Mounting ram mount ball on a pillar grab handle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for a good way to mount my phone to use with the OBD1 Toyocom reader. I was thinking if I mounted a ram mount ball off of the lower bolt hole on the a pillar grab handle that might work. When not in use it would not be in the way. There would just be a ram mount ball near the bottom bolt hole of the a pillar grab handle. When I wanted to use it I could use something like a 6" "arm" to get the phone located right down near the dash in that corner. Has anyone made a mount like this or used this mount location?

Interesting idea, I have a tablet mounted like wits end useless cubby, and the torque app on the andriod stereo.
IMG_6205.jpg

I experimented with making a little bracket that bolted under that lower handle mount so you could thread in a 1/4-20 ram mount with 1” ball. Ultimately I just didn’t like the placement so I never went further with it. Maybe I’ll go dig it out of the rejects bin 🤔

Not really my cup of tea to have anything mounted there, but I have seen a guy use one of these. He just removed the lower bolt holding the handle and put this in its place. Not sure if he had to swap the included allen bolt though. -

Amazon product ASIN B005J43I56

Not really my cup of tea to have anything mounted there, but I have seen a guy use one of these. He just removed the lower bolt holding the handle and put this in its place. Not sure if he had to swap the included allen bolt though. -

Son of a bitch! I did exactly that. Just drilled out a ram ball. But yeah, wasn’t my cup of tea as well.

I've had this on mine for several years. Had to use a different length bolt and 3 of the short couplers. Tucked the power wire under the molding along the door.

It's not really my first choice either. But I don't want to block the a.c. vents, switches or any of the idiot lights on the dash. I would rather have it mounted higher up than down by the center console. But might look at that as well.

I saw someone on here do it a while back and stole the idea. I bought a motorcycle handlebar mount ram ball (has a steel sleeve in it) and replaced the bolt with a different allen head cap bolt that goes through everything. Tried a few different arms but the dual bend was the only one i could get to work. I like the placement. Since i'm tall it doesn't block much as i can see over it and it doesn't interfere with my hands on the wheel and i can quickly change songs or answer a call with my left hand.
Motorcycle Ball Mount
X Grip
Arm

Does anyone else just get a big ol grey box whenever someone posts amazon links like this?

1557329047441.png

That's your adblockers.......

I’ll be taking the lower bolt off and heading to Lowe’s this weekend to find a replacement to attach the ram ball. Anyone know what size it is?

Sorry just noticed this was in the 80 series forum. I got a 200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom