Mounting a TV (TFT) in the cruiser, any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I have a DVD player/Deck for the FZJ80 but I need to figure out how to mount a monitor. I have three kids so there are two in the far back and one in the middle row. I could mount a TFT in the center but I think it would be a little too low for the back kid behind the one seat. I could mount in the roof but don't know if there is room with the slider up there. So what have you guys done? Any pictures of any mounts that would work for all?

That would be a nice location if you could mount it on the top (back of the sunroof) but you're right though i dont know if there is room up there (for mounting brackets, wire routing) and if it would interfere with the sliding cover for the sunroof.

Someone here did a phenomenal job installing monitors he sourced cheaply into his front seat headrests. It looked VERY nice and he did it himself.

Otherwise, perhaps a sturdy roof frame that spans across the B pillars tight up against the headliner. That way, you get around the problem of not being able to mount from the roof due to the sunroof you mention.

DougM

Retrain your children to consider television a treat as opposed to a right. Mine travel in the car for 10-12 hours easily with books, books on tape and clipboards and crayons. They do not watch at home either.

Mounting in the headrest is not that hard if you take your time. Routing the wires through the seat can be a bit of a pain. Only problem would be that you would definately need 2 monitors which can get expensive. Do not skimp on monitors if you want a system that will last for more than a few months. The cheap no name units sold on ebay will blow out numerouse pixels and discolor very fast. I recommend Alpine or Clarion. From looking at mine I think a 5-6" screen would work well. A 7" screeen looks like it might be pushing it.

cruiserdan said:
Retrain your children to consider television a treat as opposed to a right. Mine travel in the car for 10-12 hours easily with books, books on tape and clipboards and crayons. They do not watch at home either.

Mine has to fold the laundry before he gets to watch. But I think it's going to be a whole lot easier to install a DVD than a washer/dryer.

-E

Yeah yeah, I could just give them rocks and hammers and have them scribe hebrew text.. That would help me get some weight on the rear bumper too. However, since my kids are being raised in 2005 I'm not going to treat them like the TV is the devil and computers are bad. If they take an interest in something them I let them run with it.

Hell, if a 7" screen with Finding Nemo on it will shut my 3 year old up and keep my 4 year old from hitting the 9 year old for two hours I'll TAKE IT!! I need to keep from going insane and if it fries their little brains I can always say sorry when they get older...

cruiserdan said:

Well done CDan. I agre that to much TV is bad, only because there is no interaction required from the viewer

But there are time when a TV tuner would be handy. For news and weather forcasts, waiting for relatives at the bus depo....

Sonoranfun; how about making a support that goes between the interior lights to carry a roof mounted screen.

My son (age 3) doesn't see TV at home, so doesn't request it anywhere else. One time on a transPacific flight we switched on the seatback monitor in front of him, figuring he'd quietly enjoy a little Nemo cartoon. Put the headphones on (he knows how to use those - noise cancelling Bose), looks at the screen, practically jumps out of his seat shouting (in 3 yr old talk) "Holy S--t! A talking fish!"

But if I were to put a monitor in a Landcruiser it would be attached to the flip-up center console top.

Anecdotally, I completely agree with Dan. Our kids get books on tape, listen to Mom or Dad read a long adventure book on drives, and get a little toy gift box in the middle of long drives. They never (OK extremely rarely) complain and can handle 10 hours of motor travel a day. Of course, we're driving out West where there's neat stuff to see and watch for vs sitting in East Coast traffic, but that was another personal choice my wife and I made years ago.....

DougM

For REALLY LONG trips, once or twice per year (more than 12 hrs), our DVD player has more than paid for itself. We limit the kids to movie selection and also time.

FWIW, I have a 6" Audiovox mounted on the roof, directly behind the sunroof. It is a close fit and the trim piece required some specific cutting, but I am really pleased with it. Some would also complain about the rearview being blocked and I could see that being a problem if the screen was larger than 6". Really, you can look around the screen in the rearview easily. This particular unit has been very durable the last few years. I have the actual player mounted under the seat with an IR sensor mounted in front of the shift lever, on the raised front of the lip of the lower plastic edge. My son can easily control the unit from the 3rd row seat.

I will post some pics....I could take addl if requested... let me know if this link does not work... :doh:

http://robertteague.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album01

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom