Muffler: sound + power upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Is there a commonly accepted muffler upgrade to get a "better' sound out of a 2F? I'd like a more powerful sound without getting noisy or really loud.... thoughts? A small power improvement would be nice too...

Mark

Is there a commonly accepted muffler upgrade to get a "better' sound out of a 2F? I'd like a more powerful sound without getting noisy or really loud.... thoughts? A small power improvement would be nice too...

Mark

Mark, I like my Flowmaster 50 series- 2.5" in/out. It has a drone to it and very throaty but, I like it. It's hard to answer this as everyone's ear for a nice sound differs tremendously.

Go to Flowmasters website and they have sound clips. I assume the other mfg do as well.

GL

J

There is a three foot Cherry Bomb sitting on the shelf waiting for the OEM muffler to die. With any luck the 2F will sound like an Austin Healy. The cat has been replaced with a length of pipe to the muffler.

I can dream, right?

Flowmaster 50 series SUV. It's throaty without the drone.

Flowmaster 50 series SUV. It's throaty without the drone.

Must be the difference between the SUV and Delta models. Mine had a slight drone above 65mph, not too bad, on the old cruiser. Haven't gotten over 40mph in the new build, so hard to tell on this one.

What size pipe you running B?

J

my vote is magnaflow

I had the flowmaster on my 40 and for me it was a little too much. not much to much...just a little. I put Magnaflow on my 60 and 40. IMHO just a tad more tame sounding.

I have a customer's '85 sitting in my garage getting a mini-make over. His exhaust consists of a hi-flow cat and 36" cherrybomb. Other than the manifold leak which is getting fixed, it sounded pretty good. Tailpipe exits behind the DS wheel. No drone, just a nice solid exhaust note.

I'm uploading a video of what my Summit muffler sounds like.

Here it is

Took that about a week ago. I like it a lot. Definitely happy for the money I spent.

Yep, they make three different 50 series mufflers.;) Cant remember the pipe dia, but I want to say 2.25 from the cat back.

Must be the difference between the SUV and Delta models. Mine had a slight drone above 65mph, not too bad, on the old cruiser. Haven't gotten over 40mph in the new build, so hard to tell on this one.

What size pipe you running B?

J

I put a Flowmaster 40 series on mine with stock diameter pipe sizes, also a Magnaflow High Flow Cat, it doesn't resonate in the cab that much, but I think it gets a little loud up and down hills with the engine doing the work... I found a youtube clip of a 60 with a 40 series Flowmaster to hear what it sounded like before I bought it. I think you can just do a search for "Flowmaster on a FJ60" on Google and a couple videos come up

i have a thrush welded 2.25", gutted cat, and tri Y header.
it has a rather throaty sound, is not loud if not in it. all in all i like it. the only thing i could do is up the pipe size, it is currently 2" all the way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom