Mounting Bike Rack on LX Factory Hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I must be missing something but I just removed the hitch plate to mount a bike rack on my LX. I am used to seeing a hitch with a side hole to pass the hitch pin through to keep the mount in place. In this case, I have four holes in the front but no horizontal holes to slide a pin through. How do I mount a bike rack? Do I slide it all the way in and then put the pin through from behind the bumper?

Would that be stable?
Would that slide in enough for me to see the pin hole so I slide the sideway pin through?
What are these four holes for?

IMG_5501.jpeg

You’re missing the receiver. It slides thru the square hole and bolts into those 4 holes.

You’re missing the receiver. It slides thru the square hole and bolts into those 4 holes.

Just a heads-up, even if you buy the OEM receiver, the bike rack probably will not fit with spare tire installed. I say "won't fit" as in, the rack will be prevented from inserting far enough to align the holes in the hitch and the rack to insert the hitch pin. I worked around this by using a Kuat NV with the anti-rattle cam mechanism and not using a hitch pin at all, however, I eventually just bought a Curt hitch on Amazon (Amazon product ASIN B0007VFM6O) and solved all of my hitch problems.

Just a heads-up, even if you buy the OEM receiver, the bike rack probably will not fit with spare tire installed. I say "won't fit" as in, the rack will be prevented from inserting far enough to align the holes in the hitch and the rack to insert the hitch pin. I worked around this by using a Kuat NV with the anti-rattle cam mechanism and not using a hitch pin at all, however, I eventually just bought a Curt hitch on Amazon (Amazon product ASIN B0007VFM6O) and solved all of my hitch problems.
Or just drill another hole in the rack tube that aligns with the hole in the hitch 🤔

Since ih8mud isn't intended to be an 'ask Siri' method for instant answer gratification from other from Land Cruiser owners, use the search box in the upper right it will lead you TLC answers that many have asked before.

LX 470 Trailer Hitch Receiver Attachment

You'll get used to it after awhile and will avoid any heat from long term users hazing you in the future.

I have the same need for the receiver adapter for a bike rack on my 2004 too and might go directly to Toyota, eBay distributor wants $181.

You could also put a "Wanted" listing in the classified section of 100 series and someone might have a used receiver adapter for a lower price.

Good luck Bud.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Or just drill another hole in the rack tube that aligns with the hole in the hitch 🤔
I thought about that but I always ran into clearance issues with with the anti-rattle mechanisms with the two racks that I tried. I guess if the hitch attachment is just an open tube, rather than a cam or screw attachment, then it would be fine. It seems like the OEM receiver holes are drilled slightly off whatever the standard is. I never found any accessories that worked well with the OEM receiver.

Since ih8mud isn't intended to be an 'ask Siri' method for instant answer gratification from other from Land Cruiser owners, use the search box in the upper right it will lead you TLC answers that many have asked before.

LX 470 Trailer Hitch Receiver Attachment

You'll get used to it after awhile and will avoid any heat from long term users hazing you in the future.

I have the same need for the receiver adapter for a bike rack on my 2004 too and might go directly to Toyota, eBay distributor wants $181.

You could also put a "Wanted" listing in the classified section of 100 series and someone might have a used receiver adapter for a lower price.

Good luck Bud.

View attachment 3126995
Thanks much bud. I appreciate the help here.

The part no for this is 51990-60010.

Two questions:

(1) Is this likely to hit my spare tire? I have the 275-65-18 tire .. that is marginally taller than the factory spec 275-60-18 tire size.
(2) How do I insert the hitch pin? Slide under the bumper and do it from underneath?

Does anyone make a standard 2” receiver that shares that four bolt pattern?

In my case, after installing the receiver hitch I took an angle grinder to the bike rack hitch and cut it flush with the back end of the receiver. No more clearance issues.

Thanks much bud. I appreciate the help here.

The part no for this is 51990-60010.

Two questions:

(1) Is this likely to hit my spare tire? I have the 275-65-18 tire .. that is marginally taller than the factory spec 275-60-18 tire size.
(2) How do I insert the hitch pin? Slide under the bumper and do it from underneath?

I would assume 275/65’s would fit but haven’t tried. IMO that’s the real issue with the OEM receiver, it really encroaches into the spare tire area.

FYI - 1up racks work really well in the LX integrated hitch. The locking mechanism they use doesn't require the use of a pin, so you have some flexibility to move the rack back and forth within the hitch.
Could you send the link to the actual item you are recommending? I checked their website and I don't see the 4 bolt receiver design that is needed for the LX integrated hitch.

Could you send the link to the actual item you are recommending? I checked their website and I don't see the 4 bolt receiver design that is needed for the LX integrated hitch.

Because it’s not there. You have to use the OEM 4 bolt receiver then use the 2” rack.

I ended up cutting a slice off the tube to shorten it so the original hole lined up.

Anyone going to mention that the OPs threads looks so rusted out he may not even be able to thread anything through them to get the OEM hitch bolted on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom