Moving the rear heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
My buddy removed his rear heater. This made it a lot easier to load gear and stuff.
I'd like to do the same but I don't want tolose the heater. So I'm kicking around ideas on where to re-locate it.

Anybody have any ideas?

Front dash or under the drivers seat..

HawkDriver said:
You could cut a hole in the floor and fab up a box to insulate and house it beneath the floor and have the vents coming up through the floor.

that's a wicked idea, you know anyone who's done it? any pics?

Mace: already have one under the dash.

I'd like to mount it under the floor, that was my first thought. I'll have to see how much room I have. The toy box moved things back a ways, and I have a Confer aux fuel tank. Wheel well is a maybe, I have 36" Super swampers.

What about a set of quick connect fittings and some kind of clamp to the roll cage? I could use bulkhead connectors mounted through the fender well and have hose to the heater.

metalonmetal said:
that's a wicked idea, you know anyone who's done it? any pics?

Nope haven't seen it done before.

I was thinking under driver seat too, but that's pretty close to the front one still. On the cage might be cool, definitely post pics of whatever you do. :D

burnttoastburgos said:
i relocated mine to the rear of the Tuffy console,bolted vertically. Just a thought
I don't have a tuffy, but I could make a bracket to fit there. I'm liking this idea simple is always better.

Why not just protect it? Bend up a steel overpass to bolt to the floor. Make it strong enough that nothing you toss on it will bend the protector down enough to damage the heater.
Hmm, sounds so good I might do it myself...paint to match, put a sticker on it.

honk said:
Why not just protect it? Bend up a steel overpass to bolt to the floor. Make it strong enough that nothing you toss on it will bend the protector down enough to damage the heater.
Hmm, sounds so good I might do it myself...paint to match, put a sticker on it.
I'm not worried about protecting it, I've been hauling everything from cinder blocks to sleeping bags back there for years and never hurt it. It just tends to get in the way when you want to stow a lot of gear.

just take it out thats the best way to protect it

PabloCruise said:
I've seen guys mount them under the driver's seat - keeps the driver comfy in the winter with the top off...
I suppose I could just run 50' of PEX tubing inside both seats and heat them. :D

If you a have 73 to 78 with the bucket seats you could use one out of a FJ62 the fits under the center console. You would have to modify your center console but at least it's a heater that's designed to be used this way, kind of like in the 81 and later 40s. I thought about doing one this way for a while now.

John

Living in the Past said:
If you a have 73 to 78 with the bucket seats you could use one out of a FJ62 the fits under the center console. You would have to modify your center console but at least it's a heater that's designed to be used this way, kind of like in the 81 and later 40s. I thought about doing one this way for a while now.

John
Sounds like something I should look into. For that matter I could probably just get a heater core for a small import and mount it in the middle with a 12V muffin fan.

The hoses to a FJ62 fan run up through the floor, but modifying the hoses to run under the floor shouldnt be too hard. If youre interested, I have a 62 rear heater that I may not need. Let me know.

Hodag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom