Mounting a auxiliary battery on rear frame?

Pskhaat

I have started to accessorize, and putting a fridge and my ham radio (mobile) unit in the rear of the vehicle. In Cruisers prior, I have always had under-hood auxiliary battery setups. Alas, with all my accessory electric load now in the rear, why not mount a battery underside & outboard the rear frame area? There appears to be enough space. I fear road grit/grime but there are battery boxes available. I would, yes, likely run a switched positive lead from the primary battery under the hood.

Anyway, anyone else done this? If so how and if not why not?

Pskhaat

why not an AGM battery in a box inside?
Space is at an absolute premium. Need to be able to carry 6 persons (4 children, but they ain't so small anymore) and gear, et cetera. And also trying to keep things as clean and clutter-free as possible.

I haven't come across something like you are referring to. If space is at a premium in the cabin, the how about in the engine bay?

At a former employer we used to use frame mounted boxed to add extra batteries to shuttle buses since space was at a premium under the hood. Never had an issue with them.

At a former employer we used to use frame mounted boxed to add extra batteries to shuttle buses since space was at a premium under the hood. Never had an issue with them.
If there is space in the engine bay, would there be any advantage to instead going frame mounted that you can see?

Shorter cables are about it. Potentially moving weight to the back should help a little with weight distribution a hair. Big cables can get into real cost. Find a place that sells truck parts. Trucks tend to have heavy long cables. A lot of truck parts places can make up new ones in whatever length you need. Welding cable works as well.

Top Bottom