MPG/Speed on 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting a flat 10 mpg, even with highway driving (though some of that has been at a steep grade). I have large wheels, a lift, roof rack with spare, and an ARB front bumper so there's a bunch of added weight. Should I be getting more or is this par for the course? This is my first cruiser.

Re speed, I can get going well on flat ground, but any sort of incline is a non starter on the highway. I was headed up a highway with a pretty steep grade and had the accelerator to the floor and was only going 55/60. This was a pretty healthy grade (headed up into mountains) but since this is my first cruiser I want to make sure nothing is off.

Any thoughts?

I'd say that's about average considering all the added weight you have. I drive a 60 with stock suspension and tires and only get 14 mpg on average.

Considering the 62 is already heavier than the 60 then adding extra weight I'd assume that's about right.

A decent tune up may help, as well as ensuring your tires are properly inflated all the way around. Anything to help your cruiser get down the road with less trouble will help your MPGs. Either way, these aren't ever good on gas mileage, that's not what they were made for.

Sounds about right to me.

MPG/Speed & 62 = oxymoron in my experiences

With bigger tires you might find a re-gear will help alot on hills. But it won't make a difference in terms of fuel mileage.

I get 14 on my 60, which hasa lift, big tires and lots of s*** added, so I think you can do better. The spare on the roof is certainly a drag. Can you put it in the rear, or underneath?

Par for the course. Hills/Mts are slower than a VW hippie bus in my 60.

Getting 14mpg in a 60 Series is a feat. It was only rated for 12mpg. Keep that in mind!

I agree with the above posts. 10mpg seems about right. Especially driving up hills. I've ridden in a 62 that had 33's with stock gears. It was a brick. Not to mention it was also red. Just a coincidence. This was out in Terlingua on some long hills. Definitely would have done better with smaller tires or a re-gear. Looks are more important than MPG right? :hillbilly:

Hard to compare a 60 with manual transmission to the power robbing A440F automatic transmission in the 62. 3FE with a H55F would probably do better then either a stock 60 or 62.

are you factoring in your oversized tires in your distance? you're odometer is reading less than your traveling. that may boost your mileage numbers. that being said my 62 before engine swap was about 12-14mpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom