Multiple cruisers, one key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I’ve got a customer with 3 cruisers. One of them is an LX 450, The other two are 96 and 97. Two of them have door locks that don’t work in either the passenger door, or the liftgate. One of them has one key that fits the door and another the ignition.

He wants me to put in new ignition locks and rekey all the ignitions and door locks to a single key. Switch the lx450 to cruiser locks.

In one way, it sounds like a great idea, a single key fits everything. Simple for sure.

The biggest issue I have with it is if you were ever going to sell one, you would want to rekey it.

Has anyone ever tackled this and went the minimalist route to a single key?

Meh....do you really need to re-key it?

Is a buyer going to know that his key works for your other trucks and even if he does is he going to come and steal your truck or are you going to go steal his? Is having a key what makes someone or stops someone from being a car thief?

I wouldn't put too much into that if it were me....

Meh....do you really need to re-key it?

Is a buyer going to know that his key works for your other trucks and even if he does is he going to come and steal your truck or are you going to go steal his? Is having a key what makes someone or stops someone from being a car thief?

I wouldn't put too much into that if it were me....
Agreed. Good point. If they’re buying one if his 80’s fir 30K+ they’re probably not going to try their key on his other cruisers. Good point.

For simplicity I get the desire. Especially when there are enough lock issues that it makes sense.

i like the idea of one key to rule them all

in the off chance he sells one, its not like the new owner is going to even think to try his key in the other cruisers. have you ever tried your key in another cruiser? i know i haven't.

growing up, my friends dad had a story where he realized that his key operated an identical car on his street. so he'd move the other guys car around the block just to f with him :D

I go to great lengths to match key types for customers for a myriad of applications. But never for doors/ignition on multiple trucks. I get the appeal.

Last edited:
Have you ever Re-Keyed a 80 series Land Cruiser Ignition Lock Cylinder before ?

just curious , if you have thought of the Liability of this Client Request ?

i personally would bow out because its a risky end goal for the client to have this ....

What about installing remote start and keyless entry on all 3 and code to a couple remotes?
edit:keep the key to each truck hidden in each truck and easily accessed when inside.

i wouldnt even bother, unless hes willing to spring for all new ignition and door cylinders on all three trucks then pay for your time to rekey 2 sets. while im sure that it would be nice to have one key for all three, for me it wouldnt be worth the hassle

Have you ever Re-Keyed a 80 series Land Cruiser Ignition Lock Cylinder before ?

just curious , if you have thought of the Liability of this Client Request ?

i personally would bow out because its a risky end goal for the client to have this ....
I’ve never rekeyed an ignition cylinder, but either I or my friendly locksmith will do it. I’m not sure what the liability is, what are you thinking?

i wouldnt even bother, unless hes willing to spring for all new ignition and door cylinders on all three trucks then pay for your time to rekey 2 sets. while im sure that it would be nice to have one key for all three, for me it wouldnt be worth the hassle
He has no issue with paying for all new locks as long as he gets his end result.

80 series and lx450 locks are nothing special in regards to rekeying. But this sounds like a PITA with keyless entry. Would you put all three fobs on the "master" key and then just cycle through each to get the right one? At that point just put all three keys on one ring!

I did see where someone posted that they did a push button start on a Landcruiser. If you could make that same pushbutton work on all three cruisers, that might be an option. Otherwise, I ordered 12 new locks.

Seems like a great idea to me.
I can see no liability on you part.
Just another job well done.

I wish all my junk had the same key. 😉

He has no issue with paying for all new locks as long as he gets his end result.

if hes willing to pay make the headache worth your while. what i would do is find out what locksmiths in the area would be charging for the rekey, take an average of the price then add in the labor for doing the cylinders and theres your total.

or price it so that if he says no you win, or if he says yes you really win :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom