Must Remove BJ73 Speedo Alarm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, I'm new here, just wondering if anyone has any insight into a little issue I'm having with my '85 BJ73. When my speedo hits 105 km/h, I start getting a loud beep every 2 or 3 seconds. It doesn't actually prevent me from going faster, its just really annoying. I'm guessing that the truck was part of a commercial fleet when it was in Japan.

Its a little tricky to locate exactly where the "beeping device" is as I have to be going pretty fast to hear it. And being 6'7" its tough to get my head low enough to pin point the location. Any one have any experience with these speed alarms? Just thought I'd give this a try before I start ripping apart my dash.

Thnks

Mine had one too - I think it was a JDM law, not a commercial thing.

Anyway, I pulled over on the side of the highway once and disconnected it. Its under the steering wheel, towards the center hump. Its hard to grab the connector but it can be done, no need to remove anything. It looks like a little box with a protrusion the size of a dime on it for the beeper.

Anyway, I pulled over on the side of the highway once and disconnected it. Its under the steering wheel, towards the center hump. Its hard to grab the connector but it can be done, no need to remove anything. It looks like a little box with a protrusion the size of a dime on it for the beeper.

Thanks for the tip, situation remedied.

I had same issue and remedied same whay, hover I found speedometer was not linear at 100 110. I ended up taking Speedo apart and removed switching mechasimthat was part of Speedo, really strange way Toyota did that.

Amaurer, I am trying to find what you are mentioning, can you put a picture of what I am supposed to disconnect?

How can the 105km speed alarm be converted into a "headlights left on" alarm?

Interesting idea...

Headlight buzzer.JPG

Last edited:
great idea - just need to find a 24v relay -- thanks

I wired the buzzer and the relay in just like the diagram above showed. The door switch was easy to find right behind the drivers kick panel. This is where I also found a hot wire when the headlights were switched on. I attached a ground lug to an existing ground point in that area as well. I just took the speedo alarm from its existing spot and it is down behind that kick panel with the relay. Works great! It is a steady buzzing when your headlights are on and either door is open. Perfect!

Thanks for the idea @John Galt

IMG_8728.JPG

It's kinda refreshing to see the word "speed" and "70 Series Land Cruiser" used in the same sentence. :)

Speedo alarm on a BJ70 is an oxymoron, maybe goes off once every decade:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom