motion detector flood lights (for the driveway) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright, i'm sick of not being able to see anything in my driveway when i pull in.
just wondering if there were any floodlights anybody is perticular about.

Buy the cheapest one you can find. You also might notice it is cheaper to buy the entire fixture that just the detector.

I have "dual-bright" floods on all four corners of my house. You can set them for different modes - on at dusk and off xx hours later or on from dusk till dawn.

They come on with a dim setting and when something sets off the sensor, they go full bright. You can also set how long they stay on bright.

Mine are on dusk till dawn and stay bright for 5 minutes when triggered.

Seems like they were $20-30 each if I recall correctly.

Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace Hardware all carry them around here.

Eric

Yup, I swaped all mine out to the Dual Brights, work great.

I also have a Fj40 front bib that is mounted on a tree stump(named Sigmond).......the headlgihts are on a motion sensor and light up when you pull up the drive........wicked cool :D
111283223.jpg

Eric_FJ40 said:
I have "dual-bright" floods on all four corners of my house. You can set them for different modes - on at dusk and off xx hours later or on from dusk till dawn.

They come on with a dim setting and when something sets off the sensor, they go full bright. You can also set how long they stay on bright.

Mine are on dusk till dawn and stay bright for 5 minutes when triggered.

Seems like they were $20-30 each if I recall correctly.

Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace Hardware all carry them around here.

Eric

I hated the motion sensor lights. They either not work properly or are too sensitive to rain. Setting the motion detector lights on dual bright mode reduces bulb life and draws quite a bit of energy.

I've replaced all the dual brights with fluorecent flood light fixtures (not fluorecent replacement bulbs for the incandescent bulbs but actual outdoor fluorecent light fixtures). Lights of America has a great selection of these outdoor fluorecent light fixtures. Their 65 watt flood light puts out more light than two 150W incandescent flood bulbs on full bright, and only draws the energy of the dual bright in the dim mode.

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/floods.htm

97 FZJ80 said:
I hated the motion sensor lights. They either not work properly or are too sensitive to rain. Setting the motion detector lights on dual bright mode reduces bulb life and draws quite a bit of energy.

I've replaced all the dual brights with fluorecent flood light fixtures (not fluorecent replacement bulbs for the incandescent bulbs but actual outdoor fluorecent light fixtures). Lights of America has a great selection of these outdoor fluorecent light fixtures. Their 65 watt flood light puts out more light than two 150W incandescent flood bulbs on full bright, and only draws the energy of the dual bright in the dim mode.

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/floods.htm

i thought about using something like this, but that i could wire into motion sensor.
i really just want something that i going to flood my driveway with light when i pull up.
if i could find something motion, but this type of light (bright and low wattage) it would be perfect.
if i find any link's i'll post.
you guys do the same.

Fluorecents aren't much good outdoors if you live where it gets cold inthe winter time.

I'm getting ready to put up some new lighting at the shop. The area between the front of the shop and the road is fairly narrow. Well within the detection limits of the motion units I have. This got me to thinking and I realized that fot my purposes (security) I preferdd to have the lights pointed AT the front of the shop, rahter than mounted on the shop pointing outward. So I'm mounting the lights on 15-20 foot poles on the fence line. They'll point at the building and so will the motion detectors.

If your concern is seeing as you pull into your driveway/approach your house, then mounting the lights near the end of the drive and pointed at the house might work better for you than lights mounted on the house pointed outward.. That way you light things up to see, instead of having the lights glaring in your eyes.

Mark...

mine are all set to stun any incoming trafic.....in car or foot :D an alarm is also set off when someone enters the property........then see my HK94 post :D

FWIW I have only had issue with the halogen (replacement bulb style) Dual Brights, they go thru bulbs pretty fast, the normal ones have been issue free and the lamps last along time(year+)

Mark W said:
If your concern is seeing as you pull into your driveway/approach your house, then mounting the lights near the end of the drive and pointed at the house might work better for you than lights mounted on the house pointed outward.. That way you light things up to see, instead of having the lights glaring in your eyes.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom