Moving to Detroit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings!

My name is Casey and i’m relocating to Detroit in about 6 months. Thought I would reach out and get plugged in with the local LC club.

What does the off-road scene look like in Michigan? I’ve got a 97 LX450 on 37s and locked up. I’m thinking I may need to do some serious rust proofing before I get up there. Any tips on that front?

I’ll be at GSMTR with the AL Heart of the South Cruisers club so I may get to see some of you guys.

Welcome!

The most popular DIY seasonal rust control is Fluid Film, basically lanolin oil. There are others like it, I used Krown which doesn't smell as bad as FF. Coat *everything* underneath, wheel wells, door jambs etc. 3 cans was enough for my 60. That's a must-do if you plan to drive the truck over the winter.

Good luck with the move!

Welcome to Michigan. Wonderful state for an LC!

Holly-Oak ORV park is just a bit north of Detroit and new. I’ve not been there, but here’s the link to the facility.

Holly Oaks ORV Park | Holly Oaks ORV Park - https://www.oakgov.com/parks/parksandtrails/holly-oaks-orv-park/Pages/default.aspx

Silver Lake State Park ORV Area is in the dunes on Lake Michigan and super fun. I’ve been there with my LC and had a great time each time. Camping is available close by at the state park campground.

DNR - Silver Lake State Park ORV Area - https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79148_80314_80651---,00.html

These are public ORV areas that come to mind immediately. There are others, as well as a number of private ORV areas in the state.

Welcome to Michigan! It can be a great place but you have to do some looking for trail opportunities. If you go north a ways, like above US-10 the trails are endless. I would have given my condolences moving to Detroit just a few years ago but it is getting better way fast and is a good launching point to lots of fun. If you like bad baseball, football, and basketball, Detroit has you covered lol. Fishing, oddly enough is some of the best in the United States which most don't realize. I am on the West side so I don't really know that much about the East side but there are some great people all over the state. Jeeps rule here but the Cruiser still lives on!

Welcome! I second what Patrick/Dogfish says, but I live up here and am partial to everything north of 10. Check out Drummond Island, 7 Hour Plane Crash Trail up in Keweenaw, Bill Nicholls Trail up in Keweenaw, Fall in the Pigeon River State Forest to 4-wheel and see the Elk. There are miles and miles and miles of two tracks up here.

The only off-roading you'll do near Detroit is in a construction zone or in the Spring when the roads are potholed from frost heaves. But all is not lost, like the guys above said there are many miles of great two track if you head north. Get a copy of the Michigan county maps book and spend some time looking at all the two tracks within state and national forests.

Gents,

Great feedback, keep it coming!

Do you guys do regular club meetings? Or is it just for events?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom