motor compartment blower? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I may have found a fj60 85 model. I will be looking at it tomorrow. Hopefully the date code is late 85? Posted on door jamb?
That was the other question. I have seen some with blowers under the hood, drivers side infront of the brake booster. some still run "are blowing" after the test drive when vehicval has been shut off? The air is directed to the base of the intake manifold? Is this common? A couple others have not had the blower? Generally have bheen looking at post 85's.

Thanks, Jim

The "blowers" run to help cool the engine compartment, from my understanding there sucking air out. They are on the passenger and drivers side. My 60 is an '85, and it has them. There not working though, I need to figure out what's wrong w/ them.

Sounds like the carb cooling fan. It runs until the temp drops (sensor is mounted near the exhaust manifold) or it times out (20 min?). All I know is that hot-starts are way better since I fixed mine. It actually only runs after you turn off the engine.

They are there to cool the carb and manafolds down. It should run for about twenty minutes after you shut off. All 60's that I have seen have them they don't always work but it seems to be a quick fix most of thr time. It should tell you the month on the door jam.

Thanks

I have cash and hopefully this is as clean as the owner says. The main bummer is he lives in a non emision part of the state and I need to emision. I will be checking close to see if anything has been removed? Plus I would like to get the later 85 just for future easier tranny swap. Long term goal is a diesel. I have seen a couple in Washington "Canadian transplants" and they are all rust buckects and very tierd for the $$

Jim

Are you talking about the black plastic blower body that is fixed near the firewall?

My 62 has one on the drivers side, I have never heard or seen it run. It has not been very hot here in L.A. for a while though.

The carb/manifold cooling fan runs after the engine is shut off. There is a thermostat (or temp sensor) mounted under the carb - on or near the exhaust manifold. This temp sensor shuts the carb off when the exhaust manifold temp cools. The wire to the sensor was broken on mine when I got it but the fan worked great after I reconnected the wire. If the wire is in place, the sensor may be bad or may not be getting a good ground.

im gonna be taking mine off my truck if anyone is intrested in one not shure if its in working condition but if anyone is intrested im willing to try it out... just pm me
TwEaK

emissions stuff

Big Gun: I have some emissions stuff if you are shopping.

Carb cooling fan. Driver's side only. Pulls air from outside to cool the carb and manifold after shut-off. Essential to quick restarts. Make sure it works. It should run after driving for any period of time, even in cooler conditions.

Keep shopping. It is better and cheaper to find a 60 that is maintained/repaired, than to buy one that needs work at a 'bargain' price.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom