Mov(ed) to Eugene, OR...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevinmrowland

Forum Lifer
Threads
Website
www.wagongear.com
We are finally done with NY state!

My wife has been offered a nice job in Eugene OR that will give us a chance to pick up shop and move.
We will be loading up the truck and trailer for the drive out in May.

It's going to be a busy spring and summer and during the move WagonGear will obviously be mostly shut down.

The good part is that once we are out there, WagonGear, along with a few other projects will need to be a mostly full-time thing for me.
That means there should be a lot more time available for finishing the development of new products (like side panels for the 80s) and keeping up with production.

I'm not sure how long of a down time there will be since although I have a fairly simple shop to set up, I will need to find a space to set up in, in addition to finding new suppliers, and a place to live, and all the other things that go into a big move.....

It should be fun and we are really looking forward to spending a whole lot more time in one of our favorite states.
:cheers:
Kevin R.

Last edited:
Cool! You'll be in the NW with a bunch of other Cruiserheads. I'll have to come down and pay you a visit some time.

Give some thought to befriending the folks at metaltech...its a good, design intensive firm that should resonate with your work. Perhaps some collaborations are possible. Good luck Kevin.

Cool! You'll be in the NW with a bunch of other Cruiserheads. I'll have to come down and pay you a visit some time.
I'm not sure I want to give you my address, beginning to think your'e stalking me...... Or have at least subscribed to my forum. :p
The move will be good though, I will be a lot closer to the majority of my customers.
You will be able to come down to install those flip up windows....

Give some thought to befriending the folks at metaltech...its a good, design intensive firm that should resonate with your work. Perhaps some collaborations are possible. Good luck Kevin.
Mark is a great guy and they make awesome products, very well thought out and well made, the kind of stuff I like to see. We've talked on the phone a few times but I'm looking forward to meeting in person.
The good thing is that we make very divergent products so I shouldn't be stepping on anyones toes. :doh:
Not to mention that he will be 2.5 hours from where we are headed.

Helll, the State of Jefferson is only a couple hours south! You'll have to make the McGrew trail run with us in July! Welcome to Oregon! :cheers:

Hey Chris! Thanks for the welcome.

Lots to explore down in "Jefferson", I'm sure we will be down that way plenty.
I'm looking forward to taking my wife out to Sourdough Camp as soon as possible and hope to make the Mcgrew run.

I made a sneak appearance on the last night of the run two years ago and had a great time.
cheers,
KR

I'm not sure I want to give you my address, beginning to think your'e stalking me...... Or have at least subscribed to my forum. :p
The move will be good though, I will be a lot closer to the majority of my customers.
You will be able to come down to install those flip up windows....

You read my mind :D

Kev I got the goods yesterday! Thanks for everything and I'm glad I made the cut before the big move. 80 side panels? I've been thinking about those for a while, I'm looking forward to your design! Good luck with the move and safe travels!

Justin

Hey, welcome to the west coast! Do you think you'll miss the rust? At least Eugene has lots of rain to keep your rust bugs wet.

Kev I got the goods yesterday! Thanks for everything and I'm glad I made the cut before the big move. 80 side panels? I've been thinking about those for a while, I'm looking forward to your design! Good luck with the move and safe travels!

Justin
Good! glad it made it there safe and sound.
After the move I should have much easier access to an 80 series truck for the final work and testing on the 80 series side panels.
Will keep you posted.

Hey, welcome to the west coast! Do you think you'll miss the rust? At least Eugene has lots of rain to keep your rust bugs wet.
"No f*@#ing salt on the roads" was actually at the top of our list of requirements. :p
Will be looking for a clean 60 body as soon as we touch down, mine is officially toast, and I've already replaced it once.

Well, they use Magnesium Chloride down here but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems that I notice... We'll see.

Welcome to Oregon!

Eugene is a good place for a 4x4 lover,within an hour you can be in the desert,mountains,sand dunes & ocean,mud,snow you name it. I see alot of cool creations come from Oregon so you should feel right at home. When you get all settled in,look me up(Im 35 min from Eugene)and we can hit the trails,maybee get a group of us locals togther for some fun. Once again welcome to Oregon! Brian.

Thanks Brian, we really like the area, there is easy access to so much.
Even spots in CO, UT AZ etc, seem close in comparison to what were are used to.
We drove up through your area as well on our way out of Eugene, not far at all.
KR

Welcome to Eugene!! I hope you like the smell of petuli oil. Hippies have taken over. Stay in west Eugene if you can :). I have been drooling over your panels since i got my cruiser a month ago. I am surprised your wife got a job here. Lane county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country as of a few months ago. Well...have a safe trip and I look forward to being a customer.

No salt but plenty of holes and crumbling roads to tear up your front end!!! You'll see the first time you drive 126 out to Florence! Welcome to Oregon!!

blowout moving sale ???:D

good luck in oregon...welcome to the right coast

Welcome to Eugene!! I hope you like the smell of petuli oil. Hippies have taken over. Stay in west Eugene if you can :). I have been drooling over your panels since i got my cruiser a month ago. I am surprised your wife got a job here. Lane county has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country as of a few months ago. Well...have a safe trip and I look forward to being a customer.

DamnHipies.....
And no, I don't like the smell of petuli oil!
The hippies seem to be to lazy to get very far though, there are a few hiding out in the woods still, but most of them seem to have to stay within sight of a coffee house.
I think we will be able to manage, the city seems to end quite fast, ideally we would like to find something outside the city anyway.
We were a bit surprised about the job as well, but not really. It is a fairly specialized position and my wife has a ton of pertinent experience, plenty of advanced degrees, interviews well, was exactly what they were looking for.....etc.

No salt but plenty of holes and crumbling roads to tear up your front end!!! You'll see the first time you drive 126 out to Florence! Welcome to Oregon!!
Have you been to the northeast? PA perhaps?
The road to Florence looks like the Autobahn in comparison. :p
I've driven all over the state and I can't remember a road that made me even wince!

blowout moving sale ???:D

good luck in oregon...welcome to the right coast
Yeh........... Not really.
I can barely keep things on hand as it is, really nothing to unload anyway, thats probably a good thing. :doh:

i just realized i wont have to pay shipping when i get some panels now!!!

DamnHipies.....
And no, I don't like the smell of petuli oil!
The hippies seem to be to lazy to get very far though, there are a few hiding out in the woods still, but most of them seem to have to stay within sight of a coffee house.
I think we will be able to manage, the city seems to end quite fast, ideally we would like to find something outside the city anyway.
We were a bit surprised about the job as well, but not really. It is a fairly specialized position and my wife has a ton of pertinent experience, plenty of advanced degrees, interviews well, was exactly what they were looking for.....etc.

Come check out Cottage Grove 20mi south of Eugene. way less hippies and lower taxes than (venita and elmira west of Eugene) also junction city isn't bad either. CG also has great schools still not like Eugene.
Best of luck in your move (movins alot-o-fun!) :steer:

Adam.

i just realized i wont have to pay shipping when i get some panels now!!!
Yup! And you can pay cash!
Not to mention that we can install them at the same time if you like.

Come check out Cottage Grove 20mi south of Eugene. way less hippies and lower taxes than (venita and elmira west of Eugene) also junction city isn't bad either. CG also has great schools still not like Eugene.
Best of luck in your move (movins alot-o-fun!) :steer:

Adam.
We drove down to CG for that very reason. :p
Then went in towards Lorane and up to Veneta. All the roads in that crescent are highlighted on our map now as well, drove pretty much everywhere that wasn't a dead end (and some that were).
CG definitely seemed a little more in touch with reality as did Junction City and even Coburg for what it's worth.
Most of Springfield felt a little too much like the burbs, and then the south end of town was a bit sketchy. :p
But what about Veneta? It was a bit flat for our tastes but I also couldn't tell if the hippies were in control or not?

For starters we are probably going to end up renting a cheap apartment and a cheap shop space right in Eugene.
That way we can make sure everything is going to work out, Amy can bike to work so we only have to take the truck out there, I will be close in to all the powder-coating, laser-cutting, welding supply places I will need, and we can see if we like it.
We are keeping our eyes out for a nice private place with a shop in the country as well, but that seems less likely to happen right off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom