1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle Hitch Haul

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tenncrusher, Feb 26, 2004.

1. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

Seem to recall a post on this one, but has anyone had any experience with one of the hitch hauls? Thinking about one and it would haul a 200lb dirtbike. I am thinking this will shift a lot of weight to the back of the truck.

I do run an arb and winch, but think a trailer might be the way to go. But, it would be nice to just put it on the hitch instead of the trailer.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. SeanAndHis80

SeanAndHis80

I run mine on a moto-jack-rack. The motorcycle is ~240lbs the whole setup 280-300lbs on the hitch. I have not yet gotten the airbags for the rear but other than squatting the truck handles the weight fine. With the moto-jack-rack, the wheels hang free - so it doubles as a workstand. This particular setup is about $400 new, I got one off of eBay for a discount.

3. hpantier

hpantier

anyone had any problem with the handle bar hitting the window when hauled this way. I currently haul my bike on a trailer, but this option would be nice too.

4. SeanAndHis80

SeanAndHis80

The bike sits significantly off the back to prevent this with my carrier. This adds to the leverage the bike drags the back down. The only thing I do is to put a little tension between the handlebars and the roof rack to keep things from moving around back there due to the single mount point.

With the exception of rear window obstruction, which I tune out in a few minutes, I can forget it's back there.

As I mentioned to Tenn in PM, it has a bottle jack to get it off the ground - which is great if you are tired after a ride or :doh: injured.

5. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

I think I might stick with a regular old bike trailer. I cannot see myself putting the weight of two bikes on the trailer hitch without having to reinforce the rear suspension. Getting bumped from behind would get very complicated, destroyed bike and cruiser. I cannot even think about it.

6. SeanAndHis80

SeanAndHis80

To carry them on a class II hitch you would have to keep the two bikes plus the carrier under 500lbs.

7. hpantier

hpantier

yeah picking a bike up after riding is always the roughest part of the day for me...when i can't pick it up, i know it's time to quit.

8. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Class II is 350 lbs tongue weight.

Class III is 500 lbs tongue weight.

9. DMX84

DMX84

Made my own here is the picture.

Yes that’s the POS Tahoe I ended up dumping

10. DMX84

DMX84

11. hpantier

hpantier

12. SeanAndHis80

SeanAndHis80

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12126;start=msg111283#msg111283 date=1077844653]
    Class II is 350 lbs tongue weight.

Class III is 500 lbs tongue weight.
    [/quote]

:whoops: ...what he said.

13. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

I sold the one that i had. I just didn't like it. It was a cheapy but once i put my bike on it (which was a chore in itself) the back of the cruiser would squat substantially. I don't have a arb or winch up front, and the bike is an ATK 605 that weighs in at about 280 pounds. Now i have the OME 2.5 lift, and i can't imagine how difficult it would be to get the bike up there now. When it was stock, the hitch-haul would scrap coming in and out of steep driveways. I'd stick with a trailer.

:cheers: :beer:

14. tenncrusher

tenncrusher

Rode a trials bike last weekend.....pretty fun, but I dumped it a couple of times.....if I had been videoed going up a muddy/ greasy hill, it would have made television.....I bet I stepped off of it 4 times......

15. DMX84

DMX84

Yes it’s a Trials bike. That was my old one, now I have a 2001 Beta 270. They are a blast to ride. I compete here locally in the Intermediate class. I got hooked on riding them when my neighbor asked if I wanted to ride his spare bike. I made that carrier to haul it around because I had the Tahoe. The bike and rack weighs @ 210lb. or so I built it to also tow my pop-up with the bike. The total tong weight with pop-up & bike is @ 300 or so pounds. Without having to use straps to hold the bike on the motorcycle sets real close to the bumper and does not stick out very far. I had the motor cycle on the back of my Tacoma and have gone over some pretty rough stuff with no problems.