Mounting my Post Vise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scrapdaddy

Standing on the corner
SILVER Star
Threads
I don't how many you know what a post vise is, but if you're going to be pounding on some metal, this is the vise for you. It's for Blacksmiths and made to be hit. A reg. vise will break under heavy pounding.

I'm cementing the post in the ground, in front of my shop, so I can grind on metal and not get the filings all over the shop. The vise has 6 inch jaws and weights well over a 100 pounds.

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

I don't how many you know what a post vise is, but if you're going to be pounding on some metal, this is the vise for you. It's for Blacksmiths and made to be hit. A reg. vise will break under heavy pounding.

I'm cementing the post in the ground, in front of my shop, so I can grind on metal and not get the filings all over the shop. The vise has 6 inch jaws and weights well over a 100 pounds.

View attachment 885561

View attachment 885562

Wow, Ron! That's definitely a vice!

Yeah, it's a big one. I dug a 4' hole, 12" dia. and will cement the post into that. I made the post from 3/8th x4x6 angle and welded them together. I'll fill the tubing with cement, before putting it in the ground. It will be there long after I'm gone. :)

Yeah, it's a big one. I dug a 4' hole, 12" dia. and will cement the post into that. I made the post from 3/8th x4x6 angle and welded them together. I'll fill the tubing with cement, before putting it in the ground. It will be there long after I'm gone. :)

Yeah, it'll still be there when hell freezes over! Good work, Ron! You do things up big!

I got it in the ground. 12" dia. hole, 4 feet deep with a 24"x6" pad and the post is filled with cement, too. 800 pounds of cement. I'm done!

IMG_2387.JPG

Last edited:
"Now that's a vice" (in a Crocodile Dundee voice). I too, hate metal grindage all over my work space.

Thanks Sarge, I'm going to do that, even though we don't have a theft problem on the farm. They would sell it for scrap.

I'm cementing the post in the ground
Ron, how is this working out for you now that it's been in the ground for awhile?
Just got my second post vice and looking for ideas to mount it.

That thing hasn't moved an inch. It's a tad too high, if you look at the picture the leg should be down a bit in the cement. I seem to use it more for cutting and grinding metal than pounding on. I like it a lot, fun to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom