1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpg after lift and new tires

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by photogod, Jul 3, 2005.

1. photogod

photogod

Lots of questions on lifts, regearing, tires and MPG on mud lately so I thought I would throw my .02 into the ring for those contemplating doing what I have done. Just finished an OME J lift on a 91 and come to find out that with the 91/92 years you get an added 20mm of lift vs the 3" on the post 92 models so the ole gal sits high. We went on a road trip to the cabin in Northern MN and I thought I would see what the mileage would be. I have not added a spedo correction gear so I used my GPS to track speed and distance. Running the J lift and 33x10.5 BFG AT KO's with 40lbs of pressure gave a perfect footprint to the outside of the tread. I have not regeared but I deffinately will be going to a 4.56 in the near future. I have an ARB and a warn 9000 on the front. There was limited weight in the rear, 85lbs of dog and goods for the weekend. Nothing near what we will be loading in for our tour of the Western states in Sept after all the kids are gone. I will be the first to admit that the 3FE is really a dog for power and I spent a lot of time in third gear going up hill. We had the windows down for a good portion of the trip and windows up with the AC on for a good portion as well. I found myself turning off the air when going up hill so I could maintain a better speed. With the air on I couldn't maintain even 55 mph. wen I got to 2200 to 2500 rpm it was no problem staying at 70 to 80. On the way there driving conditions were clear and calm. On the way back there was a 10 to 15 mph side and head wind. Same road 75F to 80F temp range. I had done a tune up a few months ago so I didn't worry about that. I did clean the air filter and housing as It was caked with greasy dirt. Both fill ups gave the same MPG at 13.36 As far as speed goes, on the flat the oem gearing is fine but as soon as a grade is introduced it becomes painfully obvious that new gears should be part of the lift and larger tire combo. Might as well add the Aussie while we're at it :cheers: