1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycles: Suzuki v Honda

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by TheGr8Doughboy, Jul 24, 2005.

1. TheGr8Doughboy

TheGr8Doughboy

Lookin to sell my 60 and buy a motorcycle to DD. The Suzuki SV650 seems like the ideal setup for the kind of riding I want to do and they seem to be right in my price range... what's the catch? Should try to get a loan and just get a CBR600 and be done with it? I've had a motorcycle as my only vehicle before from september till march and I know what its like to be cold.

I'm commuting about 50 per day and three most important things are:
    initial cost
    reliable
    fun to ride

Chris

2. BNC

BNC

First, how much riding experience do you have?

For commuting and your criteria, the SV650 is the better bike imho for the following reasons.

initial cost: You can get a nice SV, first generation ('99-'02), for under $3k. Back in '02 I bought a '99 for $3400 with 9k on the clock. Prices have gone down significantly with the new model comming out (for commuting purposes, there is no benefit to the 2nd gen).

A CBR can be had for the same price, but you would be looking at a bike from the early to mid '90s, one that is very popular with squids who tend to trash their rides. You might find a smoking deal on something, but in general a CBR is more expensive. An F4i would usually be $5k+

Reliability: They are both reliable bikes. Head over to SVRider.com for more on the SV. There is a guy there with over 115k on his bike. Keep in mind that it has only been on the market since '99, so most don't have that kind of mileage, but they can take it.

The CBR is just as reliable, it is a Honda ;)

One thing about the SV, if you ride in rain alot and find yourself in deep water, make sure to put dialectric grease on the front cylinder plug and get a fender extender from Holeshot.com to keep water away from the engine (~$35). It is not a huge problem, but getting really drenched can cause the front cylinder to cut out at times.

Fun to ride: It is a personal thing, but I think the SV is more fun on the road than a supersport. Supersports have very aggressive ergos which get unpleasant quickly, the SV650 (particularly the naked model) has a more upright seating position.

But, the CBR is a high performance machine, and that is fun. Hell, bikes are fun in general.

Also, the torque of the vtwin motor makes its power very usable on the street. The CBR will need to be wrung out more. The CBR is a race bike made to go around a track at 100mph+, it is kind of out of "zone" plunking around at street speeds. To me, a practically minded person, it seems pointless to ride around on a race bike in a place I can't race it. It is like driving a Viper in a school zone, kind of a waste of all that performance potential.

Some other things to consider:
    mileage: I averaged about 50mpg on the SV (mostly commuting), low of 43 and high of 58.

On a CBR, expect to be in the mid 30's, maybe break into the 40's if you really baby it on a slow highway (55mph etc).

Also, the CBR will wear through tires, chains, and sprockets faster than the SV (in stock forms). The larger rear tire on the CBR will cost more than an equivilant tire model for the SV. Basically, the SV is cheaper to oporate.

Hope this gets you started.

If you want to ask more sport riders about this, folks with decades of experience with sport riding, head over to supersportbike.com. :cheers:

3. Hossdog

Hossdog

Had a CBR600, had a Duc 750, would go with the sv650 myself. Great bike for money.

4. firetruck41

firetruck41

SV650, fun torquey vtwin for not much $$$, I loved my old 89 Hawk GT which was a 650 Vtwin (similar to the SV650) and it was more fun to ride than my 2000 Honda VFR 800FI (I still liked the VFR though).

5. mj1015

mj1015

6. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

SV is a great bike. Reliability is a push. Honda may be marginally better, but a used CBR is going to be beat on. I also loved riding my Hawk GT. I've tried to talk my wife into a SV since they came out, but she wants a Shadow.

7. RUfj40crazy

RUfj40crazy

You didnt tell me you were looking at a SV when i talked to you on the phone!

As far as a DD your gonna wish you had the SV if you end up with an F4. My superhawk isnt as bad as the f4 with the ergos, but hey if you want come sit on my bike for about 4hrs and see what your ass says!

I did look at the sv as a secondary bike before i bought the cruiser so i could have something for long distance. Dont think ill ever let go of the hawk just cause its light, hella fast and It really pisses off those guys on busas when they get smoked!!!

8. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

Ducati!

But if you're stuck on Japanese you cant go wrong with either of those manufacturers.

9. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    The August edition of Road Runner magazine has a comparo of 3 all around bikes, and IIRC the Suzuki is in it.

Personally, for commuting I'd stay away from the CBR...friggin uncomfortable for long distances all hunched up....

Also, check out the V-Strom 650....it's a dual sport that a lot of people love for commuting.

Ditto on the aerostitch gear...you pay more up front, but its worth every penny!

-H-

Commuting on the Honda XR650L....

10. scarper

scarper

Get a vtr 1000, I think in US they are called "Superhawks" or something. Get it dynojetted and K&N filter and some pipes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm loud Vtwins, illegal here, but oh so nice !!!!!