Builds Mountain Goat (BJ74) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After taking apart my 80 series and not keeping track of nuts and bolts I learned my lesson. Now everything gets a picture of location along with a labeled baggy. Definitely not trying to cut corners on this Cruiser.

IMG_2623.jpg

no oil pan gasket ... just glue it back on with gasket stuff
Thanks. Any brand recommendations?

Update: I got some RTV and some Loctite instant gasket remover. Im probably going to go with the RTV gasket

Last edited:
Weird my 77, that was imported from Japan had the same exact converter, identically mounted, wonder if it was done by the same shop that did yours.

Weird my 77, that was imported from Japan had the same exact converter, identically mounted, wonder if it was done by the same shop that did yours.
Who knows? But that would be pretty cool being that we're both in San Diego! Have you had any problems with your convertor? I was thinking about replacing it but if theres no issues then ill leave it where it is.

When I got the truck the batteries were bad, I put two new batteries in and began noticing one going bad within a year, so I went with the vann guard equalizer setup

So far its been working well, I check the voltage on the batteries regularly and they are dead even. The vann guard unit is massive, the only spot I could find to mount it was under the body, so its somewhat exposed, which is a draw back. Its a robust unit used in buses where there is lots of 12v draw, it is capable of 100amps, so you could hook up a 12v winch and it would keep up.

So far its been working well, I check the voltage on the batteries regularly and they are dead even. The vann guard unit is massive, the only spot I could find to mount it was under the body, so its somewhat exposed, which is a draw back. Its a robust unit used in buses where there is lots of 12v draw, it is capable of 100amps, so you could hook up a 12v winch and it would keep up.
Thanks for the heads up on that! I have most of my PTO and it looks a little rusty, or dirty but always like a 12v winch. I will have to look into the vann guard, I may need to come check your truck out to see where you put it and the size of the unit. I will have a box in the back so maybe that will be a place for it.

The standard daily update. Almost immediately I could feel a difference in wall temperature. I hope this serves as a heat damper and improves the audio quality in the truck. I Started with Driver Quarter Panel then moved to the Rear Doors and finished up insulating with doing the Passenger Quarter Panel and the rear wheel wells. Cleaned up a lot of the wiring and route it behind the walls.
Whewww time to call it a day and go check out the Cherry Blossoms and Film museums in Balboa

IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

Last edited:
Tomorrow I should have time to finish insulting the rear, cleaning up some of the rust and I plan on ordering some 3/16 of an inch ABS plastic for my door cards and panelling.

I figured since I plan on keeping the 74 for some time I might as well use a more suitable camera for documentation. Got around to finishing the insulation, got the front carpet in, cleaned a little and drove it to the beach. Jumped into the water and took some sunset pictures. I'm going to have to get into the dash soon I cant stand only half of the dash being lit. Im not sure if the bulb was removed or what but I cant see my gauges damn it!!!

Note: 2 different seats.
Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 11.17.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 11.16.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 11.16.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 11.26.13 PM.png

Sanded down some of the surface rust on the front and behind the grill then tried plasti-dip for the first time. Not too bad and I can always remove it if I don't like it seems.
Also my no shut-off problem seems to have fixed itself I've driven it for the last two days and the clutch pedal has felt good and it shuts off every time. I still will investigate though. Im currently waiting on the parts to come in, so until then the Goat will remain in the driveway.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 6.29.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 6.30.27 PM.png

Last edited:
They dont haha, Im not one bit worried about the engine.
I just drove to lunch and had to stall it to get it to turn off. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to find the culprit. Ive been reading a lot about the VSV but dont really understand that concept yet. Also what is a better way to turn it off instead of stalling out?

There's a small lever in the fuel pump, which cuts the fuel supply to the injectors. You can just pull it to get the engine shut down until you figure out how to fix the vsv shut-off.

Have a look at the second pic on this thread for guidance:

13B-T Fuel Adjustment - Power Increase; ANSWERED!

On the other hand, you could have a VSV failure, loss of vacuum in the system or simply wrongly connected vacuum lines.

Congrats on your acquisition, looking forward to reading more on this thread.

There's a small lever in the fuel pump, which cuts the fuel supply to the injectors. You can just pull it to get the engine shut down until you figure out how to fix the vsv shut-off.

Have a look at the second pic on this thread for guidance:

13B-T Fuel Adjustment - Power Increase; ANSWERED!

On the other hand, you could have a VSV failure, loss of vacuum in the system or simply wrongly connected vacuum lines.

Congrats on your acquisition, looking forward to reading more on this thread.
Thanks for the great info, trying to read this and read up on immunology. I think I overlooked the lever on the fuel pump which Im glad I know where it is now. We'll see how this build goes. I am really enjoying this 74!

Still waiting on parts from Japan... Shipment got delayed by another week, so until then the small details will continue. Threw on the grill today and used the rest of the plasti-dip can for the rear chrome trim. Turned out pretty good, I am curious how it'll handle with the elements. Also learned to not use 3m Painters tape on cars; took a little clear coat off. :bang:

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 1.04.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 1.04.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 1.04.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 1.04.02 PM.png

Slowly but surely getting parts on my desk; filters, thermostats, hoses, drain and fill plugs. Just odds and ends that'll replace 30 yr old parts. I opted out of a windshield for now because of the cost. It is on the top of my list though. I also finally had an hour of free time yesterday so I hurried under my truck and got an oil change done. Got in a new OEM oil filter and Fuel Filter. Im sure the Goat greatly appreciated it. Also Changed whatever oil was ran to Rotella 15w-40.

Also, does anyone know what the capacity of the fuel tank is. Today I filled up because I was on E and I was only able to get 14 gallons in. But some days when Im on E and I throw in 10 gallons I get to half tank. How am I able to get a correct tank measurement on the gauge? Ive read that its 20 gallons but I haven't been able to fill up anything close to 20 gallons. On another note Im averaging 22mpg which is cool.

IIRC the tank should be a 90 liter, which is 23.7 US gallons. My guess is that your fuel gauge is not reading correctly; the fuel gauge on my current Prado differs wildly from the one on my previous Prado, I think they aren't terribly accurate.

Quick Update:

The truck is still alive but has been parked for some time, Im going through the engine bay cleaning all little components and trying to tidy things up when I have time. I've had a family emergency and have been in Hawaii spending time with them.

I also have some leaks Im tackling
1. The front left hub is leaking like crazy - Will need to get a kit from CruiserOutfitters and tackle both knuckles.
2. Im not sure if its the rear main or the oil pan leaking but theres a build up of oil that drips off the tranny. When I get home Im gonna power wash it with some degreaser and check from there.
3. I have an oil leak where oil puddles on the water pump. Not sure what that could be. Any thoughts?

which product did you use for the insulating?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom