Moved on up: 40 to 200 - what to do first? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really miss my FJ 40 ... but the 200 is so much nicer on long trips.

My first mod's on the 200 were skid plates, tires (R/T), then later LRA aux fuel tank and rear bumper.

My 40 in the Mojave.

P0019.jpg

Check my thread out. I’ll show you what worked for me and what didn’t work.

Hit up @Ozark cruiser at Ozark Overland Outfitters for the “Nolen” package lift lol
yeah, I think I've read the whole thing twice! Definitely want to do the hidden winch and drawers and lift. Might not do airbags since I won't be towing too often.

I like the Iron man stuff and they run a lot of 25% off sales and free shipping. I've got the 2.5" lift , front bumper, 12K winch, and an RTT. Got them all when they were on sale and got free shipping. Shipping is a huge factor. About $300 + on an RTT or bumper.

I went with the Gamiviti Expo ++ for the rack. Very stout and can hold about anything. Lots of other stuff in my build thread( link in signature below). The Keon shelf is one of my favorite easy mods. Several other companies making similar shelves in the US now.View attachment 3180292View attachment 3180294
Good info, thanks. My favorite part of this picture just might be the three headphones! That was my first purchase. Also, I picked mine up in Mt Pleasant. :rofl:

When I built mine, I just added as I needed. While I'd be out cruising trails and finding fun places to fish, I'd find myself saying, 'x sure would be helpful here'. So I'd add 'x'. Tried to keep the build pretty basic, with the exception of 34" tires. Did those just for fun and because they look great.

I'll add drawers next because I'm tired of the rooftop box. Need more security and less wind noise/drag - though it probably won't help MPG much but every little bit helps on these things.I need some lights too - which I"m reminded of every winter when it gets dark at 4:00 PM.

IMG_6089.jpeg

Looks great. Tires look like KO2s? If so, what size specifically and did it require any mods to KDSS or anything else? I'd love to do 34s but wasn't planning to get new rims. I'm thinking 34s wouldn't work on stock rims.

Looks great. Tires look like KO2s? If so, what size specifically and did it require any mods to KDSS or anything else? I'd love to do 34s but wasn't planning to get new rims. I'm thinking 34s wouldn't work on stock rims.

Thanks - yeah, KO2 285/75/17. The extra sidewall is really nice and makes the ride a little softer that the 33’s on OEM 18’s were, which I like. Also great when aired down. You could do a 34 on OEM 18’s but I wanted the extra sidewall so went with 17’s in a +25 offset. I ran the OEM18’s with a 33” tire but a 34 would likely work with some moderate trimming. Anything larger than a 34 will take quite a bit of work (KDSS relocation, remove mud flaps, a lot of wheel well work and maybe a body mount chop). Wasn’t worth the headache to me. 34’s with stock gearing is fine too - may regear at some point but it’s fine the way it is so probably not.

Check out the wheel and tire database sticky. Tons of useful info there for wheel/tire combos that others have used.

One more thing - 33’s are definitely the ‘smart choice’. They require almost no extra work to fit, don’t take as much of an MPG hit and just much more practical in almost every way. It’s probably the perfect size. But the LC just looks SO damn good on 35’s and 34’s were my compromise.

The KO2’s tend to run small and on my truck are about as large as I’m comfortable with. A ‘true’ 34 may pose some problems that I didn’t have to deal with since they run a bit small.

Search around though - tons of threads on the topic.

One more thing - 33’s are definitely the ‘smart choice’. They require almost no extra work to fit, don’t take as much of an MPG hit and just much more practical in almost every way. It’s probably the perfect size. But the LC just looks SO damn good on 35’s and 34’s were my compromise.

The KO2’s tend to run small and on my truck are about as large as I’m comfortable with. A ‘true’ 34 may pose some problems that I didn’t have to deal with since they run a bit small.

Search around though - tons of threads on the topic.

yep

Literally as soon as i lifted i knew my 33s were done in my eyes LOL.
The 33s were put on the same week and i just said f it and lifted the truck to complete the look.
And yeah, 34s on my 8 speed would still play very nicely. I done goofed.

Nominal 33s barely even touched anything, nominal 34s are practically drop in on the LX given you have aftermarket wheels or spacers.

yep

Literally as soon as i lifted i knew my 33s were done in my eyes LOL.
The 33s were put on the same week and i just said f it and lifted the truck to complete the look.
And yeah, 34s on my 8 speed would still play very nicely. I done goofed.

Nominal 33s barely even touched anything, nominal 34s are practically drop in on the LX given you have aftermarket wheels or spacers.

LOL - same. I ran the 33’s until it was time to replace them but knew I’d end up on 34’s as soon as I added the lift. As far as offroad performance though, can’t say I notice any difference.

LOL - same. I ran the 33’s until it was time to replace them but knew I’d end up on 34’s as soon as I added the lift. As far as offroad performance though, can’t say I notice any difference.

Are your 285/75 KO2s E load still comfy?
Toyo is the only brand making that size in a C load range and I have trust issues with them.
Im thinking about going to KO2 next because i like the tread uniformity and shoulder integration.
Maybe a ridge grappler even. Really like that model, it just doesnt have a lot of siping.
IDK, I go in circles all day.

Are your 285/75 KO2s E load still comfy?
Toyo is the only brand making that size in a C load range and I have trust issues with them.
Im thinking about going to KO2 next because i like the tread uniformity and shoulder integration.
Maybe a ridge grappler even. Really like that model, it just doesnt have a lot of siping.
IDK, I go in circles all day.

Yeah, the extra sidewall definitely helped with on-road comfort. People love to hate the KO2 but I love them - it’s my second set and I’ll be on a third once these are done. I live in the PNW and do lots of travel in rain/snow/ice and find that they’re a great all around tire - except mud. They absolutely suck in mud. But I truly hate mud and tend to avoid it anyway.

I had Toyo MT’s on my 80 and loved them in sand/snow/mud but they were terrible on the street. But it was a dedicated trail rig so that was fine. The 200 is a DD so I need a good all terrain. I do lots of weekend trips into the mountains and the KO2’s do well.

Lots of people seem to love the Ridge Grapplers - they’re both top choices.

Here's the first thing you need to do for your 200:

Move to Moab, Utah.

Ok, you say Moab's too remote. Move to Durango, Colorado.

Just think of all the fuel you'll save not having to drive out west!

Here's the first thing you need to do for your 200:

Move to Moab, Utah.

Ok, you say Moab's too remote. Move to Durango, Colorado.

Just think of all the fuel you'll save not having to drive out west!
True. Been making long trips to Colorado and Utah last two summers. Probably will again next summer.

I'd love to move to Durango or Telluride or Moab. My 10year old is on board, 5 year old wouldn't care, but the ex makes it tough. Such is life.

I pulled the trigger on a 2" Dobinsons IMS lift from Exit Offroad. Thinking 34s with the lift and like @ElJayBird I'm a fan of KO2s. I need something that is good in snow and not too noisy and decent off road and the KO2s have served me well in that regard. For mud I put the Toyo Open Country MTs on the 40, they're my wheeling/beater set of tires.

You may know this already, but one can run 34's with no lift and spacers or alternate wheels. Just need to clear the KDSS in the front left wheel well.

You may know this already, but one can run 34's with no lift and spacers or alternate wheels. Just need to clear the KDSS in the front left wheel well.
I did not, thanks. Any trick to clearing the KDSS? (Still a new thing to me, feel like I got pulled from ‘78 and plunked in 2011)

*Edit-Wrong thread

Last edited:
I did not, thanks. Any trick to clearing the KDSS? (Still a new thing to me, feel like I got pulled from ‘78 and plunked in 2011)

Clearing the KDSS for 34's (285/70R18 in Nitto R/T's are 33.98) you just need factory offset plus 3/4" or better spaced out or equal offset out. Look at the front driver tire on a full right turn and look what it gets near (inside front part). With the wheel offset mod you can run 34's without the lift.

There are some really good in depth threads on 33 vs 34 vs 35 on here. May have been @Markuson who did the testing and the write up.

Clearing the KDSS for 34's (285/70R18 in Nitto R/T's are 33.98) you just need factory offset plus 3/4" or better spaced out or equal offset out. Look at the front driver tire on a full right turn and look what it gets near (inside front part). With the wheel offset mod you can run 34's without the lift.

There are some really good in depth threads on 33 vs 34 vs 35 on here. May have been @Markuson who did the testing and the write up.
Curious - are you assuming a different front bumper? My 295/65 Duratracs on stock 18s (33.1”) with 1.25” spacers sound like they’re going to rip my front bumper off when I back up at almost full lock. I can’t imagine what another ½” radius would be like.

Curious - are you assuming a different front bumper? My 295/65 Duratracs on stock 18s (33.1”) with 1.25” spacers sound like they’re going to rip my front bumper off when I back up at almost full lock. I can’t imagine what another ½” radius would be like.

It was Mcgaskins who did the write up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom