Mounting Corbeau Seat Brackets In A 67 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Picked up a new-to-me '67 40 and am going through it right now to make sure it's safe. One thing I noticed is the PO mounted a Corbeau seat bracket and buckets. Since the bracket isn't for a '67, not everything lines up perfectly. The passenger side rear bolts are missing and it looks like the capture nuts that were there are no longer welded to the inside of the tub. I noticed the sound of a nut or bolt rolling around on take-off/slow-down so I'm betting the PO sheered off the capture nuts for these two and they're rattling around. Since there's no access from the underside, I'm thinking through next steps. Obviously, I need to fix these so they are safe, but also want to "capture" the nuts so they don't drive me insane ;)

Any guidance? Should I just use a step drill to create a hole from the bottom and then coat the hold with rust-inhibitor and plug it once the job is done?

Appreciate thoughts and experiences.

Sure. Here are a few pics.
  • Pic 1 is the left-rear Corbeau seat rail mount. This one is missing a bolt and the the nut that it would bolt into is gone
  • Pic 2 is the same mount but just showing the overview. If I put a bolt in there, it just slides right down. No nut to stop it.
  • Pic 3 is the right-rear Corboeau seat rail mount. This one has a bolt in it but it isn't tightened and I think the welded nut has been snapped off so trying to remove the bolt just spins.
  • Pic 4 is the same mount, just closer up.
If I climb under the rig, there is no direct access to these nuts as they are boxed in inside the tub. I was thinking of drilling directly up through the box to access the nuts in the two spots, adding a thick steel washer to spread out the surface area, and then plugging the holes from the bottom to keep any moisture from entering.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had to do this and if there are any gotchas...or if I should take a different direction.

Appreciate any experience.

fj40-corboeau-seat-mount-left-rear.jpg

fj40-corboeau-seat-mount-left-rear2.jpg

fj40-corboeau-seat-mount-right-rear.jpg

fj40-corboeau-seat-mount-right-rear2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom