Mounting of a OEM FJ40 PS box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I'm looking into putting some PS on my FJ40.
So the OEM PS box has a much stepper angle than a mini truck box, so would this still work?
IF that does not work then where would I be able to find a bracket that would?

No, that is designed for the mini-truck ps box. An OEM box would just mount on the existing pedestal. If your confused about what works and what doesn't, I would call Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids in Stockton. He has a complete kit and can answer questions.

No, that is designed for the mini-truck ps box. An OEM box would just mount on the existing pedestal. If your confused about what works and what doesn't, I would call Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids in Stockton. He has a complete kit and can answer questions.
What about the rag joint joint and all for that will I need to purchase anything of that nature?

IIRC the shaft is a different length but other than that the gear box mounts right up pitman arm and all.

what year rig are you trying to install the box onto?
why OEM PS versus the mini truck?

A 1976, and because I possibly have one available.

what pump are you going to use?
cooler piping or aftermarket cooler?
the OEM box will mount directly to the OEM pedestal
the steering column needs to be spaced out into the cabin slightly to clear the difference in the 2 steering boxes
the same rag joint is used whether it is manual or power steering

the steering column needs to be spaced out into the cabin slightly to clear the difference in the 2 steering boxes
the same rag joint is used whether it is manual or power
I mean so far I was just looking at a cooler and pump from jtoutfitters.

I had not heard of this option. Is this being done by adding a spacer at the firewall and moving the whole column or a spacer end of the column? End the column not dealing with the angle at the firewall. Still perfer finding the correct steering shaft or shorting a manual steering shaft.

I had not heard of this option. Is this being done by adding a spacer at the firewall and moving the whole column or a spacer end of the column? End the column not dealing with the angle at the firewall. Still perfer finding the correct steering shaft or shorting a manual steering shaft.
Something like this?
I mean if I didn’t opt for this then would the steering shaft be pushed more into the cabin?

Something like this?
I mean if I didn’t opt for this then would the steering shaft be pushed more into the cabin?

That has actually the column modified as well. The piece welded on that bolts to the bottom of dash is not stock. Stock it is a two piece clamp with a rubber pad. It also from another market if for a 84 model. US has a collapsible column 8/80+. Those are easy to modify for power steering. Just need to cut the short lower shaft and drive a hole.

It's the moving column up I hadn't hear of. Not sure I am a fan of moving steering wheel closer to the driver's seat.

That has actually the column modified as well. The piece welded on that bolts to the bottom of dash is not stock. Stock it is a two piece clamp with a rubber pad. It also from another market if for a 84 model. US has a collapsible column 8/80+. Those are easy to modify for power steering. Just need to cut the short lower shaft and drive a hole.

It's the moving column up I hadn't hear of. Not sure I am a fan of moving steering wheel closer to the driver's seat.
So just trimming the colum to adjust for the movement of the shaft should work then?

So just trimming the colum to adjust for the movement of the shaft should work then?

Shortening the steering shaft is all that needs to be done. But neither end is just a bare shaft. The end closer to the steering box would be easier to deal with verses where the steering wheel, ignition switch and turn signal switch are.

up until 1980 the steering shaft was 1 piece from the rag joint to the steering wheel. splines on the steering wheel end and the rag joint coupler on the steering box end. you can't just cut the shaft shorter with out welding the coupler back on, which opens up problems if there is an accident.
easy way to work around shortening the shaft is to space it out at the firewall which moves the steering wheel closer to the driver, which if you are a large person can be an issue.
the 1981+ column are a 2 piece design, made to compress when in an accident. the lower shaft is easy to shorten, cut it then drill a new hole and move the dowel pin.
problem with using a newer 2 piece column in an older rig is the firewall mount is a different shape, the hole thru the firewall is different.
OEM PS rigs had shorter steering columns from the factory, either the 1 piece design or the 2 piece

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom