Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nothing fancy, but this Thule swingout 4-bike carrier has worked for all our bikes. Granted we don't carry expensive bikes.

The bonus is i can open the rear hatch/tailgate with no need to swing it out.

Departure angle?! Not today!

I took the 1” 1/4 to 2” adapter off my bike rack. When it was damaged by a car. And put a 1”1/4 stock steal drilled 2 holes and bolted it to the rack. Then took 2” stock and I slid over the 1” 1/4 stock steel And moved it back and forth until I liked it. I wielded it and now my rack hold 2 bikes and the swing out clear no issues and when I use it on my tundra it works perfect. The tail gate folds down and just enough room to get between.

2F35CA91-EB32-4C42-8776-AE237943E64D.png

80145160-E48F-4BB2-8CD7-8EE3059CCC1E.png

Thule T2 rack. We swap it from wife's Crosstrek to the trailer. We also have Thule roof racks for her Crosstrek when we riding/carpooling with a group.

IMG_20200429_205422_840.jpg

I'm working on this rack for my 40. I wanted to keep good departure angle and be able to utilize the bumper swing out system I recently completed. Also, the cooler gets in the way of a tray style rack. So far it's way too bouncy. More R&D required.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f0f.jpg

KDJjZBptRgOJ9GH5KQ+AWQ.jpg

6eWZbDBhSYesFFSRSRvGWg.jpg

It depends on how many bikes you need to haul.

1 or 2? 1Up or Kuat or Thule.

4 most every time? gimme a north shore or recon.

North Shore 4 currently serves our needs, with a proper departure angle.

A couple swag ornaments on the back on the hundo. I'm a big fan of 1UP; I've been using this rack every weekend for two years, and it's held up well. Their customer support is great, and all parts are serviceable - just like our cruisers.
IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

8B61B360-6B41-4ABB-B824-76E7EEEDED75.jpeg

kuat rack is a little expensive and heavy but solid and expandable to 4 bikes.

Which 1UP do you guys recommend? I've been tossing 2-4 bikes in the back of my 4Runner for months now and i'd like a rack solution.

Which 1UP do you guys recommend? I've been tossing 2-4 bikes in the back of my 4Runner for months now and i'd like a rack solution.

I'd vote for the 2" heavy duty double and a couple of add-ons. It's not going to be cheap but you'll never have to buy another rack. Between the weight and the rust, I was tired of fussing with the Thule and Swagman racks I had. I purchased the 2" heavy duty double and planned on selling the Swagman. Within a month, I bought a 2" super duty single for the wife and 2 add-ons and sold every other rack I had. Two years later, I have zero regrets and still wish I would have done it sooner. I use the single most of the time as I don't like leaving the rack on the truck and it takes less than 5 minutes to install it.

91DBDCFA-6A9C-4B48-9234-46BDB2AEFE9F.jpeg

I'd vote for the 2" heavy duty double and a couple of add-ons. It's not going to be cheap but you'll never have to buy another rack. Between the weight and the rust, I was tired of fussing with the Thule and Swagman racks I had. I purchased the 2" heavy duty double and planned on selling the Swagman. Within a month, I bought a 2" super duty single for the wife and 2 add-ons and sold every other rack I had. Two years later, I have zero regrets and still wish I would have done it sooner. I use the single most of the time as I don't like leaving the rack on the truck and it takes less than 5 minutes to install it.

I've been shopping for a decent rack in the 300-400 range but honestly, based on the information in this thread, i'd rather get a 1UP than anything. I just need something that can carry 2 bikes minimum.

Looks like the one you recommended is $569 silver or $619.00 black. What's the silver finish? just a natural aluminum, i'm assuming?

I've been shopping for a decent rack in the 300-400 range but honestly, based on the information in this thread, i'd rather get a 1UP than anything. I just need something that can carry 2 bikes minimum.

Looks like the one you recommended is $569 silver or $619.00 black. What's the silver finish? just a natural aluminum, i'm assuming?

Yes, the silver is just aluminum. The black is anodized. I like the looks of the black but I'm too cheap to pay an extra $50 for fashion.

Yes, the silver is just aluminum. The black is anodized. I like the looks of the black but I'm too cheap to pay an extra $50 for fashion.

Haha anodized finishes scratch easily and fade in the sun. I'd just go with a natural aluminum.

Right now my 4Runner is torn apart in the garage for a "refresh". Not doing a restoration but i'm more or less fixing the s*** that's broken on it. I need to get a tow hitch on the woman's truck and order one of these racks.

I like this setup, but can't quite sort out how you got there. It looks like have a 2 inch receiver welded to the swing out. Judging by your surroundings, its plenty stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom