Moving my LJ78 cross country (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I decided to take my LJ78 2LTE on a move from the midwest to California. I had some personal reasons for doing this and I never doubted this would be a challenge. So far it's been slow moving as expected. Since I don't have an intercooler, aftermarket temp gauges, or boost gauges, keeping cool is completely up to my right foot. I had the truck inspected before leaving (tires, alignment and wheel bearing torque) and I did an oil change with Mobil 10W-30. I've decided to take i80 and instead of taking the southern route through to New Mexico to avoid fighting head winds the entire time. I've also decided to break this trip into 4 parts at about 8 hours/day (Omaha, Northern CO, Salt Lake, Vegas) until I reach SoCal. I spoke with Metric Offroad of Grand Junction CO and was advised to take 287 back onto to i80 vs 25 because of the lower speed limit there. I can't recall the name of who I spoke to there but I wanted to give a shout out because they were super helpful. I will note that there is nothing more disappointing than looking at the arrival times on the GPS increase by hours, but the alternative to this was going through another midwest winter. I think the truck and I will be much happier on the west coast.

Right now I'm in CO and I noticed a muddy coolant reservoir so I'm going to take it over to one of few shops open here on Saturday. I'd appreciate all and any advice you might have for me. I'm new to this forum and the LJ and I know very little about this fragile engine.

Here are some pictures of my journey so far (and one of my first diesel bath)...

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

Screenshot 2019-10-12 at 8.57.44 AM.png

Also, just read "how hot is too hot" thread, does anyone recommend another brand of coolant aside from Evans?

People usually recommend the Toyota 'Red' coolant. Honestly I think any quality 'import' coolant will be fine; just get the mix right. There is a product called 'water wetter' that I used to add to my coolant when I ran regular coolant. I do highly recommend that stuff for water based coolants.

If you do nothing else, probably the most important item is making sure the fan clutch is good. Fan clutch issues have led to the demise of many a 2LTE. On cold start-up it should roar for a bit until the silicone oil is pumped into the internal reservoir. And like-wise, as the motor starts to heat up (maybe around 1/2 on the factory gauge), the fan should start roaring again. Try spinning the fan by hand in the morning too (before start-up). It should be hard to spin for part of the rotation, and then easy for part of the rotation. (because the silicone oil inside has settled to the bottom). Anyhow, if you don't hear the roaring, then it's not working right.

Reservoirs do get muddy over time; it's not necessarily a bad thing. Just means you're probably due for a coolant flush.

I'm using propylene glycol and ethanol glycol coolant mix and having a local shop (grease monkey) do the flush. No leaks found while on the coolant flush machine. Also, clutch fan is spinning while on.

Would you recommend adding the water wetter while im in the colder climate states or wait until i'm heading to vegas?

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1101.PNG

I ran water wetter all year long; there is no harm in it.

The fan will always spin; but it may not be moving much air. Try the test I mentioned above spinning it in the morning. Also listen for it 'roaring' on first startup.

totally agree, my fan kind of worked and thought thats how it should be, did the thicker CST oil install and I tell you what its so loud when it kicks in makes my rig gutless, so you will definitely know if its working or not, these fans move a heap of air, if you ever hear and old toyota 3l diesel van cruising around you can always hear the noisy fan in those, thats how mine is

Hey everyone,
First, I'd like to say thank you for all your assistance with my questions and concerns during my trek. I can't begin to tell you how much I truly appreciate it!

Here is a little Christmas Eve/end of year update. I made it to California middle of October and since then I have been daily driving my LJ. When I left IL my brake pads and rotors weren't in great shape (about 30% pad life on warped rotors) and I had no choice but to nurse them the whole 2000+ miles which was a humbling experience. Being out west I had much better luck with oem part sourcing like Cruiser Outfitters near SLC and Rocky Mountain Imports near Vancouver. A lot of research went into figuring out if the brake components transferred to any US Toyota models. I found that I could potentially use 80 series pads on the rears but the rotor fitment would be different because of the wheel size (not sure if anyone else seen or read about this). Rocky Mountain Imports had the parts in stock and were very helpful with confirming part #s. Dirty Parts 4x4 in Culver CIty did the work as well as a trans flush. Right now I lack a garage and have been relying on feedback from all of you for shop suggestions.

Issues with the LJ thus far...
1. Transfer case is still leaking and will need seals replaced but it's a slow leak for now.
2. Knuckle seals still need replacing and I'm hoping that the pivot balls haven't worn down their surface area too much.
3. Discovered a decent sized fuel leak most likely coming from the fuel injection pump and if that's the case I'm hoping it's just the o-rings.
4. OIl pressure gauge does not work but I'd like to purchase aftermarket gauges (oil, boost, temp)
5. I burned a big hole in my drivers seat and I'm so so sad about it.
6. My rear hub cap fell off. If anyone has a spare I could purchase that would be greatttttt :/
^ (I'd appreciate any thread shares regarding any of these issues or parts listings)

I understand there is a lot of negative feedback on the 2LTE and when I purchased the wagon a year ago I knew absolutely NOTHING about it. Because of this journey, I have learned a lot and I'm still learning more and more every day. Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton, CA has also been extremely helpful answering my questions and I hope to visit his shop in the near future. I also went to Sydney, NSW and was blown away by all the cool pre 80 series LC's out there! If anyone is in NSW, I plan on visiting again very soon. Also! I met a BJ78 owner AND another LJ78 @Waggoner5 at a recent cars and coffee! Really happy to have this community and I wish all of you a very Merry Xmas!

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_4456.jpg

Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 3.08.35 PM.png

IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

The problems on your list are common to both the light and heavy duty cruiser models. So don't beat yourself up about buying a light duty cruiser.

It's common for these rotary injection pumps to leak at this age (not just 2LTE, but all the diesel cruisers). Generally they need to be removed and re-sealed. A complete rebuild is not necessary, but it's still a big and expensive job. I've re-sealed a couple of these pumps now, and it is possible for a competent DIY mechanic.

Sounds like you're seeking advice from all the right people. Keep up the good work, and feel free to ask questions here. Most of the questions you could possible ask are ones already documented on here now. Many of us have been through the same things.

S.O.S.

I've ended up in Sydney. I'm on my own here and would appreciate anyone's assistance with...
- room for rent
- job in sales
- introduction to friendly people who love their old land cruiser

I'm fairly new to ih8mud and I want to say thank you to all the help and support so far.

S.O.S.

I've ended up in Sydney. I'm on my own here and would appreciate anyone's assistance with...
- room for rent
- job in sales
- introduction to friendly people who love their old land cruiser

I'm fairly new to ih8mud and I want to say thank you to all the help and support so far.

Which Sydney are you in? There's a few of those cities. Australia? USA? Canada?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom