Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We have the Kuat NV2 that’s on the truck 90% of the time. When we go on longer trips we also have their swing away adapter which is a great add on since we sleep in the back of the Hundo. It’s a much smoother than our old Thule rack.
B1360FBE-D589-4A57-A4FA-E76DA1CC5022.jpeg

67262C2A-9EEA-4424-A1D5-31CE81A7AC34.jpeg

An old Yakima/Rocky Mounts roof rack on the Toyota Echo in background.

We also have a 8020 rail mounted in the cargo area with a few fork mounts. It gets used when we need 3 or 4 bikes or when we want the bikes inside the truck which doesn’t happen as much these days.

I've got an ARB rear bumper that I'd like to have the bike go out with a swing-out. The spare tire swing out for the bumper has a hitch receiver. Is anyone aware of a vertical mount that utilizes a hitch receiver? I'm thinking something similar to the Surco, but vertical. Northshore is cool, but would put the bikes up way too high.

Love this idea. Wish it could retain the front wheel!

When I carry my own bike around I use my single mount 1UPUSA. However, there are times when I need to haul additional bikes for the kids and their friends. I had some old Yakima roof mount trays laying around. Now, since I don't have bars any longer on the roof I had to get creative. I currently have the t-nuts track on the roof so just drilled a few holes in the tray and added the required hardware and bam there you have it. fairly easy to install and remove since I don't need them all the time.

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_9192.JPG
IMG_9192.JPG
IMG_2370.JPG

I've got an ARB rear bumper that I'd like to have the bike go out with a swing-out. The spare tire swing out for the bumper has a hitch receiver. Is anyone aware of a vertical mount that utilizes a hitch receiver? I'm thinking something similar to the Surco, but vertical. Northshore is cool, but would put the bikes up way too high.

Love this idea. Wish it could retain the front wheel!

look up veloci rack. See if they’ll sell their front wheel holder by itself. Then you could make something pretty easily with that

look up veloci rack. See if they’ll sell their front wheel holder by itself. Then you could make something pretty easily with that

Not bad! I was thinking of creating a 1UP, but vertical, with two of their Van Trays and maybe something like some L-track to mount / position if I wanted to add a second set.

One of those Veloci Rax up top would make mounting a breeze, though.

1606097679824.png

For those with the 1UP systems, what is actually securing the bike down? Is there a pin that slides through or something that keeps the "arm" in place? In my application, I'd want to make sure nothing would shift with it mounted 90° from intended.

4-Right-Facing-open-close-van-tray.gif

4x4Labs has a swing-out kit that you can build yourself, too. Could be an option to have a good base to fab to your needs. Both skewer and wheel-on variants.

1606098237969.png

Not bad! I was thinking of creating a 1UP, but vertical, with two of their Van Trays and maybe something like some L-track to mount / position if I wanted to add a second set.

One of those Veloci Rax up top would make mounting a breeze, though.

View attachment 2504039

For those with the 1UP systems, what is actually securing the bike down? Is there a pin that slides through or something that keeps the "arm" in place? In my application, I'd want to make sure nothing would shift with it mounted 90° from intended.

View attachment 2504029
There's a ratchet mechanism attached to the red lever to prevent the arm from opening. I've had a similar idea of making a vertical carrier out of my one ups. Working on a home brew rack at the moment.

Last edited:
When I carry my own bike around I use my single mount 1UPUSA. However, there are times when I need to haul additional bikes for the kids and their friends. I had some old Yakima roof mount trays laying around. Now, since I don't have bars any longer on the roof I had to get creative. I currently have the t-nuts track on the roof so just drilled a few holes in the tray and added the required hardware and bam there you have it. fairly easy to install and remove since I don't need them all the time.

View attachment 2503948
View attachment 2503949
View attachment 2503951
View attachment 2503952View attachment 2503952View attachment 2503953

UPDATE

added the second tray and a bar across the two to keep them from twisting. Bar is wrapped with electrical tape until I get proper caps and proper rubber to “lock” in the tray to the bar
DE679E72-DB87-4631-A5BC-E52947B6A367.jpeg

3A9165B9-21EB-4D7F-8E06-BEAA7E2FAE81.jpeg

View attachment 1141035

Another vote for 1upusa...

I had a Thule vertex 5 bike rack and it was a PITA. Bikes bounced around, fork stanctions were scratched and that was enough for me to put it on Craigslist.

The 1up will carry between 1 and 4 bikes. I don't recall how small of a bike it will hold but for sure it will hold 20, 24, 26, 27.5, 29" in bikes. Will work with road bikes and fat bikes. As stable as can be. No bike damage during transit - on or off road. Ridiculously easy to mount/dismount rack, and bikes. I love it. It folds up and down.

With my labs rear bumper I use a hitch extension from Amazon and it fits perfectly with my 35" spare
Any more recent insights on fat/1-up combo?

Ideas on how fat a tire will max out the 1-up?

Reason: health is nudging me to go fat vs std mountain biking:doh:

How fat? This goes to 4.9" wide tires.

Good question.

I recently entertained the fat, thus lacking knowledge on options.

God to see my targeted rack has the option.

Related question: from what I've seen of the back tray mounts, bicycle wheel bases are such that wheels protrude on both sides of the 100s, just ready to get bashed in the field.

What is the scoop on removing front tire and recentering the bike within the vehicle envelope?

My "old school" bikes had the quick release skewer such that front tire was removed and bike was fastened via fork. I have heard that it is not quite so easy w the newer wheel axles.

Good question.

I recently entertained the fat, thus lacking knowledge on options.

God to see my targeted rack has the option.

Related question: from what I've seen of the back tray mounts, bicycle wheel bases are such that wheels protrude on both sides of the 100s, just ready to get bashed in the field.

What is the scoop on removing front tire and recentering the bike within the vehicle envelope?

My "old school" bikes had the quick release skewer such that front tire was removed and bike was fastened via fork. I have heard that it is not quite so easy w the newer wheel axles.

To me the whole point of the tray mount is that you get to the trail and are ready to ride in under a minute (time to put on helmet notwithstanding). I don't think the tires stick out further than the mirror, so it does not feel like a big deal to me.

To me the whole point of the tray mount is that you get to the trail and are ready to ride in under a minute (time to put on helmet notwithstanding). I don't think the tires stick out further than the mirror, so it does not feel like a big deal to me.
I can agree. Though on my old tech bikes (2006 stumpjumper), the front wheel remove/install only take a minute. I have to do this as to carry inside the back of the 100 requires front tire removal (which is currently my system).

Actually, the gear up/gear down takes most of the prep time.

That is exactly how I mount mine. Difference is that my plate is a three track extruded aluminum. Allows slight forward/aft adjust w infinite side to side. I'll post a pic w manufacturer.
Yeah, I like this method best, but when the new bike comes, a more relaxed geometry is going to mean a longer wheel base. I'm pressed up against the folded back seat in the LV now. I'm going to need to look at other options as soon as I get my rear bumper made and my hitch receiver fabricated.

1up owners... How good is the ratcheting mechanism?

I think I've figured out how I will vertically mount my bike. I can't use the typical 1up hitch-mount system as I don't think it will drop enough to clear my tire swing out. However, I have a 2" receiver that is centered on my spare wheel that I am planning on putting a pintle mount on. From there I can flush mount 1up's roof rack system with their supplied T-slot hardware (same mount as the hitch mount but without the hitch base). It will swing out with my spare and I'll still have access to the rear. Simple and efficient.

For mounting the bike I would be ratcheting the bottom (rear) wheel mount into place, more or less, and then setting the bike in. From there I would ratchet in the front wheel for final positioning.

My concern is how robust the ratcheting system is. Are there locking pins or is it strictly tension that keeps the ratcheting tire holders in place? The bike will be in place with me on the trail on my 80 heading out to camp. Last thing I want is a few good bumps knocking the holders off the ratchet.

D68A0E71-5AD0-4162-970E-1D1D4E13D488.jpeg

+

1608340258537.png

+ (imagine it is 90° from pictured and vertical)

3-Front-open-with-bike-roof-rack-black.gif

= SUCCESS (?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom