Mounted new Wheel / Tire combo - Not quite sure yet. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
Bit of a story here:

My father gifted me a lifted Gen 1 Sequoia with some truly terrible chrome hurricane style wheels on it when he bought an '18 4Runner. He would not sell the Sequoia because he had just dropped about $4k in the last couple of years converting his crap ProComp suspension to a King coilover setup with some upgraded upper arms, etc. Wanted to keep it in the family so I opened up a space in the driveway for the V8 and vowed to look for some wheels.

in the meantime, my 2nd set of BFG KM2's went all bald on me - after about 4 years of running them in a 255/85-16 with OEM wheels - I love those tires. Great highway manners, love the pizza cutter look, etc.

Running across the Tire&Wheel FS section in Mud, I came across these as a mounted combo - Black Rhino Armory in Gun Black finish and picked them up. Jury is still out. I've never run a 285, and not used to how wide they are, and trying to decide if the 9.5" wide wheels are of my liking for the cruiser long term, or if they are going to get shifted over the the Sequoia.

But as I'd never seen these wheels before, I thought I'd share. The Falkens came with em. Not a bad tire, but not what I'd choose if starting from scratch, but the combo price was too good to pass up.

Not my first choice but not bad either - run them for now while you figure out the long term plan.

They look complicated, are they as difficult to get off and back on?

^^ Agree with @zack, they look pretty good. AT 285's can be frumpy but MT 285's are sweet. Dynapros have the same bubbly look. If you got a smokin deal it's all good

The hard part was converting my hubs to 6 on 12" with 3/4" lugs.
;)

Glad they're black. I'd never want to try to clean those things...

They need more "bolted effects...."

Very tacticool looking.

Not big on the tires but if I could afford wheels I’d buy the armory’s (not in black tho). Somehow the combo doesn’t fit your rig somethings off...graphics and military maybe? Needs more tuff to match the hummer style:hmm:

National guard, guarding some crates at Church during the Campfire. Posed quite well I think

This is interesting. I saw that wheel ad and wanted to entertain the idea of buying them. At first glance I liked them a lot.
Coming from BHM, AL I didn't think the trip was worth it.
After seeing them on your cruiser, I'm not so sure I like them. Guess I'm in the boat as you, in terms of aesthetics. However, I still have the $1k in my pocket. :)

I will have to say that they look better in person than in the pictures, and that I've actally had 4 people whome I never spoken to comment in the last week, but there is no accounting for taste. I like em, but I don't LOVE em. I'm also not used to having an AT vs a MT tire.

I think that if they were an 8" instead of a 9.5", it would look better. They'd also look more proportioned with a 315 / 35" tire. I will have to say that I think my take on them is that they will end up on the Sequoia, will work with the black paint, and I will care less.

I will end up replacing the 255's with my OEM wheels probably this summer and be back with the Pizza Cutters for the win.

I'll also say that the Desert Tan version looks sic on tan trucks.

Last edited:
Hey, even Roseanne Bar has been married twice. Not my cup of tea, but ride what ya got.:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom