Builds Mr. Torgue's 2010 GX460 build (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the tune something that has to be done in person? If so Texas is a little far from Nevada. 😄
Reach out to Joey to see if there is another YotaWerx tuner near you. There's one in Arizona I know.

Milestone.

367C1475-E349-428E-A2E3-88420D604E5B.jpeg

Had a P0107 code for a MAP sensor issue but none of the typical symptoms were occurring. Pulled the MAP sensor today and it was a bit dirty, so I cleaned it. Then saw this:
62A872C2-F802-44A2-96CE-EB46C683118C.jpeg

So yea, maybe it was time to replace it after 170k miles. I couldn't wait for an OEM part since we're about ready to move so I had to buy a chineseium part on amazon in the interim until we reach our new house. Going to see if the code goes away this weekend. I'll e eventually get an OEM replacement.

8 months ownership in and my wife and I are ready to be done with domestic vehicle ownership. We are going to likely sell/trade this RAM 2500 for a 2019-2021 Tundra Limited or Platinum and be done with non-Toyota ownership. We'll sacrifice a brilliant interior, creature comforts and overall capability in the RAM for utterly reliability and dependability you get with a Toyota. My GX has 2.5x the mileage as the RAM yet is light years beyond dependable. I don't have problems with my Toyota/Lexus products. I trust my GX, I feel like I know every nut, bolt and how it feels. I don't trust domestic trucks anymore as all three have way too many issues.

309BB478-EC7E-4FB8-A1BA-BEB2C0FAADA3.jpeg

Damn. What is wrong with it? On the Hemi too!

FYI - my FIL has a '99 Cummins that is 100% stock, unmolested, and still going strong (but probably has had a transmission or two). We're gonna out-grow our current camper at some point and want a bigger TV - leaving options of a Tundra, which might be over-matched for a 7K camper, or rolling the dice on a domestic truck.

IMO: That '99 Cummins is of a far different era for simplicity and reliability
It's basically a tractor with a Dodge body on top of it. 24V 6BT, Dana 70 rear, Dana 60 front, questionable transmission, and a body that's done well because my FIL keeps takes good care of his stuff. I'm sure it shares very little with @MrTorgue's Mopar, but Dodge does have some ultra-reliable rigs. I was hoping the new Hemi powered HD trucks would be better.

8 months ownership in and my wife and I are ready to be done with domestic vehicle ownership. We are going to likely sell/trade this RAM 2500 for a 2019-2021 Tundra Limited or Platinum and be done with non-Toyota ownership. We'll sacrifice a brilliant interior, creature comforts and overall capability in the RAM for utterly reliability and dependability you get with a Toyota. My GX has 2.5x the mileage as the RAM yet is light years beyond dependable. I don't have problems with my Toyota/Lexus products. I trust my GX, I feel like I know every nut, bolt and how it feels. I don't trust domestic trucks anymore as all three have way too many issues.

View attachment 3350038
I remember you getting that truck.
What were some of the issues that's making you back-peddle?
My Dad swears by his Ram. It's a dually diesel extra cab, I think he bought it some time in the early 20-teens. He added a chip, he says he can get low 20's mpg with it.
But like I've said before every manufacturer has at least a few strong runners that are produced during a production run.
Just that Toyota/Lexus has a LOT more per production runs! (and fewer duds)

Damn. What is wrong with it? On the Hemi too!

FYI - my FIL has a '99 Cummins that is 100% stock, unmolested, and still going strong (but probably has had a transmission or two). We're gonna out-grow our current camper at some point and want a bigger TV - leaving options of a Tundra, which might be over-matched for a 7K camper, or rolling the dice on a domestic truck.

*See below

I remember you getting that truck.
What were some of the issues that's making you back-peddle?
My Dad swears by his Ram. It's a dually diesel extra cab, I think he bought it some time in the early 20-teens. He added a chip, he says he can get low 20's mpg with it.
But like I've said before every manufacturer has at least a few strong runners that are produced during a production run.
Just that Toyota/Lexus has a LOT more per production runs! (and fewer duds)

Two coolant hoses decided they were done living life and burst. Their in a position where the intake manifold has to come off. Common problem and one that is unpredictable and can happen with little miles between issues after repair. That's a ~$1,000 job each time.

The 3 rd brake light gasket is bad on these so water is leaking in to the cabin and soaking the headliner. Again common problem with at least a better solution. But the screws to mount it are on the front...where the plastic lens is... So overtighten even a little and CRACK. We have the cargo camera in ours so that's another ~$1,000.

I knew about this issue, but, the radio screens delaminate on all 2017+ FCA/Stellantis vehicles. It'll always happen so that's another $1.000+ for a rebuilt replacement or double for a new one that both WILL delaminate again.

The AC sometimes just doesn't cool when the temperature is set to higher than 68 degrees. Like hot air comes out "doesn't cool". Probably a blend door issue? No idea that cost but I'm sure it's a dash out job.

These things will be reoccurring issues since we would of kept this 10+ years. It's unfathomable to me that a heady duty truck from any of the domestic 3 automakers has issues like the leak and especially the coolant issue. These trucks aren't cheap but I feel like they build em cheap now. Ford and GM aren't any better. We love the interior, 17-speaker Harmon kardon radio, the comfort, how quiet it is and the capability. None of that matters if you've got so many things to deal with ticky tacking their way through such short mileage intervals.

We may end up buying an AWD Toyota or Lexus "winter beater" first instead of a truck. I can always get a cargo trailer to tow with the GX until we buy another truck to tow the future RV and pontoon boat.

Damn, that's terrible, and totally unaccceptable. I think you nixed any chance of us getting a Ram 2500 if we ever upgrade our camper, even a Cummins version (unless my FIL wants to part with his '99 at some point). Either we'll get a Chevy with a 6.0 gas or stick to a smaller camper and a Tundra.

Just FYI - the GX is really a great towing platform up to 4,000-5,000# or so. Do the trans upgrades, get a good WDH, and these things will really tow smaller trailers just fine. You can get enclosed cargo trailers for ~$4-5K, open ones for $2-3K. I have a 4x8x2 trailer and get by just fine without a truck.

Damn, that's terrible, and totally unaccceptable. I think you nixed any chance of us getting a Ram 2500 if we ever upgrade our camper, even a Cummins version (unless my FIL wants to part with his '99 at some point). Either we'll get a Chevy with a 6.0 gas or stick to a smaller camper and a Tundra.

Just FYI - the GX is really a great towing platform up to 4,000-5,000# or so. Do the trans upgrades, get a good WDH, and these things will really tow smaller trailers just fine. You can get enclosed cargo trailers for ~$4-5K, open ones for $2-3K. I have a 4x8x2 trailer and get by just fine without a truck.
Watch out with the GM or Ford. Read up, they have their issues too. Honestly if we had a Tundra already that'd be enough. My wife literally just said to buy another GX460. LOL

I was about to sign up for a Yotawerx tune but their liability waiver scared me off. They waive all liability if the tune causes issues, or if the tune goes wrong. Not happy with that. I understand if your valley plate leaks, or a seal goes bad, obviously that has nothing to do with the tune, but the liability waiver reads as if the second you are tuned and the tune malfunctions or causes issues, they aren't responsible.

I've had an ECU go bad after being tuned, due to static damage from the tuner. I had to sue them for damages, which I eventually won.

With all of that said, any issues with the tune, any hiccups? I noticed that you drove at elevation, how did it perform? Some tunes, infamously 5 Star Tuning for Ford, have garbage elevation adjustments.

Reactions: r2m
Watch out with the GM or Ford. Read up, they have their issues too. Honestly if we had a Tundra already that'd be enough. My wife literally just said to buy another GX460. LOL
My last service van I only drove for about 6 months and by the time the door card was falling off. Chevy Express 2500. Huge difference in build quality compared to early 00s. I way prefer the newer engines for power, but that was about it. Absolutely garbage in slippery conditions with the all seasons that come on them as well.

I was about to sign up for a Yotawerx tune but their liability waiver scared me off. They waive all liability if the tune causes issues, or if the tune goes wrong. Not happy with that. I understand if your valley plate leaks, or a seal goes bad, obviously that has nothing to do with the tune, but the liability waiver reads as if the second you are tuned and the tune malfunctions or causes issues, they aren't responsible.

I've had an ECU go bad after being tuned, due to static damage from the tuner. I had to sue them for damages, which I eventually won.

With all of that said, any issues with the tune, any hiccups? I noticed that you drove at elevation, how did it perform? Some tunes, infamously 5 Star Tuning for Ford, have garbage elevation adjustments.
Let me get back to you. My cell service is super poor at the new house.

I will say the high elevation performance is stellar.

Update on my codes, they've not come back. Looks like the loose intake hose clamp and bad MAP sensor were the culprits.

Ok so the only issue I've had is when traveling 55~65 the passing performance is blah because the transmission isn't dropping down two gears so I have to manually use sport mode. Everything else is fantastic. As mentioned the higher elevation and cruise control performance is stellar.

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to look into a YotaWerks Tune. Cruise control performance on my 460 is the WORST thing about the vehicle. Anyone In Western SD doing Tunes?
Ok so the iv my issue I've had is when traveling 55~65 the passing performance is blah because the transmission isn't dropping down two gears so I have to manually use sport mode. Everything else is fantastic. As mentioned the higher elevation and cruise control performance is stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom