MPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
guys and gals, just wondering what my fellow cruisers are getting on average for fuel economy? since gas in oregon is almost 4$ a gallon for regular I was planning on keeping track on my next fill up, since its getting close to a 100bucks a fill....:crybaby:

somewhere around 13 mpg on the hiway...10 mpg in town.. approx back when I had stock engine.

Same here 10-11 in town 12-14 on the hwy.

Mark

If you stay on the road mostly, you can do these things to increase fuel economy. change tires to skinny tires that get great fuel economy. Put a belly pan on. Half your highway sipping miles are from the turbulance underneath the truck. If you are like me, like to fabricate metal, build a system of panels that use flush bolts to bolt on a metal frame work. you might be surprised just how much fuel economy would improve at highway speeds.

also learn how to do hypermiling. Take all unnecessary weight out of the truck for better in city stop and go traffic commuting. It takes energy to start a truck. The less it weighs "mass in physics" the less fuel "energy" it takes to accelerate at the same rate of acceleration.

Plan your trips. don't make three separate trips for errands if they can wait a day or two to do in one trip.

Use this as a guide to aerodynamics

http://www.recumbents.com/car_aerodynamics/

http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=870

http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/main2.htm

Best of luck

Last edited:
Drop in a 3B... 22mpg highway and about 19 the rest of the time. About four times the mileage in low range compared to a gas rig...

Tony

FYI... I would not spend much $$ on trying ti improve MPG on a FJ60, other than doing a tune-up and gettintgthe carb rebuilt if it has never been done. Other than that if it runs good leave it alone. I would look to another verhicle if you want to make some real mpg improvement.

FYI... I would not spend much $$ on trying ti improve MPG on a FJ60, other than doing a tune-up and gettintgthe carb rebuilt if it has never been done. Other than that if it runs good leave it alone. I would look to another verhicle if you want to make some real mpg improvement.

x2 If you worry about MPG you probably can't afford it. And thats why I have a 01 TDI Jetta and my built 60 sits so lonely in the garage...

I found an old Datsun B-210 that runs for 100 bucks... Ya it is ugly and not very stylish... but it gets 27 mpg . and it rallys good on the s***ty dirt roads we have around here . My 60 gets 11-14 mpg average and on the highway with a slight tailwind I get 17 mpg.

If he can afford a second car and two insured cars, go for the much smaller more fuel efficient vehicle for daily rides. Any truck is a parachute or a brick. Drag known as Cd is the determining factor for highway millage. The lower the better. For city driving, Weight of the vehicle is what brings down the fuel economy. If you improve both of those dramatically, you can actually put in a much smaller engine and still have the same haul weight or acceleration.

HE can do things like put on moon disk on the wheels, rear wheel fairing, remove the mirrors or put in retracable mirrors "if thay exist" and put in cameras, put on a belly pan. It is just how far he wants to go.

Read this.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5784131_increase-aerodynamics-suv.html

10mpg and i would drive it even if it got 5mpg i love my 60 (my 6.2l diesel chevy one ton 4x4 gets 18mpg)

same as Mark above 12-14 on hwy. i drive 700 miles a week commuting to work, so i have a 99 honda civic i can rack up the miles on while it gets 37-39 mpg....:D fuel here is 3.65 now and that would kill me in the cruiser.

same as Mark above 12-14 on hwy. i drive 700 miles a week commuting to work, so i have a 99 honda civic i can rack up the miles on while it gets 37-39 mpg....:D fuel here is 3.65 now and that would kill me in the cruiser.

Same here.
I put on a LOT of miles per day. An average of 150-200/day is an easy day.
I used to use the FJ62 as a DD...until fuel hit almost $4.00/gal here in Fl. (several years ago).

I bought an 08 Scion Xd (think Matrix).
It's UGLY as a bull dog, roomy, relatively comfortable, well built (Toyota product), and I got it out the door, right off the transport, still wrapped in it's "travel condom" for $18k and change:bounce2:

If I drive like a bat outta hell, I get mid to high 20's.
When driving like a human, and on the interstate at about 78mph, I'm hitting low to mid 30's.:D

I'm rebuiling my cruiser now, Will use it for weekend travel and explorations with the granddaughter (as long as she's here), and foul weather days.

When I was stock with 31s, I got 15 - 17. After I lifted and 35s, I got 13 - 15. With the 12H-T now, I get 20. But what is really nice about the 12H-T is the +10mpg I get off-road when the gassers are getting 3mpg. Range is really nice for off-road expeditions. But diesel is 30-40 cents more expensive than regular unleaded gas. That hurts. Once I get my Toybox, I'm going to switch my diffs from 4.11 back to 3.7 for better highway RPMs.

:beer: Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom