Mounting a FJ60 Power Steering Pump On an early 2F (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
I am starting to collect the parts for a power steering conversion on my 1977 FJ55.

I have located the hardest-to-find part....the power steering box via @Cruiser Corps

I purchased one of @Racer65 ’s new FJ60 Power Steering pumps to drive it but my 1977 2F does not have the 3 holes I’m the block for the OEM mount.

C84D9FA4-2E15-4F2F-8247-AE5AA322BE97.jpeg

Power Steering Pump for US Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60

I know there are multiple options for the Saginaw pump. I am trying to use this 60 series pump if I can. I am sure someone out there has made a bracket.

The entire drivers side of my motor is clear to make something work.

A040DEAC-B6EE-407B-BD94-7179E585CD4A.jpeg

Is this what you are looking for? It looks like it has 3 bolts, but I might be mistaken. Sorry if it's not right.
444443OC010
It's available for $130 Canadian, but pretty sure it would be a lot cheaper in the lower 48. This should be a
good part number to go with.

Power steering tube. For Toyota | Toyota Parts Direct

We installed the exact set up on Doc Mikes 55 that you sold him.

If you can get your eyes on it you can look at the bracket and how we did it.

I am sending you a video of it but it’s hard to see the bracket itself

Yeah that is a great spot. The smog pump. I pulled that bracket and it is on my shelf and it’s too narrow for the pump but it’s a great place and a competent welder could make it right

(Screenshot off your video)

3E5412FB-02F9-4D53-92D4-C917045D4FFF.jpeg

We used a FJ60 powersteering bracket that lined up with two of the three holes on the block.

A little minor trimming on one side where the rise on the front engine mount is.

Simple set up! Let me know if you need the bracket. I might know where one is!

We used a FJ60 powersteering bracket that lined up with two of the three holes on the block.

A little minor trimming on one side where the rise on the front engine mount is.

Simple set up! Let me know if you need the bracket. I might know where one is!

I actually need 2 brackets and 2 pulleys. And a few other things we discussed.

I reached out to Mike to see if he was coming to the Pig Party so I can inspect it.

Long before all the aftermarket parts were available to us Cruiser owners, the common way to mount the pump on a F or 2F was to use the
stock air pump bracket that mounts to the two threaded holes below the driver's side motor mount. It would take some grinding and shimming
and you'd have to source a slotted adjuster ( from any motor), simpler the better. I probably did my first 50 conversions that way.
Eventually I started building a dedicated bracket for a Saginaw pump. I never tried building anything for a Toyota pump. Rebuilds were twice
the price and never in stock at the local parts places.

Long before all the aftermarket parts were available to us Cruiser owners, the common way to mount the pump on a F or 2F was to use the
stock air pump bracket that mounts to the two threaded holes below the driver's side motor mount. It would take some grinding and shimming
and you'd have to source a slotted adjuster ( from any motor), simpler the better. I probably did my first 50 conversions that way.
Eventually I started building a dedicated bracket for a Saginaw pump. I never tried building anything for a Toyota pump. Rebuilds were twice
the price and never in stock at the local parts places.

Great info. It’s a solid spot for sure and I have that bracket.

I would never have thought to use the 60 series pump until Roger made a run of them. I have always loved the feel of my 60 series power steering with 33’s so I am hoping to get close to that.

This is the bracket. It slides under the motor mount
s-l300.jpg
s-l225.jpg

That was my first thought. It was too narrow for the pump. I’m sure that is where the grinding you were referring to comes in.

Without a pump in hand I can say whether it could work. The Sag pumps were narrower than the opening so the shims were
added fore and aft to line up the pulley. What people don't know is the Saginaw pumps can be modified for pressure and flow.
You can have as little assist as you want or enough to turn 40" boggers at 8 PSI on asphalt

Without a pump in hand I can say whether it could work. The Sag pumps were narrower than the opening so the shims were
added fore and aft to line up the pulley. What people don't know is the Saginaw pumps can be modified for pressure and flow.
You can have as little assist as you want or enough to turn 40" boggers at 8 PSI on asphalt

Yeah. Matching the pump flow to the box and viceversa is very Important.

I just like the looks and packaging of the Toyota setup enough to make it work. Plus for $240 shipped it’s a good deal. Especially if I can make a used Toyota bracket work.

The smog pump bracket I possess is too narrow.

8C975892-C6F5-4F73-8AC1-BE2D66D82A14.jpeg

I think it came off this 1977 2F I’m working with. Can’t remember.

I popped the hood on my 84 and the smog pump bracket for it is wide enough. Go figure. They must have made the smog pump bigger with later models.

Eyeballing the OEM PS pump bracket, it looks like the I could trim it up like they did at Cruiser Corps

Either way it will be in the same general area and I’ll have to figure out the tension rod after I place it since the upper location (stock) if a fixed mount that is run off the tensioner and belt from the alternator.

317709ED-9356-4B82-97A5-3127C0F892AC.jpeg

I'll dig out a bracket I bought from someone in CO years ago that worked. it didn't use the smog pump bracket and it mounted the pump up close to where it would be in the stock location.
I'll get some pics in a day or two.

I'll dig out a bracket I bought from someone in CO years ago that worked. it didn't use the smog pump bracket and it mounted the pump up close to where it would be in the stock location.
I'll get some pics in a day or two.

Right on. That’s what I was looking for. I bet it mounts to the head bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom