Mr. Guderian (BJ73) heading to the paint shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lowenbrau

SILVER Star
Threads
Charla got this truck just after it arrived in Canada in the spring of '04 and it was completely rust free. The trouble was that it had an obscene amount of scratches and chips, many of which went right to the shiney bare metal. We knew that wasn't going to be a good situation in Canada so a respray has been in the plans for about a year now. I'm finally getting to it but was deturmined not to paint that welting between the upper and lower fenders and had heard horror storries about the amount of work it would take to seperate the fenders. I started after brunch this morning with a fully assembled rig and now, at suppertime its nearly all apart. It turns out to be no big deal to remove the bolts that join the upper and lower fenders once you pull the batteries and air cleaner. A floppy headed gearwrench is the ticket for that job. Its also a pleasure to be working with clean rust free fasteners and straight sheemetal. I wouldn't want to try this on my old BJ70.

You guys who have taken the glass out of the FRP top, have you got any hints? Are the frames just glued in? I'm stumped.

Project pics at http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=Guderian-BJ73

Today's Before and after...
Guderian 006sized.jpg
Guderian 083sized.jpg

Last edited:
lowenbrau said:
Charla got this truck just after it arrived in Canada in the spring of '04 and it was completely rust free. The trouble was that it had an obscene amount of scratches and chips, many of which went right to the shiney bare metal. We knew that wasn't going to be a good situation in Canada so a respray has been in the plans for about a year now. I'm finally getting to it but was deturmined not to paint that welting between the upper and lower fenders and had heard horror storries about the amount of work it would take to seperate the fenders. I started after brunch this morning with a fully assembled rig and now, at suppertime its nearly all apart. It turns out to be no big deal to remove the bolts that join the upper and lower fenders once you pull the batteries and air cleaner. A floppy headed gearwrench is the ticket for that job. Its also a pleasure to be working with clean rust free fasteners and straight sheemetal. I wouldn't want to try this on my old BJ70.

You guys who have taken the glass out of the FRP top, have you got any hints? Are the frames just glued in? I'm stumped.

Project pics at http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/guderian

Today's Before and after...
that passenger fender looks dented at the front or is that just the angle of the pic?
i am trying to remember taking the sliders out of the FRP i sent to Stoney and i am sure they just came out as usual...
what colour are you painting the rig?
cheers

Cool...what colour are you guys painting it, Bruce?

As far as the FRP windows, I've had to re and re one of mine due to a very considerate Surrey POS who decided to break it while I was at work. Luckily Wayne had a pair to sell me.

The windows are secured with that black sticky goop used for windshield mounting. There's also a plastic weather strip on the inside perimeter of the window that needs to first come off.

The best method would be to remove that plastic weatherstrip on the inside, then use a sharp blade to slice some of that black sticky goop to make separation easier. Then gently push the window out.

go get the old girl krowned after that, and you won't have to worry about rust for ever, well untill you scratch or dent it.

Nice rig man, also wondering what color?

Wayne:
I'm not sure of the dent you see. All the pics I posted are of the driver's side but maybe you saw a ding on the forum pictures. There are a few small ones I'll be working on tomorrow.

Stone:
Thanks, that's what I thought but wondered it there were some hidden fasteners.

Wayne, Stone and Eric:
Same color t-033 white but without the decal and with limo tint

Last edited:
passenger side right at the front signal but it is probably just an illusion...
white is nice, very nice...
cheers

crushers said:
passenger side right at the front signal but it is probably just an illusion...
white is nice, very nice...
cheers

Think it may just be in the reflection - http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Guderian-BJ73&id=Guderian_092

Navy blue was tempting but I figure staying with the original white will be better in the long run.

BTW, how do I luck out being miles away when there's a project that doesn't involve grinding and sanding bondo to be worked on?? Thanks again Bruce. I owe ya and you know I'd be there helping you out if I still lived in Calgary.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: (a 6pack to help you out).

Is that a webasto under the hood on the right side?

-kevin

she will look nice, I like the tint man, gotta go get mine all tinted up when I get the new sliding window in.

I like that stock graphics kit, although I have a pic of one I like even better, it isn't my truck and iff it someones on the fourm, nice truck, I love the decal. Just noticed it doesn't have a sliding rear window, and its an LJ. cool

cheers. So I take it you are doing all the body work yerself, I wanna see pictures!!!

Ratpuke said:
Thanks again Bruce. I owe ya and you know I'd be there helping you out if I still lived in Calgary.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: (a 6pack to help you out).

MMMM beer

Herb showed up a couple of hours ago and that six pack is gone. Thanks.

Cool.

Damn shops with a hoist!

:D

gb

lowenbrau

How long have you had the Webasto? We had one installed in our 01 Golf TDI and used it every day during the winter and then every spring I had to remove it and send it in to get fixed. The last time it was going to cost near $600 to fix. So, removed the Webasto and sold the Golf. I was told by the Webasto service people that I was using that the model I had was not designed for long periods of use, that is, only intermittent use? Hope you have better luck. I sure wish I had one in my 70, oh well.

curious, i am going to be installing one into that last 81 i sold, which model do you prefer?

coldtaco said:
How long have you had the Webasto?

I bought mine in 1999. Never had a problem. Charla's is pretty new.

The standard 12 volt unit is the TSL17. I'm not sure what you have. I'll bet they have a light duty version that they sell for cars.

Espar makes a good unit too and I have a Pro Heat as well that is more powerfull (heated an 8 man hot tub at Rubithon one year) but also much larger.

I've been recomending the Webastos for a long time now and so far nothing but good performance except your case.

Oh F%^k! Bruce, you better part that POS out!! ( :flipoff2: u Marc ;p ;) )

I bought the Webasto (24v) last winter and the only time I had problems with it was when it was -45C out. I was having battery problems and I think the Webasto wasn't working properly because the coolant started to freeze.

I priced the espar, so I wanna know how much is a Webasto going for? now I may be cheapish. but I had a quote of pretty much 2k. is that how much you guys spent on yours?

I am sure they are great an all, but thats a lot of coin. Definately for guys with 0 chance of a plug in.

let me know if you got a good contact for those babies.

lowenbrau

Good to hear you have better luck with your Webasto than we did. I wonder if some of my problems where a byproduct of the Golf's problems. It sure was nice to have and use, especially going out to eat, or going to a movie, have the windows clean and car ready to start :) Maybe didn't have enough battery power for extended periods of use? I also used a small battery trickle charger that was pemanently hooked to the car battery and was on whenever the car was plugged in. I don't know. Looked into a 24V Webasto, but they cost even more and got to order one from Germany. I think the model we had in the Golf was the TSL17. Oh yeah, one thing the tech said was that the Webasto's where suppose to run with a big coolent capacity, more than what the Golf had, which doesn't make any sense since they sell these in Germany on all sort of small cars and bigger ones. Oh Well. Have heard of Proheat, but alot more expensive and alot bigger :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom