Moving my 2F/H42 combo around (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
Over the weekend I need to pick up my spare 2F/H42 combo from the shop that has had it for a long time. I have no real idea how I am going to get it off my trailer and tuck in the spot I prepared for it in the garage. The shop is allowing me to borrow their engine hoist, however I have never used one before.....this should be fun.

How heavy is the engine/trans combo roughly? The engine is totally complete and ready to run with all accessories on it. I am thinking of going to HF and picking up some furniture Dollies to place the engine on once I lower it from the engine hoist, will that work? I need to tuck the engine in a space under my garage stairs, so a dolly would work best. How difficult is it to remove the transmission from the engine? How much weight would I save by removing the transmission?

Thank you,
Zack

IMG_1675.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG
It's a beast. Complete with everything will be about 950#. Maybe more. Use the 1 ton setting ATLEAST. The block is about 700# w/o transmission and case. Here's how I keep mine out of the way...

It's easy to unbolt the tranny+transfer off the engine. It's only a few bolts. Gotta keep it all level when pulling them apart (use headless bolts as dowels in the engine bolt holes to guide it) so as not to tweak the input shaft.

It's only the transmission, not the transfer case

Just leave it together. The transmission adds maybe 125 pounds.

It is a lot of weight for a movers dolly, but I've got a 2F sitting outside on a cheapo HF dolly and it's been fine. I'm going to dispose of it so I don't care if it falls and breaks the dolly.

I'm liking @LAMBCRUSHER 's custom dolly though.

Setting the engine on the oil pan will cause leaks. It breaks the spot welds which attach the small skid plate. The only way to fix the leaks is to replace the oil pan.

So, build up some way to support the engine at the mounts, the bell housing, or the transmission. Properly constructed wood will work as well as steel. I've used a wood, cinder block combination but it wasn't mobile.

yep, and it is longer than a long H42/h55. the mounting points are the same for the engine/ it just sets the motor mounts onto the 2x2 with the studs deposited into the tube to keep it on its pedistal. when I use this for an HXX trans, I'll burn in a crossmember to support the trans mount. With a couple more gussets, I out to be able to test fire an engine on it...Best part is there is this stuff outside my garage on the ground that's super hard and flat; I can roll this thing where ever I need to with a beer in one hand. I think They call in con creet? Ahhh, the opiate of the city...no wonder you flatlanders are all so lazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom