Motor gaskets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking at getting a rebuilt motor (1F) that has been sitting for a few years. What gaskets would need to be replaced from sitting to long? Would I have to take the motor apart or can I leave most of it as is?

Gasket sets are cheap. If you fire it up and it leaks, replace whatever is gone. Or the other school of thought is to pry the wallet open, buy a set and replace everthing. SOR got a good set, I just did a rebuild on a 2f and had no probs

I baught the gasket/seal set from my local auto parts store, it worked great. While the engine is out of the cruiser, go ahead and replace the main seals, they're a biatch to replace otherwise. As for the rest of the engine, clean it up a bit, get it running then see where it leaks, also check for gaskets substituted with silicone sealant(my cruisr had plenty of this crap), replace with the proper gasket.

The real answer to your question is................another question! Which do you have more of, time or money?

If you don't mind tearing the truck back down after you have already assembled it, then run it.

For my money, I would do two things before I put ANY LC engine in a truck. First would be to pull the head gasket, NO MATTER WHAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER said about the engine, and have a look at the pistons, the cylinder walls and the valves for myself.

Second, I would pull the front of the engine all the way down and change the timing cover PLATE gasket, the one between the plate that the timing cover attaches to and the engine block. REPLACE this gasket ONLY with a genuine TOYOTA gasket.

IF you haven't found any other issues by the time you've tackled these two, then you've prolly found yourself a useful motor. ;)

I agree, after figuring out if the engine is worthy, at the very least replace the oil pan gasket and seal at rear.....basically replace the time consuming and hard to get areas first if you are running low in funds. Some people say if it's a cork gasket replace it. Personally I have replaced every gasket I can if it were me. I used toyota head and exhaust gaskets only but this is my prefrence. Also if your water pump has a plate in the back side open it up and replace this gasket as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom