'Mud Paddle Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So - some interest in an Atlanta paddle trip came up over in the 100 picture thread. What better way to blow a Summer day in this town than spend it on a river? Possibly plan a lunch/cookout mid-way?

Thoughts?

Date? UPDATE: 7/23

Speak up.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me! I have an inter-tube you can tow me:doh:

Count me in , I think the lower section at the dam would be easy to run and do pick up and drop off.

Or if people want to take it slower we could ......

DSC00119.JPG

I'm in if I have a few weeks notice. How do we notify the other ATL Mudders? I have seen a lot pop up in the 100 section over the last year.

Got it...We should all put a link to this in our sig. Then we could keep doing this for other outings.

Also, Somebody notify Griffin. I bet he would be down for this.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me! I have an inter-tube you can tow me:doh:

Haha - There's enough flow for tubes between Buford Dam and Settles Bridge. That water is consistently 47-50 degrees, but the former outfitter has run 1000s of people through there on tubes.

Dates: 7/16? or 7/23? If ya'll are cool w kids (my 12yo-in his own kayak & 10yo) the 23rd is best for me. I'll be solo if we go 7/16.

Time: will be last minute, since the Corps don't post the dam release schedule until a day or 2 before. Also note: The Corps require lifejackets worn and fastened between the dam and Hwy 20.

Shuttle: We'll need to figure out some kind of system once we see who's coming.

Last edited:
Dates: 7/16? or 7/23? If ya'll are cool w kids (my 12yo-in his own kayak & 10yo) the 23rd is best for me. I'll be solo if we go 7/16.
Spare Canoe: Spoken for - Nick

sounds like fun but the baseball game is on the 17th. look at the events calendar thread above so there are no conflicts with pre-scheduled club events, thanks

Last edited:
I'm up for doing something like this. Will more than likely be in a 2-man canoe with the 12-year old. And packing a lunch sounds good.

I'm hit or miss with my weekend schedule for the rest of June and July. Few things going on, but I'll do my best.

Soooooo. 7/23?
(having looked at the calendar for this group)

Last edited:
Lets go with that date, the 23 july, then we can start the planning

works for me.

Sounds like fun - but will likely be up in SC on the 23rd.
I'll keep an eye on this thread if my schedule changes...

23rd of July. I will cancel my jet setting for that day. I guess I need to buy a canoe. Last time I did this trip I had a 100oz CamelBak filled with Red Bull and Vodka. I ended up at Twisted Taco in Midtown still wearing (and drinking out of) my hydration pack. Made it the whole night without incident.

Now I'm a father, so I will have to tone it down a notch...or three.

Lotta poop in the hooch. I would make sure you go north of the city at this time of year. The e coli load, etc is really high as the heat goes up.

Lotta poop in the hooch. I would make sure you go north of the city at this time of year. The e coli load, etc is really high as the heat goes up.
Party-pooper.

i got a 15.5 foot canoe for father's day. if i'm not working, the fam and i are in. is there a spot/river chosen yet?

Just saw this but was in on it over in hundyland. I'll be out of town the 23rd so will have to miss this one but always up for time on the river. Could do the 16th if for some reason the 23rd falls apart.

I threw out Buford Dam to Settles Bridge because I know it well. Easy to get to for most of us. There is a new outfitter trying to start up on hwy 20 at the river (where Up the River Outfitters was)- so shuttling through them might work. Plenty of good sand-bars to stop for lunch/hang out/swim/fish. The water release schedule can be odd, and we may have to tweek launch time a day before.

The Turbidity/Ecoli/Poo concern is minimal at the base of the dam. It's not until you get to Suwanee creek below Settles does it seem to jump up- usually after a hard rain. South of Atl, we're talking 200-350 million gallons of "treated" sewage being introduced daily... no thanks.

OPTIONS: If anyone prefers doing some of the upper Chattahochee or Etowah - I'd be very interested in that as long as it's Class II or less - but there's enough water moving to keep it fun. There's an outfitter on the upper Chattahoochee that we can use for shuttling: Chattahoochee River Rafting Trips – Wildwood Outfitters Here's one for the Etowah or Chestatee: Appalachian Outfitters: Canoe, Kayak and Tubing Trips in North Georgia.

Surely some of you know these other rivers. Speak up. What's the best bang for our buck/drive time/scenery?

Thoughts? Suggestions? We have some time to think about it. I figure we can nail down the trip location, do roll call and discuss outfitter/shuttling the week of 7/4.

The Etowah is one of the best for being out there, but is hard to put in a take out. The river it self is not exciting unless the water is high and then can be dangerous with strainers and tree falls. Last time I ran it I was on the water for 8 hrs. and had to pull over several large trees.

I have never run the upper hooch and would be up for that too.

The Chestatee River is another which is fun as long as there is water. There is even an old diversion tunnel you can run if your up for the excitement. along with a large copper mine to look at and one water fall to port around but makes a great place to swim. This river has become hard to run and we would have one major portage at the copper mine.

Details Coming Together

I propose we hit the upper Chattahoochee in Helen. I don't think there's the same concern over water levels as the Etowah or Chestatee. There's an outfitter with fair shuttle pricing, and there's rental boats available if needed. Chattahoochee River Rafting Trips – Wildwood Outfitters

Check out the writeups on each section.

I propose we rally from somewhere off 400 or 985 or meet up there at 9:00-9:30am on the 23rd & do either Section 1 or Section 1 & 2 together. It's a casual paddle I'm comfortable letting my 12 year old run in his kayak.

ROLL CALL & Trip Preference - Please Reply

Name: Matt
# of Guests: 2
Rental Needed (see site for details): No
Preferred trip: Sec 1 or Sec 1 & 2?: 1 & 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom