1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting a K +N Air Filter with mini PS

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ55partsBoise, Feb 22, 2004.

1. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

I finally have an easy question. I added the mini truck PS and absolutely love it. After about 100 posts on carb issues, I finally got the rochester running well again while I save $$ for a SOR non smog Aisin. It turns out the rochester had a clogged jet and the Aisin I was trying also was shot.

Back to the story, I found a rubber intake yesterday in a junk yard. I want to use it to mount my K+N filter to the neck of the rochester.

Which side is better for mounting the filter (see photo)?
    Passenger where the K+N would rest on the valve cover, any heat issues?
    Or Drivers side and it droops a little due to the flexible plastic.

Thanks

Aaron

2. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    So, what's the matter with your Aisan carb? If you need a reasonably priced, returnable, Stock, no-smog carb...email me, again. If the Rochester is running OK, then why change? Guess that depends on your application...DD or mostly trail rig?
    I can't tell if you are running a header from your pic, but that would raise your underhood temps. You might want to run your plenum more towards the front of the Cruiser. You could use your existing plenum arrangement, redirect it towards the front of the cruiser and extend it with some steel or aluminum tubing and then attach the filter element, heh?
    GL
    Ed Long :)
    Aun2th@aol.com

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yup. What's wrong with the Aisen?

4. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

To be totally honest, I was running out of time and I knew I was making a mistake somewhere with both carbs. I brought both to a local carb guy and said get one of these working like new. The only thing I asked for was 1) fix the carb that will be the most reliable for me as a daily driver. He did a correct rebuild on the Rochester and tightened up all of the brackets/linkages.

He couldn't get the Aisan brackets and Aisan carb working right. He said the Aisan were good carbs but parts and replacement kits for the Rochester were everywhere and it was a more simple carb. I am sure that it became the mechanics preference but it sure runs well now. It runs like it did for the previous 2+ years. He said the inside of the Rochester was like new and showed no wear/pitting. He also said that the kit was right there in his shop for the Rochester while the Aisan required longer wait times for parts.

The FJ40 goes on a tractor trailer/semi for the move tomorrow so I cannot complain. He was able to devote time to fix it right and it was running well by Friday at 5pm.

Thanks a ton for your guys help and support (Dave, Ed , and Steve). I will be back online next weekend once we get settled in. Thanks Ed for the offer but I never determined why the Aisan wasn't right so I would be apprehensive about another trip in that direction.

5. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Aaron,
    As far as air intake, you want the coolest air possible. Cooler air has more molecules per cubic foot, thus better combustion and performance. That's why intercooled turbo's are a big hit as well. The turbo's compress the air and thereby increase the temperature. The intercooler, so named because it resides between the turbo and the intake, cools the charge air down again while maintaining the boost pressure thus getting still more air into the engine.
    Bottom line,
    Get the coolest air you can. I'd bet a stock setup taking air from outside the engine compartment will perform better than a K&N taking air from within the engine compartment.
    That's my $0.02, Canadian to boot so it's worth even less!!

6. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    cruiser-guy...

"I'd bet a stock setup taking air from outside the engine compartment will perform better than a K&N taking air from within the engine compartment."

Please show me a 40 that has a stock air intake that is outside the engine compartment...At best, the 2F engines, have a bonnett with a hose from the drivers side, that is mounted behind the grill/headlamp assembly, and still inside the engine compartment.

Thanks!

-Steve

7. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Steve, I see what he means. The air from my stock setup comes from an inch behind the radiator but alongside it, so it is basically coming directly out of the grill. You could take a piece of PVC 6 inches long and shove it in the end of the air cleaner and put it right against the grill.

The K&N sits on top of the engine. Heat rises, etc.

8. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Dyno results report that an engine loses about 1% output (on average) for every 11 degree increase in temp. The loss is not really linear but it's a good number to work with.