Multi-Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Do you guys use these things and if so do you have a preference and why?
Thanks

Absolutely. I got my first leatherman in 1990 and have packed one ever since.
I usually have a Leatherman Juice S2 in my pocket every day, or if on a wheeling trip there will be a Wave on me or close by.
I like the form factor of the S2 for edc.

I have several of them, a big Gerber and several Leathermen. Different types. Don't use them much around the house cuz I got much better tools but will pack one for road trips, camping etc. In fact, I pack the tiny ones more than the big ones on a EDC sort of basis, not in the way in the bottom of a jeans pocket and less conspicuous at the office than a big belt-hung affair.
When it comes to tinkering, the Gerber has the advantage of the pliers being made ready one-handed with a flick. That could help in some awkward situations (and of course the babe magnet factor when doing that is off the charts... :D)

I have the Gerber one on the top that you posted. I keep it in my 93 in the arm rest. It’s fine. I actually like the pliers on my Leatherman better because they are spring loaded. The Gerber was also more than twice the cost.

I've got a Leatherman stowed in the glove box of each vehicle but I rarely have need for them. Still, I feel a bit better having them onboard.

I carry a Leatherman Surge, I love it! It's big, bulky and super useful. I would like to see the pocket clip made stronger as I have broken 3 of them. Now it just sits in the bottom of my pocket or in the console. I recently ordered an Emerson folding knife to carry instead of always carrying my surge, and instead keep the surge in my car at all times.

Lots of folks have them including myself but I mostly see them in a drawer or truck pocket. Great if you cant find real tools but just don't use much

I keep a Leatherman in all three of my Toyotas. I just bought a really cool pocket knife from Leatherman called the Skeletool KB, super sharp and also has a bottle opener, so light and unobtrusive you don't even know you have it on you. $24 amazon.

Last edited:
I EDC the Leatherman Skeletool in front jeans pocket with the clip. Very unobtrusive and doesn't scare the snowflakes. It's very minimalistic and light. Truth be told I use the knife multiple times a day and the pliers once a week maybe. The interchangeable screwdriver bits are awesome. And yeah the bottle opener occasionally,

Bigger more complex Leatherman in vehicles and packs. Not a fan of Gerber.

I have one in every bag and one in my truck. A leatherman PST, Leatherman Wave with bit driver/bits and a Gerber suspension multi plier. I also EDC the gerber dime on my key chain.

I think I've carried some type of multitool ever since the first leatherman came out. They're great for quick repairs when you don't have or don't need real tools.

I've tried most of the major brands of multi tools, and the one I carry right now is the Victorinox Swisstool spirit. It's the perfect compromise between size and performance. In each car I have a SOG power pliers, they're good tools but just way too heavy to carry around on a daily basis. Leatherman has the most options, but the quality is just average, they just don't feel as finished as the Victorinox or SOG. I carry one of the TSA friendly leathermans for airline travel. The Gerbers are cool with the one hand opening feature, but IMO the quality is the worst of all the major brands. They feel cheap compared to SOG/Leatherman/Victorniox, and isn't a tool I would trust for any type of heavy use.

Last edited:
I tried to fly international with a Leatherman Skeletool in my carry on. Oops. It had flown with me domestic like 3 times(whether it's supposed to or not).
I've always liked the Leatherman wave, and I have a Gerber with spring loaded pliers that I like as well Legend 800. Was not 111 bucks when I bought mine.
Also, I have first hand experience with Gerbers warranty process. In short; Amazing! I sent 2 multi-tools in (one snapped off plier jaw, and one Legend missing half of the knife blade) Got 2 brand new ones back.

I like my SOG. It was a gift from my son about 3 yrs ago. Before, I just carried a pocket knife and now I feel naked with out the multi-tool. Pics:
Multi-Tool is 4 & 1/4" Long, 1 & 3/16" wide at widest point and 9/16" thick (15/16 at pocket clip). Actually, this model is called "Switch Plier".

IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG

Knife blade comes razor sharp & screwdrivers are good quality tips. Screwdriver tips can be selected and tool closed up for ease of use as the screwdriver handle.
IMG_0927.JPG

The pliers are high quality and bite is precise. Tool has been very useful.
IMG_0929.JPG

Push button pops it open & unlocks it to close. Tool tips can be selected without popping tool open by pulling silver handle open, select & unfold tip, then close silver handle as shown below with file tool selected.
IMG_0925.JPG

Edited to remove pics taken with my Amazon Fire tablet and replace with pics taken with my iPhone 5, which has a better camera.

Last edited:
I've got several. I think they are all Leatherman. I keep the bigger ones the vehicles or in my get home bag. But I do EDC a skeletool. I love it. Use several times a day. Knife, pliars, screw driver, bottle opener. Use all of it frequently. I carry the Leatherman signal when I go camping, hunting, or wheeling. It's a little bigger but I really like it as well. Leaterman's warranty is also top notch. I broke the pliars on a skeletool. They sent me new one. No questions asked.

Even the so called TSA compliant multitools aren’t always allowed, just found that out a couple days ago. Had my leather man style PS confiscated on a return trip from Asia. No knife blade, only sharp edge is a small scissors, but trying to explain that to foreign security officers just wasn’t worth it when I had a flight to catch. Flown with it many other times before and flying from the US with it was no problem, but on the way back they were picking at everything. So I’ll probabaly go back to carrying another cheap $5 knockoff tool for airline trips.

I have one of these Victorinox tools in my glove box. I like that every tool you fold out locks in place. Not sure any of the others do that as well. And I've never used a better set of tiny scissors on a multi tool/knife as on these Swiss Army tools.

Check this out:SwissTool X

8929199390750_celum_140478_640Wx560H.jpg

what? no corkscrew? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom