Mounted CB on Roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
After playing around with many potential spots to mount a CB, I choose to mount it to the roof. It's pretty much out of the way there. Ran the wires across the PS sun visor and down the A pillar. I know many mount the CB in the empty slot under the radio, but that space is already filled. Here's a pic...
CB on Ceiling.jpg.JPG

I am having the same problem figuring out where to put it,,,, I was thinking about above the transfercase lever mounted to the dash?

Nicholas

Looks good. Whaddya just drill a couple holes right through the roof? :D

Not a good place IMHO.

I had a CB mounted there in an FJ40 I used to have. I rolled it and split my face open on that damn thing. Padded roll bars are the only thing I want above my head inside a Landcruiser. Any room in a tuffy console?

macneill said:
Looks good. Whaddya just drill a couple holes right through the roof? :D

Yep. Used stainless fastner with a rubber grommet. No leaky so far. Going through the headliner is tricky. I cut some room with a razor, then held a short piece of tubing up to the roof, and drilled inside of the tube. This prevented the headliner from getting wound around the bit.

MDH33 said:
Not a good place IMHO.

I had a CB mounted there in an FJ40 I used to have. I rolled it and split my face open on that damn thing. Padded roll bars are the only thing I want above my head inside a Landcruiser. Any room in a tuffy console?

I checked the distance from my head to the CB, and I think it's OK, but best would be to check it while hanging upside down (like you did) - not sure how to do that. I left the mounting bolts long enough that I can build an enclosure, and put some thin padding on it. Still thinking about it, one step at a time. Thanks for the comment, now I'm thinking a little harder...

i bought a TINY cb from radio-shack. it fit in the space under the radio. I had to make a filler plate out of plexi-glass. looks nice.

It can be done without drilling through the roof. I pulled the headliner and cut a piece of plywood to fit from the front, by the mirror, to the roof cross member just behind the front seats. I mounted the CB to that. I put it in in 85 and it's still there today. I also bought some michrophone cord and a mich plug and socket. I ran the wire above the headliner to the pillar and down to the dash. My mich plugs into the dash so I don't have the cord hanging down letting eberyone know where the CB is.

oldman said:
I also bought some michrophone cord and a mich plug nd socket. I ran the wire above the headliner to the pillar and down to the dash. My mich plugs into the dash so I don't have the cord hanging down letting eberyone know where the CB is.
Cool idea. I'll give that a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom