MPG increase with 285s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting guys running 38's with a roof rack are getting the same mpg i am basically stock.

I'll do you one better: my spare is on the roof :D

My latest mpg came out to be 14.26 MPG corrected for 285 Cooper discovery's. It looks like the new O2 sensors are working well. I just pumped my tires up to 40psi from 35 psi so that should help also.

I might add that I am using that crap inefficient midwest ethanol midgrade blend of gas. I think I am going to start using the more expensive non-ethanol gasoline to see if that will make a difference.

Here are a few calculations I did to convince myself to quit using crappy Ethanol blend gas.

Regular gas is about 20cents more per gallon but it is a lower octane than the midgrade blend. Lets say I use the premium non ethanol gas from costco which is 30 cents more than the ethanol blend.

30 cents X20 gallons=$6 extra per tank

285miles on a 20 gal tank=14.25 MPG

Lets say I am able to get 2mpg more by using the non ethanol blend.

16.25mpgX20 gal=325 miles

Thats 40 miles more per tank or about 2.5 gallons. At $4 a gallon that would save me a total of $4. Not a lot, but at least I'm not running that ethanol carp through the engine.

If I'm able to get 3mpg more using non-ethanol gas lets say
17mpg.

17mpgX20 gal=340 miles per tank or 55 miles per tank extra or 3.24 gallonsX$4=$12.94-$6 additional for non ethanol gas =almost 7$ savings at the pump.

I doubt I'll actually be able to get 17 MPG but well see how high I can get. The problem is that I have a whole tank of the dirt ethanol crap in my tank, so it will be a while before I am able to fill it up with the good stuff. :doh:

just rub it in- meanwhile my truck gets worse gas mileage than my friends Hummer 2...

How hard are you in the skinny pedal and how fast do you drive? I drive like a senior citizen and I rarely go above 55 or 60 MPH. I also try to time red lights as much as possible so I don't have to start from a dead stop as often. The :princess: hates my slow driving and it has caused its fair share of disagreements between us.

here's another granny driver; out here in the southern half of western OR it's pretty easy to drive your own race, er, pace than most anywhere else tho....preliminary numbers are closer to 15 than 17, but better than 11:D

still working on the mileage calcs, 305/70/16's, stock otherwise, no rack, ditching the furiously fast spoiler 'cause I'll just tear it off on a low branch otherwise, if anybody wants it shoot a PM, yours for shipping.

here's another granny driver; out here in the southern half of western OR it's pretty easy to drive your own race, er, pace than most anywhere else tho....preliminary numbers are closer to 15 than 17, but better than 11:D

still working on the mileage calcs, 305/70/16's, stock otherwise, no rack, ditching the furiously fast spoiler 'cause I'll just tear it off on a low branch otherwise, if anybody wants it shoot a PM, yours for shipping.

Does that spoiler really increase gas mileage or is it mainly to keep dust off the rear hatch? If it increases mileage I might be interested in paying for the shipping.

HIJACK!!!

No idea of what it will do to MPG, I assume nothing as the truck is still pretty un-aero. I think it's a nod to keeping the dust and road spray off the back glass, but I have the wiper for that, eh?

maybe if I lowered it, had a huge air dam up front and side skirts, huge diffuser at the back and some wings and ducts for better lift at speed and good laminar flow I might crack 20? :rolleyes:

'course, try wheeling in a prius or some other super slippery fish car; not made for it bruddah.

I lose parts that stick out, lost passenger front mudflap/fender flare cap on day 4 of ownership, had the good sense to lower the radio antenna or that would have fallen off too.:meh:
that's also why the yak rack, sunroof fairing thingy and the hitch were off as soon as I got the keys.

HIJACK OFF!!

i also get about 275 miles to the tank. my cruiser is a 93 with 310k miles (motor completely rebuilt 30k miles ago) and everything else is factory

a bit off topic, but does anyone know if the landcruisers run rich in factory tune? such as, does toyota make the landcruisers run extra rich on purpose for a certain effect (longevity of the motor, etc)?

has anyone ever put a wideband A/F meter to see what it reads at idle and at cruise ?

meanwhile........

meanwhile down my way im running a hdj81 1hdft on BFG 285/75/16`s ,stock gearing,auto,doing 45k round trip a day to work and back(mostly 100km/h,63mph stuff)using 40 litres of diesel a week! ,sounds sweet ay!! diesel is currently $1.85 a litre down here,and petrol is 2.20 a litre!! ,can someone do me the math and tell me what s cheaper to run taking into account that i have to service my diesel every 5k (9.5litres of oil!) and a petrol every 10k?,how much is fuel in the old USA at the mo?

i also get about 275 miles to the tank. my cruiser is a 93 with 310k miles (motor completely rebuilt 30k miles ago) and everything else is factory

a bit off topic, but does anyone know if the landcruisers run rich in factory tune? such as, does toyota make the landcruisers run extra rich on purpose for a certain effect (longevity of the motor, etc)?

has anyone ever put a wideband A/F meter to see what it reads at idle and at cruise ?

yep they run rich,how else do you explain the longlife?someone needs to hack/learn the secret to toyota ecu`s and retune like they do on flashable ford/chevs:idea:

No idea of what it will do to MPG, I assume nothing as the truck is still pretty un-aero. I think it's a nod to keeping the dust and road spray off the back glass, but I have the wiper for that, eh?

In theory it knocks some air down into the massive vacuum the truck is making, thereby reducing the vacuum and the drag that goes with it. In practice . . . I dunno, I don't feel like taking mine off and doing before/after numbers. I don't have enough time for :wrench: and :beer: as it is. :D

My latest mpg came out to be 14.26 MPG corrected for 285 Cooper discovery's. It looks like the new O2 sensors are working well. I just pumped my tires up to 40psi from 35 psi so that should help also.

I might add that I am using that crap inefficient midwest ethanol midgrade blend of gas. I think I am going to start using the more expensive non-ethanol gasoline to see if that will make a difference.

Here are a few calculations I did to convince myself to quit using crappy Ethanol blend gas.

Regular gas is about 20cents more per gallon but it is a lower octane than the midgrade blend. Lets say I use the premium non ethanol gas from costco which is 30 cents more than the ethanol blend.

30 cents X20 gallons=$6 extra per tank

285miles on a 20 gal tank=14.25 MPG

Lets say I am able to get 2mpg more by using the non ethanol blend.

16.25mpgX20 gal=325 miles

Thats 40 miles more per tank or about 2.5 gallons. At $4 a gallon that would save me a total of $4. Not a lot, but at least I'm not running that ethanol carp through the engine.

If I'm able to get 3mpg more using non-ethanol gas lets say
17mpg.

17mpgX20 gal=340 miles per tank or 55 miles per tank extra or 3.24 gallonsX$4=$12.94-$6 additional for non ethanol gas =almost 7$ savings at the pump.

I doubt I'll actually be able to get 17 MPG but well see how high I can get. The problem is that I have a whole tank of the dirt ethanol crap in my tank, so it will be a while before I am able to fill it up with the good stuff. :doh:
Old thread, I know, but i was looking to see if 285s would fit stock when I came across this.

Im glad to see somebody looking at this the right way.

All these mileage calculations are moot and meaningless unless we are using the same fuel everytime. i.e. ethanol-free vs. gas with ethanol The two cant be compared when talking fuel mileage.

Another thing to note, ethanol raises the octane rating. Thats why the pumps say "Fuel may contain UP TO 10% ethanol." The premium fuel that they are selling has MORE ethanol in it than the regular.

If you're having a hard time finding ethanol-free gas, go to Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
I have no affiliation with that site, but I use it.

If the moderator would NOT DELETE MY POST THIS TIME, THIS INFO MIGHT HELP SOME PEOPLE OUT.

All these are moot

Everyone is selling themselves short. They are doing calculations as if they used all 20 gallons. The best field method I know of is to top the tank off all the way to edge of the filler neck. So it is visible. This is your reference point. Zero your trip meter. Drive it for a few days. Top it off to the same visual reference point. Divide the gallons you just put in by the the mileage. I bet most of you are getting 2 or 3 more mpgs than you think.:grinpimp:

Everyone is selling themselves short. They are doing calculations as if they used all 20 gallons. The best field method I know of is to top the tank off all the way to edge of the filler neck. So it is visible. This is your reference point. Zero your trip meter. Drive it for a few days. Top it off to the same visual reference point. Divide the gallons you just put in by the the mileage. I bet most of you are getting 2 or 3 more mpgs than you think.:grinpimp:

Well yeah that is the way everyone hand calculates mileage. But, say you and I both do that, the only way it can be compared is if we got our gas from the same pump. The very first thing required to compare mileage is to compare the actual fuel you are burning. The wide variations in the amount of ethanol in gasoline makes that difficult.

As long as this thread is back up and going I'll throw in my .02.

I don't think that 285's are gonna increase mileage, especially the ones on the heavy end of the spectrum. I know from experience that mileage goes down the heavier and larger the tire. Not much way around it.

It can depend on gearing, but with stock 80 gearing I believe mileage will decrease with any added weight or drag.

As for 17 MPG. I don't see how it is possible. The trucks came from the factory with a window sticker stating 12/14 for gas mileage.

I did notice that fuel mileage seemed to suffer when I leveled the vehicle with 30MM front spacers. Got rid of the nose down, but decreased what little aero' I had.

MPG on this truck stinks, but it is never on the freeway to speak of, spends a lot of time at idle and short trips. New wires, rotor, plugs, egr disabled, etc and it's pretty much a 10-11 MPG constant with the 1.06
" MULTIPLIED " correction.

Have thought about changing O2 sensors which are old, but several RKI's here on the board advised that it might be a waste of money, time and effort for little or no MPG increase.

You might get an increase in mileage with 255 / 85 tires, but not 285 /75 IMHO.

These things are just gas pigs. Just like my Ford V10. But you can buy a lot of gas when there's no monthly payment.

spartan said:
As long as this thread is back up and going I'll throw in my .02.

I don't think that 285's are gonna increase mileage, especially the ones on the heavy end of the spectrum. I know from experience that mileage goes down the heavier and larger the tire. Not much way around it.

It can depend on gearing, but with stock 80 gearing I believe mileage will decrease with any added weight or drag.

As for 17 MPG. I don't see how it is possible. The trucks came from the factory with a window sticker stating 12/14 for gas mileage.

I did notice that fuel mileage seemed to suffer when I leveled the vehicle with 30MM front spacers. Got rid of the nose down, but decreased what little aero' I had.

MPG on this truck stinks, but it is never on the freeway to speak of, spends a lot of time at idle and short trips. New wires, rotor, plugs, egr disabled, etc and it's pretty much a 10-11 MPG constant with the 1.06
" MULTIPLIED " correction.

Have thought about changing O2 sensors which are old, but several RKI's here on the board advised that it might be a waste of money, time and effort for little or no MPG increase.

You might get an increase in mileage with 255 / 85 tires, but not 285 /75 IMHO.

These things are just gas pigs. Just like my Ford V10. But you can buy a lot of gas when there's no monthly payment.

In town mpg is horrible, anything with stop and go will kill your mpg even single digits is not uncommon.

17 mpg is possible on the frwy if you travel between 55-65 in my experience, but realistically 14-15 is more the norm in my experience.

I wonder

what if you put the lightest tire/rim combo. Added a transfer case that disconnects the front drive. And adjusted the gearing for the tire size. I bet you could pick up 3-4mpg. There are huge differences in tire/rim combos-pounds per wheel.:popcorn:

It is possible to get 17 or even higher. I've had my 97 80 for over a month now and have put 2500 miles on it, putting it right around 216k miles total. I've been making trips up and over Colorado passes the whole time going from the western slope to the front range using the cheapest 85 octane I can find. I have averaged between 16.8 and 17.8 since I purchased it. Running 255/85's and stock gearing and using a factor of 1.071 for my corrections. (based on a 300 mile trip comparing the odometer reading with 2 gps unit readings)

I wonder if using the higher 87 octane that the lower elevation states supply are causing some of the poorer mpg claims

high mileage gas mileage

my hundy has 235xxx miles and i get 14.5 to 14.7 mpg on every tank i have ever checked...dozens and dozens of times....However i am due for new tires and i will be going with 285 75 16...i will report back on the mileage change...my rig is pure stock with the jump seats removed...i even still have the running boards on it:p:p:p:p

Love these gas mileage threads.:rolleyes:
As long as this old chestnut has been revived, here's my 2 cents.
This is my original sticker...and this is the most optimistic, scientifically calculated estimate of the 1995 80 series gas mileage...when it was BRAND NEW.:crybaby:
Call me a dream crusher.:p
These vehicles were designed as a "special application vehicle" so they climb telephone poles well, but were never meant to compete with a Tercel or Yaris.:bang:
YMMV...literally.:lol:
original window sticker.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom