Mounting a cb radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
artandmayhem.com
just wondering how many cruiser heads use cb radios and how you have them mounted? I currently use a hand held but would like to upgrade and mount one just not sure what the best place would be.

I Have Mines Mounted On The Left Side Of The Console Which Is My Right Side Next To My Leg.....close To The Shifter. It Works With A Small Cb Radio Well!

I think the best way is to use a remote head as in this model as seen here

They are probably the most popular down here, and you can virtually mount it anywhere you like.
gme-tx3400.gif

Don't know if you guys use AM and FM over there in the states, Uniden make a combo AM/FM radio with a remote head (like Wilsey has pictured), IIRC. (wish they came out earlier, I bought what Wilsey has pictured).

100 TD said:
Don't know if you guys use AM and FM over there in the states, Uniden make a combo AM/FM radio with a remote head (like Wilsey has pictured), IIRC. (wish they came out earlier, I bought what Wilsey has pictured).

we use AM!

looks like the side of the console might be the easiest. I seen this pic on a earlier post https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=51536&highlight=radio i thought this would be an ideal spot but but looks custom and might have to hit up my local stereo shop to see if they can pull it off but you know there going to want big benjamins for that!!

The Cobra 75WX ST is an interesting unit with the cb in the handset. The handset plugs into a small power and antena port which is easily hidden behind the dash. The handset can then be used when needed and stored in the consule when not needed.

You can use a magnetic roof mount antena too and take it off when not in use.

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page...sion=b2822ffbdb90bc7f75c18ca1179c2c3442ee991d

Anyways, I used that unit in my Taco and was thinking about installing the same one in the 100.

calamaridog said:
The Cobra 75WX ST is an interesting unit with the cb in the handset. The handset plugs into a small power and antena port which is easily hidden behind the dash. The handset can then be used when needed and stored in the consule when not needed.

You can use a magnetic roof mount antena too and take it off when not in use.

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page...sion=b2822ffbdb90bc7f75c18ca1179c2c3442ee991d

Anyways, I used that unit in my Taco and was thinking about installing the same one in the 100.

hey calamaridog, thats a real nice compact unit. do you know what makes a cb a good unit as far as reception or is it all in the antenna you use. because i was looking to install a head unit but maybe its not necessary with a good antenna?

I'm no expert, but a good antenna seems and TUNING seems to make all the difference. The best place on the vehicle will be the middle of the roof and after that it is a crap shoot.

The second best place on my truck may be the right rear bumper while the second best place on your truck may be the left front bumper. You have to play around with the location sometimes.

I had a friend who knew what he was doing and we found a decent place on my toolbox to mount the antenna where we got good readings from the meter.

I used a firestix but there is better antenna available.

Cb Antenna!

I'M BEEN IN COMMUNICATIONS FOR AROUND 20 YEARS.....TO GET THE BEST POSSIBLE PERFORMANCE OUT OF YOUR CB IS HAVING YOUR SETUP TUNE TO YOUR RIDE. FOR EXAMPLE: GROUNDING YOUR CB RADIO,NOT UPSTRUCTING YOUR ANTENNA'S OMNIDIRECTIONAL POINTS, AND ECT.......IF YOUR NEED MORE INFO GO CHECK THIS SITE AND SEE IF IT CAN HELP YOU....http://www.cbradioforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=7&zb=6234006
http://www.copper.com/

I'M USING A MAGNUM 257 WITH A WILSON ANTENNA ON MY REAR BUMPER.
http://www.wearecb.com/magnum257.htm THIS IS THE SETUP I CHOSE TO GO WITH! HAVING AN ANTENNA UP ON THE ROOF IS GOOD FOR YOUR ANTENNA TO REACH FURTHER OUT BUT IF YOU'RE WHEELING IN THE WOODS, THAN IT MIGHT BE BAD DUE TO THE TREES HITTING OR GETTING CAUGHT ON SOMETHING. YOU KNOW? WELL HOPE THIS CAN HELP YOU DECIDE ON WHAT TO DO. ENJOY:)

Last edited:
You Welcome.....just Trying To Help!

calamaridog said:
The Cobra 75WX ST is an interesting unit with the cb in the handset. The handset plugs into a small power and antena port which is easily hidden behind the dash. The handset can then be used when needed and stored in the consule when not needed. You can use a magnetic roof mount antena too and take it off when not in use.QUOTE]

This is exactly the set up I use. I bought one 75WX ST and share the unit between all my rigs. For the 100 I use the magnetic Wilson antena so I can completely remove it when I want to. The other 2 rigs have perm mounted 4' firesticks.

looks like the 75WX ST is the way to go with a decent antenna. thanks for the input!

Breaker Breaker What's Your Handle?

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT Chupacabra? LOL

Bad azz -

I installed a Cobra 75WX ST in the center console of my 100. The control box is under the cupholder and the mic cable is run into the center storage box, so the handset can stay in the box. When you want to use it, you can pull it out and shut the lid/armrest without a problem.

I wired it to constant power, from a fuse block from an aux battery. But it would be real easy to tap into a switched source, once you open up the center console.

After a little tuning, I am getting pretty good SWR readings (~1.3). I have a 4' Firestik antenna mounted to a rear tire carrier with a quick disconnect. The antenna cable enters the vehicle at the passenger floor board through a rubber grommet (sealed with silicone). I will attach some pics for reference.

Cheers,

Mike
Control Box.jpg
CB in box.jpg
CB in use.jpg

All i know is one night i was out in tucson Az. we were having some beers around a fire pit and there he/she was the CHUPACABRA !!!! i think i pissed my pants scared out of my mind but like esp had read my mind and handed me another beer and never was seen agian!

Thats a nice set up!! and great pics that looks like the way to go i'll have to figure something out fot the antenna since i dont have the rear tire carrier there really nowhere to mount . Is that control box part of the cb set up or is that where you tap into the power?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom