Must have tool list for working on 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been thinking about a 20 ton press. Do you use the Harbor Freight model?
Yep. I’ve used it for all sorts of things like bushings, bearings/races, wheel studs, u-joints, struts...

I keep all my old bearings and races to use as press tools. Just cut the cages off the bearings.

Just buy this and a trailer. Should have about 3/4 of what you might need

46e1ed37295807e535f62abd7e1257cd.jpg

This can be a real rabbit hole. On top of the recommendations above you have to ask yourself, what maintenance and/or mods are going to be going yourself?

Axle rebuilds, head gasket, re-gear?

Honestly my 20-ton press has paid for itself more than 10 fold.

Other things I use more often than some others might use.

Feeler gauges
Brass drifts
Dead blow hammer
Brass hammer
Mechanist dial and stand
Bearing spitter
Bearing pullers
Seal and race driver
Seal puller
Snap ring pliers
Retaining ring pliers
Metric Tap and die set
Micrometer
Beam style inch lbs torque wrench
Variety of torque wrenches ranging from 5-350 ft lbs
Welder
Angle grinder
Cut off wheels
die grinder

And a really big toolbox
View attachment 1913155

Hey @chap79....funny you mention the 20 ton press, thinking about moseying over to HF and get myself one. Could come in handy for that Toytec lift I need to install. Haha. Hope you’re well my friend!

By far the tools I’m most happy to have when I use them are my ratcheting box wrenches. I have both standard combo style and a set of long handled flex heads. They all make work much easier.

For front axle work the cheap HR seal kit is idea for pounding in seals nice and flat. And a good set of brass drifts or punches for bearing race work is nice.

I’m also a believer in the basic HR 20T press. If you need to replace your suspension bushings the Wit-End press kit is worth the money in time saved.

A decent quality torque wrench should also be part of your kit.

Like others have said get the basics and add speciality stuff as you go and projects present themselves.

Last edited:
^^^^^ usually twisted them off by hand; had a filter last year that would NOT budge with any method; didn't want to drive something through it for leverage; ^^^ this oil filter socket is the absolute best way to remove them.

I would like to add a set of Knipex parallel pliers. Right now they are my all time favorite tool, I use the smaller 10" pair a ton. They are non marring, and are basically like a box end wrench set in one tool. You'll never grab a normal set of pliers to work on your truck again.

Witsend sells a set of JIS drivers that have been great, I like them a lot.

Felo Wood handled drivers for everything else, they are a pleasure and a joy to use. Shank goes full through the handle so you can give them a wack if you need to. They also have wrench flats on under the handle if you need some extra leverage.

snap-on 14/17 combo wrench, youll be able to disassembly about 90% of anything that Toyota has ever made.

be smart with your money and spend the money on the things that your going to use the most and get tools when their on sale.

This is a really helpful thread, but I wanna avoid buying pricey specialized tools I might only use once or not at all; I can't get too in the weeds here in my apartment complex.

Anyway I want to do the following maintenance before the summer heat sets in:

-Water pump, tstat, radiator hoses
-steering pump reseal, new hose
-Brake booster

This is basically the extent of my toolset:

1647480647126.png

Tools_02.jpg

I'm thinking maybe a decent impact and wobble extension would be good.. Any recommendations?

Anything else essential for these kind of jobs? Do I need a torque wrench? Thanks.

@Ozark80. Looks like you're most of the way there. Yes you need a torque wrench. It's a good insurance policy against stuff coming loose when you don't want it to. Also good to guard against overtightening.

A small impact is a good idea. I have a 1/4 porter cable (lowes) cordless, a 1/2 corded and a couple air impacts and all I ever really use is the cordless. It makes about 100ft/lbs and that's enough to get most stuff done.

You should also have a breaker bar if some sort. Harbor freight makes a nice extendable 1/2 socket wrench that can be used as a breaker.

Some flex head ratcheting wrenches are a must. They can get into all the tiny spaces that a socket can't.

a nice set of ratchet wrenches is a good idea, some swivel sockets and a nice assortment of extensions to round everything out and you should be pretty good for most things. of your going to tackle the axles at some point youll need an axle nut socket, the front is a 54mm and the rear youll need a sst for that

I'm wondering how necessary an impact wrench is for working on these things?

If so, anybody have recommendations for a good bang for buck option?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom