motor armature question .. warn 8074 (8274 w/o free spool) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after taking apart my winch to rebuild with the kit, I am now putting it back together. Everything is going per norm until I go to put the motor back into the upper housing...
basically when i stick it through the bearing hole and then put the pinion spacer and lock block on ... there is some play back and forth (pictured)

Im curious if im not supposed to shove it all the way in? because when i leave it out a bit everything works perfectly...
or am I missing some type of clip that retains it ...
take a look at my pics and see if you can help, would be very appreciative

where im pointing with screwdriver shows how it can be pushed further in which creates a bit of an offset on the inion yet its still attached and fine and funs the gear fine, but im curious do I not push it in all the way because when i have it out a bit in the second picture everything lines up perfectly...Maybe im supposed to have some sort of stopper??
IMG_2641D.jpeg

IMG_2640D.jpeg

This is how it looks from inside the housing when its pushed all the way in vs not all the way in ...
IMG_2639D.jpeg
IMG_2638D.jpeg

Is it still sloppy with the body on?
When i went to the 68608 it requires the spacer between the motor and winch head to limit that slop.

i need a second hand to get the body on because i need to hold those four things out to get the motor in place...so
i havnt checked that... maybe that will solve it?

i might have an old keyed motor in the pile if you need me to look at it.

problem still persists with the motor and the pinion movement when in housing...

I would put an appropriate-thickness thrust washer between the step on the armature shaft and the case. Don't know what is stock, sorry.

heres what it looks like on... finally got it on.. i think it looks pretty good.

question - am I supposed to be able to take it and spin it by myself right now? because i tried to grab hold of the round brake think and spin and it kinda wants to but not really. im wondering if when i put the top housing on the bottom if the gears lined up. they must have?

im going to run power to it tmrw morning and see what happens

IMG_2648D.jpeg

IMG_2649D.jpeg

IMG_2650D.jpeg

Am I seeing exposed copper and lugs at those motor connections, up against the band clamps that hold the control box in place? It might be an optical illusion, but it seems like you're going to let the magic smoke out when you fire up that winch. You need to make sure those cable ends are properly insulated.

Last edited:
Am I seeing exposed copper and lugs at those motor connections, up against the band clamps that hold the control box in place? It might be an optical illusion, but it seems like you're going to let the magic smoke out when you fire up that winch. You need to make sure those cable ends are properly insulated.

yes someone else said the same thing today when they were looking at it with me...i dont know why i left those exposed, just an oversight. thx for noticing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom