moving to chicago (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings fellow cruiserheads. I'm relocating to Chicago in one week, leaving Boulder, CO. I've got an 81 fj40, SO, SR, 35" MTR's, lockrite lockers, and a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to bring my cruiser out to Chicago or if it's better kept in storage here for my occasional trips back. My truck is built and I don't think it's much of a city car, BUT, if someone were to chime in and tell me that there is good wheelin' not too far away, I might reconsider. Either way, it would be cool to meet up with the club and check out everybody's rigs and in general. I'm thinking I might buy a stocker fj40 for my Chicago vehicle. Looking forward to meeting some cruiser folks in the midwest.

-Justin

Hi Justin,
I don't know much about wheeling in the area so I can't help you there(my LX is pretty much stock). Illinois and the rest of the mid-west is mostly flat but there must be someplace the guys on this board go for fun. I just wanted to welcome you to the area. So where ya moving to? I'm in the south suburbs. Bob

Hello Justin,
Welcome to the Chicago Area! I say bring the FJ40! It seems they are pretty rare around here. However, when I drive mine around I get an occasional thumbs up and "nice cruiser" from the Jeep guys. (My 40 looks pretty good from 20 feet away). You might have a better chance of getting a nice stock FJ40 in CO than over here. Anyway, I am in the south suburbs as well and would like to meet up with everyone. -Ernest

Went to the Cliffs this weekend. I'd like to go again this month as the 55 was acting up and I need to sort it out before Toys for Tots in Attica. the Badlands OffRoad park is pretty nice place to wheel as well. A couple of other parks I haven't been to as well.

Welcome.

I gotta figure out my living situation, then figure out the truck later. Long story short, I took a job a week ago today, but the terms of the deal were that I had to start on the 14th. As a result I'm flying out and staying with a college friend until I get a place of my own. If I could live in the city and have a garage to keep my truck in, I'd bring it out without question. If the Cliffs are good maybe I'll buy a stocker that's a little more city worthy. My truck does not have a good turning radius!

Trying to get one more wheelin' trip in out here before I skate for the windy city. Did a run with my friends Ro and Bustanutley up north of Boulder on Saturday. Pics available if interested: www.boulderextreme.com/gallery

Looking forward to getting out there and getting settled in and meeting people.

-Justin

Welcome to Chicago, Justin. :)

Justin, what the f'in 'ell are you doing moving from Boulder to Chicago? I'd be willing to take a sizeable pay cut to move THERE. I'll lay anyone 10-to-1 odds that Justin will be back in CO within two years. :)

Please, please I beg you to NOT bring a pristine, unprotected '40 to Chicago and expose it to the rust-rape of the Midwest. If you're gonna bring anything older than 90's-era (and even latemodels are suspect), either don't drive it in the winter, have a frame-off rustproofing, or spend a day every spring cleaning and scrubbing every crevice like it was your hairy crack before a big date.

Oh, and once again welcome to Chicago: the city that brags that it's second.
Kenton

Thanks for the warm welcome. You may be right... I might be back in CO in two years, or possibly sooner (I own a home here as well). Just have to take this chance for professional reasons. The 40 I've got now is not, by any means to be considered pristine. In fact, I sustained some body damage just this past weekend, which revealed a little bit more bondo in the rockers! I certainly have some work to do on it. It also has diamond plate from the PO, and it really could probably use a new 3/4 tub if I wanted her to be really nice. But, she's for wheelin', so I'm not too concerned about it.

I found a bj40 that I really like, that's already imported, that I'm considering buying. It REALLY needs a new tub. That's a job I'd really like to tackle myself, but I'm not sure how long it would take or if I can find for a reasonable amount, a place to live that has a garage too.

So who works on cruisers in Chicago? I heard Gumby has a shop or something that's in the city. I'm interested in continuing to drive a cruiser, and of course having people around that know how to work on them for when stuff breaks that I can't or don't know how to fix! Overall I do pretty good when it comes to working on my truck.

Where are you looking to live in Chicago? I'm on the north side not too far from Wrigley field and the Kennedy expressway. I have a 3br. apartment for rent that'll be available in a few weeks. I can't give you a garage space, but I've got off-street parking available. $1000 / month plus free laundry.

Rob

Cool, it's all good. Can't help you with the 40 repair suggestions, but I'm a pair of hands to help. Hope to wheel with you sometime here in the Midwest... If you're up in the NW suburbs, drop me a line!
Kenton

jjhancock said:
Thanks for the warm welcome. You may be right... I might be back in CO in two years, or possibly sooner (I own a home here as well). Just have to take this chance for professional reasons. The 40 I've got now is not, by any means to be considered pristine. In fact, I sustained some body damage just this past weekend, which revealed a little bit more bondo in the rockers! I certainly have some work to do on it. It also has diamond plate from the PO, and it really could probably use a new 3/4 tub if I wanted her to be really nice. But, she's for wheelin', so I'm not too concerned about it.

I found a bj40 that I really like, that's already imported, that I'm considering buying. It REALLY needs a new tub. That's a job I'd really like to tackle myself, but I'm not sure how long it would take or if I can find for a reasonable amount, a place to live that has a garage too.

So who works on cruisers in Chicago? I heard Gumby has a shop or something that's in the city. I'm interested in continuing to drive a cruiser, and of course having people around that know how to work on them for when stuff breaks that I can't or don't know how to fix! Overall I do pretty good when it comes to working on my truck.

chitown40 said:
Where are you looking to live in Chicago? I'm on the north side not too far from Wrigley field and the Kennedy expressway. I have a 3br. apartment for rent that'll be available in a few weeks. I can't give you a garage space, but I've got off-street parking available. $1000 / month plus free laundry.

Rob

Wow! That's an awesome deal! You wouldn't happen to have a yellow 40, would you?

Yep, that's me. The 40 is also for sale if you know anyone interested. Not in a rush to sell, just looking to move on to another project down the road. I don't drive the 40 enough these days.

Well, I was going to hold off posting up since I don't really wan the hassle of an out of state sale + shipping, but I'll give you all the link to the craigslist ad and if anyone is interested I'd be happy to get together and go over the whole truck with anyone. I like to be 100% honest up front and not leave any surprises for a perspective buyer good or bad. Here's the link. I have a few photos I can email, but like I said I'd prefer to sell locally and go over the truck with a fine tooth comb with anyone interested so they can get a good feel for the truck first.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/car/107757396.html

Cruiser has the full hardtop, amby doors, and front doors on right now, not shown in the picture. No rust on the top, amby doors, or front doors. Tub is about 95% rust free. Frame is rust free with no probs. Call me or email me (info in the craigslist ad) with any questions or just PM me on the board.

Price is negotiable and will knock off some for a Mud member.

Rob

chitown40 said:
Yep, that's me. The 40 is also for sale if you know anyone interested. Not in a rush to sell, just looking to move on to another project down the road. I don't drive the 40 enough these days.

Small world...

I'll pass the word around about the 40 and the apartment.

dude, that's a sweet 40. I love mustard yeller... it just looks right. how's it drive in the wind?

Like a brick. :D Actually, and sadly, today was my last ride in it. I drove it out of the city up to the burbs where I traded it for a nice 1997 FZJ80 collector's edition. Drove great in the gusts today and actually kept the road real well. Miss the 40 a little already, but the 80 just rocks. When I need to go back to my roots, I'll pull the 60 out of the garage. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom