Moving.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DanS HJ-45

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, as a lifelong New Mexican it ALMOST hurts to do it. But, with my job, Kate's job, and global warming taking all of the snow away from New Mexico we're moving....

To Idaho Springs, Colorado.

Of course, some of you know the pace I tend to work, so this move will, I predict take about 5 years, give or take. Not only do I have to finish Dad's 40 (which is roughly six months behind schedule), but I need to get my 45 running after that. So really, I'll be back in NM about the same amount as my commuting schedule allows me now--about a week a month. On top of that, it will be a long, long time before I will have a shop comparable to ours in NM, so all of the important stuff is staying down here (I don't even want to think about how much work it'll be to move parts, tools and machines :grinpimp:), and obviously I've got the folks and a lot of friends still in New Mexico--so it's a safe bet that I'll be around about the same as I am now.

The biggest difference most of you might notice is that I have a new phone number. (970)281-2445.

But now, the real reason we're moving: we found property that we are pretty sure we'll end up owning by the end of the year. It's OUT THERE. Seriously. 9,000+ feet. Absolutely no public utilities. It's a patented mining claim (that was never actively mined). First and last sun--year round. It's far enough out there that financing is basically not an option. And of course the price is right: cheap. By the end of the year Kate and I should be able to pay cash for it outright--if not sooner (fingers crossed...).

Without further ado: just to prove I'm not TOO crazy...
The meadow (yes, those are aspens, and yes there is a stream at the bottom of the meadow. miners candle 1.jpg

The view to the west. That is the Continental Divide.
miners candle 2.jpg

The faux lux with what would end up as the driveway.
miners candle 3.jpg

It's really a little gem. The road to get up there looks scary (so no developer would ever be dumb enough to try and subdivide it), but it's in a little banana bowl that gets amazing sun (these pictures are from the first week of April, at about 6PM), and keeps the steep part of the road dry. I've actually driven up there during, and after big snow storms just to make sure it's not going to be a problem (there are maybe three other year round residences up there--but none within earshot).

So, after we buy the land (it has been on the market for a while, and the current owners refuse to do anything but simple cash--and they haven't had ANY other interest--so we're 99% sure we'll win this one), we'll basically save out money for another year, to put in an electric system and septic, and the year after that we'll be pretty close to building a house. I'll build it, and it'll be tiny (like 600 square feet). So, if all goes according to plan, in just under four years we'll own a good chunk of land (mining claims are roughly 5 acres, depending on how senior the claim is--and this one is the senior claim in the area) without ever paying a mortgage. That's assuming that our pay stays the same (which is HIGHLY unlikely--the only way to be paid less than I am on the equipment I fly is to be junior to me at our company, and our pay is roughly 40% of the next compensation package on earth for this equipment--thanks RLA!), and a hefty raise (or back pay, for those of us who have been working under an amenable CBA for 3+ years) will accelerate this schedule a bit.

In the meantime, we're renting a little place (on 19 acres, I might add) in Idaho Springs so that I can do more productive trips (if I'm not forced to commute to each and every trip), and never have to pay for a hotel just to get to and from work, plus it's about 20 minutes to drive up to the land we're trying to buy so that when the time comes to do work, we're close enough that we can still sleep in a bed at the end of the day.

(more...)
miners candle 1.jpg
miners candle 2.jpg
miners candle 3.jpg

On the cruiser front, this means that I'm just going to do what I need to to make my 45 run (with the 1HZ, turbo and H55f). I'll deal with the body sometime in the distant future I guess. So as soon as Dad's 40 is done, I'll be tearing into my 45 to get it safely driving (which is still a lot of work, from fixing the Honduran fixes on the frame, to the steering and brakes), instead of getting started on the bodywork anytime soon. We're limiting the monthly budget considerably for that (luckily I already own almost all of the things I need--I just have to rebuild them or assemble them) I kind of need the 45 to be running for a few reasons:
  • It's worth a LOT more if it's running, so just in case I have to sell it to raise cash quickly... (hope not)
  • It's a lot heavier duty truck than the faux lux, and I fear that carrying that much stuff with the faux lux will just put too much wear and tear on it's little IFS suspension and 2LT-E (which runs hot as it is)
  • I'll probably need to add a snowplow to the 45. I hate the idea of snowplows on IFS vehicles, plus the faux lux just might not be heavy enough to push snow down the road
  • I just want to drive it. I kind of like the blue bondo mutlicolor look for now. ')

Also, this means that I need to save my pennies like crazy. So anyone else who needs help with their projects--like always I'll lend a hand if I'm in town. Keeping me out of trouble is a really, really good thing.

Also, anyone passing through Idaho Springs (it's about an hour west of Denver on I-70 for those of you not familiar) is more than welcome to visit (if I'm in town there). There's Beaujeau's pizza and the Tommyknocker Brewery in town (those were HUGE selling points for Kate and I :hillbilly:).

Dan

I hate you.

- Seriously, I'm insanely jealous. I need to figure out how to make a living without being tied to a big city and a big company. I picked the wrong career.

Yer nuts. 9000 ft? Year round?

I think you're going to have to buy a snow cat to get you down to the parking lot you keep your truck at a couple thousand feet lower.

I think I have Jill convinced to get something similar for PART-TIME summer living in retirement.
congrats! sounds cold in the winter though.

I knew, you some how, liked Montreal weather. Congrats!

I hate you.

- Seriously, I'm insanely jealous. I need to figure out how to make a living without being tied to a big city and a big company. I picked the wrong career.

You and me both....

pappy said:
Yer nuts. 9000 ft? Year round?

Heck yeah. When I was little it used to snow like that in the East Mountains. And with that much sun, it's HOT inside in the winter, but in the summer I shouldn't ever have to worry about it getting above 85 degrees....

marcfj60 said:
think you're going to have to buy a snow cat to get you down to the parking lot you keep your truck at a couple thousand feet lower.

Funny, I've actually considered that. That's kind of why we're hustling to buy this property specifically. The road is actually pretty accessible, and the few other year round residents should help keep it open without much problem. I didn't have a problem getting there and back all winter this year--at least not yet. ;)

beno said:
Congrats Dan. This is a very good move for you and Kate

Yeah. We're pretty excited in general about it. It's as good a place to commute from as any, and the possibility of owning a place outright within 4-5 years without any mortgage (or electric bill) is just too good to pass up. It's also not far from my Grandmother (who lives similarly far out), or my sister, so it's got that going for it. And being only 8 hours from Albuquerque is nice too. A Silbaugh drives that so often it hurts as it is... ;)

BionicCruiser said:
I think I have Jill convinced to get something similar for PART-TIME summer living in retirement.
congrats! sounds cold in the winter though.

I LOVE the cold. Kate not so much. That's why this spot is such a winner. Plenty of sun, protected from wind--so a little house should heat up nicely. My Grandmother lives similarly, as do my Aunt and Uncle, so it's something I'm prepared for. Pretty sure Kate is too. She's not exactly a wimp, and a nice fire should keep her more than toasty.

eleblanc said:
I knew, you some how, liked Montreal weather. Congrats!

That's right! There's no race track here though. If/when we buy this claim, you'll have to camp on it if you ever make it this way.

And just to make sure we're not putting all of our eggs in this basket, an adjacent claim is also for sale (for less money even). But we're pretty confident that this will be ours soon enough... And, Lord willing we'll figure out how to buy that parcel too (I'll put off building a shop to buy that).

Dan

Congratulations! Sounds pretty cool. I like the planning of no mortgage. Sounds great - best of luck to both of you!

Idaho Springs is a nice place, there is some good trails up around there. Plus the Buff Restaurant is always good place to eat.

I didn't have a problem getting there and back all winter this year--at least not yet. ;)

I LOVE the cold. Kate not so much. That's why this spot is such a winner. Plenty of sun, protected from wind--so a little house should heat up nicely. My Grandmother lives similarly, as do my Aunt and Uncle, so it's something I'm prepared for. Pretty sure Kate is too. She's not exactly a wimp, and a nice fire should keep her more than toasty.

Dan

Careful...I work with guys who are living the same "dream" you are, their wives were onboard in the begining. Now they are all given the "old tomato" and are moving in to town in Durango. I don't know you, but kids can put the kaibosh on this sorta thing quick. If no kids...and your wife is cool being locked in during snow storms up to a week at a time...go for it.

Driving may have been easy this year, but snow was super weak that far north this year. The four corners area had way more snow than Summit County this year. May be worthwhile to get the neighbors together for a community Unimog with plow.

G

Land Land Land

Congratulations on the proposed purchased. Lets chat tomorrow about that mining claim. We need to make triple sure no prospecting ever occurred. I currently have a client who did some prospecting back in the 1930's, well....it does not look good with the EPA knocking on the door. I want to make sure you are in the clear.

And your photos make me miss my Pagosa Springs, CO land. Darn you!!

Once again, excited for you. After our conversation during the Jemez run I had a feeling the time was near.

Congrats Dan. :clap: Wish I'd be able to have my place paid off before retirement, but since I found a bass-ackwards route to a public safety career, I'll be working overtime/ 2nd job every year, and not for toys. :whoops:

However, I do need work done, and will hit you via PM. Please give us an idea of the non-wrenching/piloting skills you are willing to get paid for.

5 acres is a bit small for the Mud camp I was wishing for you: perhaps when you buy adjacent and put up the Mud-hut, er shop. :p

Congrats - Don't dismiss the sno-cat yet though, our land in the Jemez is at 9,000 feet and we couldn't even get in there until this month. "Global Warming" is over, didn't you hear?

Idaho Springs is kind of a cosmic place though...

If you need something with a little more performance to get up I-70, we might be convinced to trade you our '99 4Runner for the faux-lux..

Very cool and it sounds very much like a place you would choose to live. Best of luck with the move.

you'll have to camp on it if you ever make it this way.

I will guarantee, just waiting on the kids to get old enough so i don't have to carry them every where i wanna go ;)

Something i learn about the cold, are that when it is hot, real hot, unless you are in a house or car with A/C, you have to suffer the heat. When you learn to deal with cold weather with proper cloth. There is nothing like being in the outdoor properly covered around a camp fire, then getting you a** cooked because it is 90deg F +. Trust me it is all about what you are wearing. There is nothing like being around a camp fire sitting in a chair over 2-3 feet of snow.!

Also, anyone passing through Idaho Springs (it's about an hour west of Denver on I-70 for those of you not familiar) is more than welcome to visit (if I'm in town there). There's Beaujeau's pizza and the Tommyknocker Brewery in town (those were HUGE selling points for Kate and I :hillbilly:).

Dan

See how you are Dan? Only a place to visit? You know even with a small house you could front a friend in need. I am acutually planning on getting stuck out there when you are there. JK, Congrats with the future plans, hope eveything works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom