moving rear shock mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73lndcrsr

SILVER Star
Threads
I have searched and can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I want to move the rear axle back and was wondering what is done about the shock mounts. Does anyone have pictures of theirs? I am sure I can fab a mount for the rear of the cross member, but I would like to see what has been done.

Thanks.

Can't do pic but the shocks can be moved to the back side of the crossmember with some relatively easy fab work. I've done it by putting new holes slightly inboard of the originals and welding new bolts. I've also seen the lower mount moved to the front of the axle but it was on a centered rear diff. I don't know if that would work with offset diff.

I just took my pics of this off the web, but I did just like Hammerhead said. I just drilled a new hole through the crossmember slightly inboard of the original mounts and used a grade 8 bolt roughly the same size as the original shock mount (~9/16" x 4" I think) w/ 2 washers on either side of the shock eye and a nylock nut to keep it in place. I did not weld it though as I do not have a welder. So far it has worked great.
-Brian

I am now getting ready to do this, and I think I have a new mount option in mind. My question is;

If I mount the shock with a slight angle toward rear bumper, would it cause any difficulties? The offset from the bottom of the shock to the top would be about 1.5" to the rear of the truck.
Do you think I would get binding under full compression?

[quote author=73lndcrsr link=board=1;threadid=8826;start=msg90633#msg90633 date=1074130767]
If I mount the shock with a slight angle toward rear bumper, would it cause any difficulties? The offset from the bottom of the shock to the top would be about 1.5" to the rear of the truck.
Do you think I would get binding under full compression?

[/quote]

yes, it will bind. The shocks and their mounting locations on a FJ40 are "ideal" for not limiting travel due to bushing bind. Relocate to the backside of the crossmember mount and call it good.

I am moving the mount to the back. I am also trying to move it up some. I am still about 1.5" farther back on the top than the bottom. It seems that the shocks being on the back of the axle and a little further back on the top mount should not bind, but I am just not sure. I really don't want to do this twice.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom