Muffler Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know of a good muffler shop that can fabricate custom work in the areas of Silver Spring/Laurel/Rockville/Gaithersburg? I am looking to replace the exhaust system on my 1996 FZJ80.

Thanks.

You can try Midas or Meineke, I know at least Midas does custom exhaust work but not sure if they would take up on an 80. They usually have premade/precut tubes in stock, mostly for popular cars and suvs. How do you plan to replace your exhaust system? Borla makes a good one. But if you simply want to replace the mufler, go with the OEM, that's what I did. I can't remember the name of any other vendor(s) at this moment.

Riad said:
You can try Midas or Meineke, I know at least Midas does custom exhaust work but not sure if they would take up on an 80. They usually have premade/precut tubes in stock, mostly for popular cars and suvs. How do you plan to replace your exhaust system? Borla makes a good one. But if you simply want to replace the mufler, go with the OEM, that's what I did. I can't remember the name of any other vendor(s) at this moment.

I do not trust the Midas in my area (Silver Spring). I took my FJ40 there just to get the exhaust hangers replaced. They balked saying that there was too much rust. I did it myself, as I should have in the first place, and it is nice and snug.

I am looking for a shop that has some creativity and can do a nice custom job without sucking me dry of cash.

The only custom shop I know that has a good rep is Specialty Exhaust - 1.7 miles SW - 10398 Southern Maryland Blvd, Dunkirk, MD - 410/286-3367.

I haven't used them myself, but have heard good things about them. They are also known for stainless work.

Blue77FJ40 said:
The only custom shop I know that has a good rep is Specialty Exhaust - 1.7 miles SW - 10398 Southern Maryland Blvd, Dunkirk, MD - 410/286-3367.

I haven't used them myself, but have heard good things about them. They are also known for stainless work.

Thanks for the information. I have contacted Rayco AutoService in Silver Spring (closer) as they advertise doing custom and stainless work. I will let you know what I find out.

For what it's worth, I have had quite a time with my 96' Cruiser exhaust replacement. You may not have any of the expectations I did (and still have) but you might want to hear my woes before you make your decisions--see the 'exhaust woes' thread.

Muffler Shop Update

I took the 80 to Rayco Auto Service at Georgia and East-West Highway in Silver Spring. (http://raycoauto.net) I chose to try them out as they were close and advertised that they do custom bending and stainless.

After they put it up on the lift I went through the the issues I knew about (bad down stream 02 sensor, welded cats where it leaked, rust, rust, booty-fab) I started with the questions about what could be done: Dual exhaust was nixed as there was not enough room with the drive shafts and frame rails in places to make it possible. When I asked about stainless, he pointed out the areas where there were multiple 90 degree bends and how tight it was at the frame above the rear axle. He said bending stainless that way at 3" could not be done and at 2.5 " difficult. He said he could cut the cats out between the 02 sensor bungs and mount in a universal OBDII cat. I asked him if he could do two back-to-back, and he was able to. Even had them mounted sideways to try to keep the heat down. Also had him finesse the rusty blobs of nuts on the 02 sensor flanges off of the studs so the new sensors could be installed. The price was not bad for D.C/Metro, and was expected (~$500)

What I liked most about the shop was that I could be in the work area and watch and make suggestions (like putting the cats sideways) while they worked on it. Very friendly, clean shop that has been in business for a long time (current owner has been there for 20 years, shop has been there for 40). Only bummer was after it was all done, a leak in the muffler was noticed as the white smoke clear out from the welds. The seam at the rear has separated, but it is not a loud or noticible leak. I will be replacing that next. Cruiser is still quiet and does not sound like a box of bees.

The shop also does upholstry (leather included), BK products (such as trans. flush replacing with synthetic) and uses Amsoil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom