Move to 2016+ LC200 or stick with 2008 LC200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a 2010 and went to a 2016. I like everything more except:

- The 8 speed feels like a downgrade. The 1 <-> 2 shift sucks, even with the TSB.
- Rear entertainment screens. Why.
- My steering wheel leather is worn off in several places.
- I have an issue with Bluetooth call quality. If I turn the volume up, every caller hears their voice echo.

It's worth the upgrade, but I HIGHLY suggest you test drive the 8 speed. My wife actually prefers it more than the 6 speed, but every time I get in, I turn the ECT power button on, which helps with the shifting.

I have a thread in the 300 section on my 200 vs 300 one week review..

If the 200 feels like a 2010 vehicle, then the 300 feels like a 2018 model... not 2022 vehicle material.

Moral of the story is the LC is not destined to feel like a modern vehicle, so best to pick the model year that has the features-to-price ratio you like best and stick with it.
That is what I was getting at. If someone is always chasing features (even with the 200) most years something got better. I think we are in this transition period now where in the next 3-7 years those changes are going to me exponential: EV, hybrids, driving aids,…. What if in 2 years they release a hybrid 300 that gets 35 mpg in town, a plug in version, self drive,…. About 20 years ago my wife and I chased the features (I joke we are both car addicts in remission) it lead to a new vehicle every 2-3 years for about 12 years and blowing a ton of money.

Also used vehicle prices are crazy right now. I could sell my ‘13 LX (103k miles) for $50-55k. I paid ~$65k new for it in 2014. My cousin just sold a ~20 year old Ram 3/4 ton diesel for ~$5k more then he paid new.

For me unless my ‘13 LX gets totaled no way I would buy a vehicle now. Likely not in the next 3-5+ years.

Thanks, all. With your advice, I am going to keep the '08 and make the following upgrades to 'bring it up to speed'...
1. Install a GROM v2 to add apple/android functionality while keeping the same screen configuration; Toyota Land Cruiser 2020-2021 GROM VLine VL2 Infotainment System CarPlay Android Auto - https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/toyota-land-cruser-2020-2021-vline-carplay-android-auto-infotainment-system-navigation-upgrade.html
2. Add an ARB bull bar with an led light kit for use on Texas back roads and ranches.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Keep the 2008. To me it look and feels more utilitarian then the later models. I drove a 2018 for a weekend. It is a nice vehicle but it didn't feel all that much difference. Outside the transmission gear changing. I'm at 220k on 2008 LC and just don't feel the need to upgrade. Good luck on your decision 👍

Thanks, all. With your advice, I am going to keep the '08 and make the following upgrades to 'bring it up to speed'...
1. Install a GROM v2 to add apple/android functionality while keeping the same screen configuration; Toyota Land Cruiser 2020-2021 GROM VLine VL2 Infotainment System CarPlay Android Auto - https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/toyota-land-cruser-2020-2021-vline-carplay-android-auto-infotainment-system-navigation-upgrade.html
2. Add an ARB bull bar with an led light kit for use on Texas back roads and ranches.

Good decision.

You'll likely want to add the OE strut spacer up front if you don't already have it.. the bull bar will add enough weight to the front to impact ride height.

That is what I was getting at. If someone is always chasing features (even with the 200) most years something got better. I think we are in this transition period now where in the next 3-7 years those changes are going to me exponential: EV, hybrids, driving aids,…. What if in 2 years they release a hybrid 300 that gets 35 mpg in town, a plug in version, self drive,…. About 20 years ago my wife and I chased the features (I joke we are both car addicts in remission) it lead to a new vehicle every 2-3 years for about 12 years and blowing a ton of money.

Also used vehicle prices are crazy right now. I could sell my ‘13 LX (103k miles) for $50-55k. I paid ~$65k new for it in 2014. My cousin just sold a ~20 year old Ram 3/4 ton diesel for ~$5k more then he paid new.

For me unless my ‘13 LX gets totaled no way I would buy a vehicle now. Likely not in the next 3-5+ years.
Sounds familiar! I wish I had car buying control when I bought my first 200 back in ‘08 and just kept it as my only vehicle for the next 10years instead of buying multiple cars that brought temporary satisfaction “cool factor”. I made a deal with my wife that my current ‘20 200 is the only vehicle I will buy for the next 10yrs. I’m a recovering car addict

I had the ARB bull bar on my previous ‘08 when I lived in Colorado and wish I didn’t do it. The driving dynamic is so much worse in braking and cornering even with appropriate suspension and spring weight. I used the deer strike excuse to get one as I was surrounded by them and Elk. If you need it for ranches, then an actual push bar with rubber up front is much more useful. Just my .02

I too am a recovering car addict, I have owned over 40 vehicles and I am not even 40 myself lol. I say recovering because I still have bouts of relapse lol. I do find myself finally getting tired of the game though and the recent madness in car values has played a large role in that.

In regards to the 200 dilemma I agree that the incremental upgrades of the 16+ aren't worth the hassle of making the change and the current market madness just adds as a further detractor. That said, I think outside of price, the 2016+ is the best 200, the headlights, bigger brakes and 8-speed all play into that justification. I am one of those that doesn't care for how Toyota implemented Adaptive Cruise in the 2016+ 200, at least when compared to Ford and RAM which IMHO both have better systems.

Unless your older 200 is at 400K+ miles and in need of a major overhaul then I agree with keeping it and doing some small updates to reignite and refresh your interest in it.

I am turning 50 this year started driving with license in 1988. I have bought for me exactly 7 vehicles: 1977 Ford F100, 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, 1997 Toyota T100, 2016 LC, Honda ST110, Buell XB9R, 2012 Honda ST1300. In the time I have know my wife she has had 4 vehicles: Pontiac Grand Prix, 2003 Infiniti G35, 2006 Honda Pilot, 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe. So 11 vehicles total of which 3 were motorcycles. We still have 4 of the above T100, LC, G37, ST1300. I can't imagine owning 40 vehicles. I not sure at this point I will break 20 total before I pass away.

I am turning 50 this year started driving with license in 1988. I have bought for me exactly 7 vehicles: 1977 Ford F100, 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, 1997 Toyota T100, 2016 LC, Honda ST110, Buell XB9R, 2012 Honda ST1300. In the time I have know my wife she has had 4 vehicles: Pontiac Grand Prix, 2003 Infiniti G35, 2006 Honda Pilot, 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe. So 11 vehicles total of which 3 were motorcycles. We still have 4 of the above T100, LC, G37, ST1300. I can't imagine owning 40 vehicles. I not sure at this point I will break 20 total before I pass away.

Like I said, it's a disease, same for motorcycles, over 30 of those now as well. I always tell my wife, it's a cheaper and safer addiction than street ladies, gambling, booze, drugs, betting on the ponies, etc. Lucky for her and my sanity, it has slowed way down in the past few years and I am settling in to what I truly like. I am happy to report that I have that finally figured out, well for the most part lol.

Like I said, it's a disease, same for motorcycles, over 30 of those now as well. I always tell my wife, it's a cheaper and safer addiction than street ladies, gambling, booze, drugs, betting on the ponies, etc. Lucky for her and my sanity, it has slowed way down in the past few years and I am settling in to what I truly like. I am happy to report that I have that finally figured out, well for the most part lol.
I’m with you, just have to live one day at a time. I’ve had only my LX for 8 years now and my wife has only had 2 cars since 2006 (a 2006 MB e 4matic and Tesla model 3). You can do it!

I've gone through quite a few vehicles but my true love/addiction...bicycles. Specifically handmade bicycles. Anyway, I digress. Interesting dialog here. We've got a 2008 and the only reason I would consider upgrading is for the LED headlights and Bluetooth audio. Our kids are getting very close to driving and we're toying with the idea of giving the kiddos the 08 and finding us a 13-15. I think they're the real sweet spot in terms of the minor styling upgrades, headlights and such.

I've gone through quite a few vehicles but my true love/addiction...bicycles. Specifically handmade bicycles. Anyway, I digress. Interesting dialog here. We've got a 2008 and the only reason I would consider upgrading is for the LED headlights and Bluetooth audio. Our kids are getting very close to driving and we're toying with the idea of giving the kiddos the 08 and finding us a 13-15. I think they're the real sweet spot in terms of the minor styling upgrades, headlights and such.
Yep! The only thing I would trade my '13 for would be a killer deal on a low mileage '14 or '15.

Good decision.

You'll likely want to add the OE strut spacer up front if you don't already have it.. the bull bar will add enough weight to the front to impact ride height.
Great call! Good news is it already has an Ironman lift with 500lb+ weight springs. So, she should be set!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom