muddy engine cleanup + couple easy mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After my last wheelin trip I've washed the truck probably 5 times but haven't cleaned up the engine... I didn't know if i could hose most stuff down or not, use a degreaser, etc... Any suggestions on cleaning up an engine that looks like this now???

I also removed my gold pinstriping and added my clear singal lights / clear corners which is giving the cruiser a much cleaner look (second pic)... Stupid brush guard going soon... Holding out for the slee front bumper if it ever comes out...
muddyengine.jpg
clearcornernopinstripes.jpg

Simple Green had been recommended to me but I don't like it. It gets grease and grime off, but also takes coloring off logos, took the white diagram off the top of the fuse box cover, etc.

Since the 100 doesn't have a distributor you're pretty safe to hose it down, careful of the intake area.

I've sprayed off the motor in my '98 dozens of times at the carwash. I just try not to get too close with the nozzle, and I make sure the engine (especially exhaust manifolds) is cool. No problems in ten years. You could eat off of mine most of the time.

Get one of those nozzles with the bottle attached to put on your garden hose. Put some Dawn dish detergent in the bottle and spray away......wash it down good, then take off bottle and rinse. Just do it when the engine is cold and you shouldn't have any problems. I usually do my engine bay in the morning after I wake up and before the engine has been started.

I don't have a high pressure washer at home, so I go to the self-serve car wash with a bucket of quarters. Been doing it for 20 years without incident, even with a distributor. Just be somewhat careful where you spray at high pressure. When you consider that the dirty water that splashed all over your engine was not preheated, nor is a rainstorm and puddles on the road or a stream, you really don't have to worry about the engine temperature when doing a high pressure spray. It will only take you about 2-3 minutes to get that grime off anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom