, I'm going to replace some otherwise-hard-to-get-to seals and hoses and stuff while I have the tranny out, and then stab the new one in.

I did contact Rodney, and I honestly can't remember now what it was he suggested, but I remember testing something on the tranny, and it wasn't what he thought it was. Wow, that was a horrible sentence. Anyway, you know what I mean.

I'll be darned if I can figure out what's screwed up. If I had to stake my life on everything in the valve body being put back together just so, I wouldn't hesitate. Yeah. I've gone over it that many times.

It honestly (other than cost of money and time of course) doesn't bother me to take the tranny out. It looks like my PHH has NEVER been touched. I can replace my rear main seal, which looks to have a really minor leak that will only get worse. Heater hoses, breather extensions, new input and output shaft seals, etc. I get to know my truck better, and benefit it, while meeting a challenge.

I am not perverse.

I just have no garage so the living room is just as good as any other room to house a tranny, an extra head, 4 extra drive shafts, PS gear box, extra alternator/starter/AC compressor, intakes/exhaust manifolds, 2 boxes of belts, wires, hoses, plugs, throttle body, 4 spare air filter, one box of oil filters, various weatherstripping, a couple of seats, and, oh yeah, the xfer case as well....

I am not perverse.

I just have no garage so the living room is just as good as any other room to house a tranny, an extra head, 4 extra drive shafts, PS gear box, extra alternator/starter/AC compressor, intakes/exhaust manifolds, 2 boxes of belts, wires, hoses, plugs, throttle body, 4 spare air filter, one box of oil filters, various weatherstripping, a couple of seats, and, oh yeah, the xfer case as well....

yes you are.:flipoff2:

my kind of guy:hillbilly:

I am not perverse.

What I hear you saying is you'll be spending Valentines Day with the crusah :D

Buck

What I hear you saying is you'll be spending Valentines Day with the crusah :D

Buck

Buck has me pegged.....

I am a parts whore.....

:D

It's odd because I'm basically hoarding parts now....and the parts I don't need, I just give away or sell for a very reasonable price. I've got doubles or triples of most all of the important parts needed on an 80 series. Just as an example, every month at AT we do a monthly return of parts that have been sitting on the shelf and have not "moved" in a bunch of months.....in Jan. there were two 80 series long side front axles that had been sitting for eons at AT. I pulled one axle and didn't realize that I needed to pull both axles to return to Toyota.....so when Dan cornered me to harangue me for screwing up, I just said "listen, I'll just buy the axle" so you will get money in return for my screw up...

So the moral of the story is that even when I screw up at AT, I can ramify the situation by buying parts.

:)

Buck has me pegged.....

I am a parts whore.....

:D

It's odd because I'm basically hoarding parts now....and the parts I don't need, I just give away or sell for a very reasonable price. I've got doubles or triples of most all of the important parts needed on an 80 series. Just as an example, every month at AT we do a monthly return of parts that have been sitting on the shelf and have not "moved" in a bunch of months.....in Jan. there were two 80 series long side front axles that had been sitting for eons at AT. I pulled one axle and didn't realize that I needed to pull both axles to return to Toyota.....so when Dan cornered me to harangue me for screwing up, I just said "listen, I'll just buy the axle" so you will get money in return for my screw up...

So the moral of the story is that even when I screw up at AT, I can ramify the situation by buying parts.

:)

You work at AT now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom