Muffler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lentelconstruction.com
The muffler (original) in my 94 FZJ80 is needing to be replaced. The internals let go and it rattles like crazy. I am wondering what kind of mufflers guys are using with the stock piping. Are there any that will give a bit more power without being crazy loud? Tried finding a Magnaflow but can't seem to find one that works size wise.

I did a lot of research on this topic a while back, also looking for more of a growl without replacing the entire exhaust. Personally I would stay away from magnaflow as guys are saying that they are too loud on the highway and they just don't seem to be happy with them.
Your stock muffler body is 23 1/2" long, the flowmaster below has a total length of 23" and if you use the dynomax mega clamps (below) in a OD to ID lap style it should just bolt in.
Just sawzall the stock pipe as close as you can to the muffler at either end.
The stock muffler is 9" round, the flowmaster is like 5 x 10" I believe, so it should fit and clear the driveshaft.
The flowmaster mufflers are a bit more expensive but I think a little more R and D went into their product and they have a deeper sound that I like and a sturdy welded case to boot.

links below:

50 Series SUV / Perf. 2.25" C/C [52455] : Flowmaster Inc. Exhaust Shop, Love That Sound!

Dynomax Performance 33975 - Dynomax Mega Clamps - summitracing.com

I did a lot of research on this topic a while back, also looking for more of a growl without replacing the entire exhaust. Personally I would stay away from magnaflow as guys are saying that they are too loud on the highway and they just don't seem to be happy with them.
Your stock muffler body is 23 1/2" long, the flowmaster below has a total length of 23" and if you use the dynomax mega clamps (below) in a OD to ID lap style it should just bolt in.
The stock muffler is 9" round, the flowmaster is like 5 x 10" I believe, so it should fit and clear the driveshaft.
The flowmaster mufflers are a bit more expensive but I think a little more R and D went into their product and they have a deeper sound that I like and a sturdy welded case to boot.

links below:

50 Series SUV / Perf. 2.25" C/C [52455] : Flowmaster Inc. Exhaust Shop, Love That Sound!

I used the 70 series which is basically the same as the 50 series except that it is a tad more narrow which also contributes to a nice fit.

It sounds very good. I do recommend using a the stock resonator or else an exhaust insert to lower drone at higher rpms.

Thanks. Sounds like the one I should use. I want more power but don't want to kill the kiddies ears.

Should I leave the small muffler at the end of the exhaust?

Should I leave the small muffler at the end of the exhaust?
If you don't want to kill the kiddy's ears I would. You will have exhaust drone at freeway speeds if you do not have a resonator or an exhaust insert.

If it were me I would leave it on, drive it and if the exhaust isn't loud enough for you then cut it off. Its there to work with the muffler and cancel out any of the annoying sound frequencies ......... give it a go and let me know the results.

Almost everything is iilegal in CA. Does replacing the muffler count?

did you end up with a flowmaster greg? which one? i pinched my piping bad today, and think im going to go with a frame over route with a new lower profile muffler. dont mind a tiny bit louder, a touch over stock. ill be keeping the end resonator. was thinking of flowmaster or a dynomax.

is stock piping 2.25 OD?

linky no worky.

i ended up with a thrush muffler which is made by dynomax i think. the exhaust piping really sticks out there...they werent able to do a frame over without a body lift. its louder than stock but not overly so. most of the drone comes from partial throttle between 1-2k.

now i gotta think of some way to skid the under frame piping...i can see myself hitting there again :( stupid toyota exhaust routing

I've been happy with the muffler I purchased from United Muffler. They are built well and the prices are pretty darn good for the quality.

United Muffler

IIRC I went with the B-0045, 2nd from bottom in right column.

No affiliation etc, etc just a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Linkie now workie....I got a little pissy in my post...but man you dudes and chics did not come to my rescue!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, the pipe size seems to be exactly the same....so I think it's a 2.5" pipe.

I happen to actually be driving the truck now so if anyone wants some pics of the installed muffler just say so and I'll try to shoot some tonight.

Figgy

Linkie now workie....I got a little pissy in my post...but man you dudes and chics did not come to my rescue!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, the pipe size seems to be exactly the same....so I think it's a 2.5" pipe.

I happen to actually be driving the truck now so if anyone wants some pics of the installed muffler just say so and I'll try to shoot some tonight.

Figgy

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics if you can post em up.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics if you can post em up.

If I don't get to it in a day or two someone PM me and I'll take some shots of my bad-mo-fo of a muffler and make all you envy me!!!!

Hah...unlikely!!! Very VERY unlikely...but it works!

links below:

This post is helpful except the links don't work anymore. I'm looking for a part number for the weld in 50 series Flowmaster that welds in place pretty easily. Been searching for a while. Lots of folks mention the flowmaster but I haven't found a PN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom