Motor and Tranny Q's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at purchasing my neighbors 65 forty but have a few questions to ask everyone about their advice and probe their minds.

It has the original F motor and 3 speed, but the PO blew a piston. He has not torn into it to see if that is all the damage or whether the motor is salvageable at all. It also has the factory PTO winch that is in great shape and this is where my conundrum begins.

I drive a lot on the highway 60-80 mph and the three speed tranny is geared too low to allow this. I also love the reliability and torque of the 2F and the four speed tranny. Is it possible and if so how difficult is it to put in a 2F and four speed and use the original t-case and PTO?

Another thought I have is to go crazy and put a HO Ford 302 in it with a toy four speed or a Ford T-18 tranny with the granny low first. The T-18 has a PTO takeoff on it, would it be possible to hook the winch to it, and if so has anyone done it with this tranny or a similar model tranny?

Thank you for your advice!

There is no ratio difference between third gear in 3 speeds and fourth gear in four speeds. Where do people ge this idea?

Umm, 3speed and 4speed have same last gear 1:1. F will spin just as fast as 2F. However, it would be easier to just get a running 2f and drop it in, very straight forward swap. You want low gears, get an sm420, another very simple swap. Lots of info in the tech links. I drive mine to work and go 65-75 on the highway, I have an F-155. I would steer clear of ford, if you want a small block go chevy, toyota and chevy go hand and hand.

3speed tcase to four speed tranny involves just a gear from classic cruisers that has the proper spline count and right gear, other than that the 2 bolt together. Once again I would skip that step and just go sm420. Pto winch dose not work with sm420 from what I know, will work with 4speed. sm420 has a pto too, but I don't think you can use it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom