MUST have spare parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few questions based on my experience wheeling this weekend with some friends (one fuel pump failure) and general inexperience

Aside from the 'usual' stuff you should carry (fluids, belts, hoses, fuses, etc) but not on the extreme expedition level (new ECU, drive shafts), what are some absolute must have's to get out on your own power?

- Fuel pump seems to be one of them. How much are these?
- Starter - can you bump start without one?
- Alternator - can you still run (eg no lights)?
- If birf blows, can you just remove everything, stick a sock in it (the one holding the beer), flip on the center diff lock and drive to the trail head?

How would you rank first to last what you should buy/bring?

Cheers, Hugh

[quote ]
- Fuel pump seems to be one of them. How much are these?

Only know of 1 that failed on the trail. However have heard of the fuel sock being plugged up.

[quote ]
- Starter - can you bump start without one?

Again, never heard of one fail, other than contacts. I would do preventative maintenance and replace the contacts and cary a spare set.

[quote ]
- Alternator - can you still run (eg no lights)?

Depends on how good your battery is.

[quote ]
- If birf blows, can you just remove everything, stick a sock in it (the one holding the beer), flip on the center diff lock and drive to the trail head?

Yes, but I can bet you that when you broke it, you were in a bad spot. Now you are in a bad spot with 3 wheel drive. Try to drive it out in 3 wheel drive and you will brake the other side. Now you have 2 wheel drive. Been there, done that. And that was with 315's on the SchoolBus.

I carry

Front and Rear Driveshaft.
All axle shafts
2 birfields
seals for axles
both side steering arms.
complete bolt set for front and rear axle
2 spindles
1 front hub
tie rod
relay rod (just for you CDan :D)
set of rod ends
spare rear control arm
on-board welder

How would you rank first to last what you should buy/bring?

Cheers, Hugh

Great:

Thanks Christo - I think I'll just drive along behind you! I think you should move to Ontario.

Cheers, Hugh

PS I'm getting ready to buy the sliders (probably in the new year after bonuses ar paid ::)) - too worried this weekend about banging the sills. I need to look into shipping? When you shipped stuff to MTN, who was the carrier?

Christo,

It wasn't me boss, ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom