Mounting new shocks..stripped shock mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replaced shocks over the w/e. Got to the back. Bottoms came off great. Rear driver's was tough. Rear pass. was very very hard. Long story short, got the rear driver top off but could get the rear pass off...the bolt just spins. After looking at the rear driver top, I notice the threads were in very bad shape i.e. the bolt will now not thread on.

So, 1) Should I just weld in some new supports or re thread with a die? Still have to get the rear pass off so welding certainly would be easier (I think).

Also, is there any options on the type of bolt to use on the shock mounts. I do not really like the pin/bolt combo. Has any mounted with Plastic lock nuts? Euro cars do this. Seems like it would work since there is little horizontal force applied to the shocks.

Thanks.

IIRC, a 7/16 coarse die will rethread those perfectly...that's how at least one of mine were done for a while.

As far as the crown nut and cotter pin, if you dont care for it. use a new nut and use some blue lock tite. Blue is removable. but will keep it from vibrating. or Double nut it if your concerned..

Again a clear example of over built. Crown nuts and cotter pins for the shocks! I sure am glad I dont drive a heep.

you could also use a grade #8 lock nut, which is just crushed a little out of shape and they don't come off. No ni-lock on them. I use them all the time on my cruiser.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom